Author Topic: News from Yorkshire Cat Rescue  (Read 43877 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: News from Haworth Cat Rescue
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
phew another article published, the yorkshire post has a much bigger circulation than our more local paper so really pleased we got one in that may help people understand cats better.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at-a-glance/main-section/whisperer-who-s-blinking-good-with-fraidy-cats-1-5264511
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
sheila and cazzer
good tactics sheila  :evillaugh:

Barney's slave is a member on here so we have already had a sneak preview of the lovely Bella in her new home  ;D Fingers crossed Bella brings some happiness to the family after the awful loss of Barney  :hug:
where? thats not fair  ;)
they are a lovely family and I hope Bella has brightened up their home

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 17:34:54 PM »
have voted - good luck!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 17:28:09 PM »
Voted, so easy  ;D Just phoned 09011510393 from my landline and the recorded message told me my vote has been registered. Done in 15 seconds.  ;)

Oh, and I did ask the bill-payers permission first  :shy: :sneaky:
he went zzzzzzzz....what? eh? yeah, sure, whatever.... zzzzzzzzz  :naughty: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Good luck  :crossed:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 19:01:51 PM »
Barney's slave is a member on here so we have already had a sneak preview of the lovely Bella in her new home  ;D Fingers crossed Bella brings some happiness to the family after the awful loss of Barney  :hug:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 12:00:01 PM »
just found out that the third cat adopted from us has died from anti freeze poisoning this year. poor Barney. so frustrated that all the petitions have done nothing to solve this problem.

at least Barneys people came to us as they had a cat shaped hole to fill and took the lovely Bella home with them

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 17:25:34 PM »
Arrrrgh, I have a weakness for gingers - just too cute! :blow kiss:

You can never have too much publicity, especially with 1000 cats on the waiting list raising awareness for rehoming is crucial - 1000 though, that's just  :Crazy:

If anyone can spare a 50p text then please vote for us.

WE NEED YOUR VOTE! Haworth Cat Rescue is one of four hopefuls to become the Airedale Shopping Centre's chosen charity for 2013. Please give us your vote! It would make such a huge difference to all the cats here. To vote for us call 0901 151 0393. You can also send a txt to 80360 with the word CHARITY followed by a space and the number '0393' http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/news_keighley/10121080.Finalists_chosen_for_next_year___s_cause/

:thanks:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
we have had a new lady doing our PR and she has gone a bit mad  ;D its excellent how much coverage we have got this last month. including an article in Your Cat magazine

Hopefully the attached document works

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »
 :thanks: Tiggy's Mum
I was a bit miffed that they were charging so much to vote (and wonder where the money was going....) but the airedale cnetre have raised a lot the past 2 years for the local sue ryder hospise. if we could get them working for us next year we could revamp our pens.

so as a reward for your vote -  honey, a little ginger girl kitten who came in at christmas having a meow  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 20:06:20 PM »
He does have a glint in his eye doesn't he!  :naughty:

WE NEED YOUR VOTE! Haworth Cat Rescue is one of four hopefuls to become the Airedale Shopping Centre's chosen charity for 2013. Please give us your vote! It would make such a huge difference to all the cats here. To vote for us call 0901 151 0393. You can also send a txt to 80360 with the word CHARITY followed by a space and the number '0393' http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/news_keighley/10121080.Finalists_chosen_for_next_year___s_cause/

I must admit I hate those premium rate text thingies and would never normally text one... this is such a good cause though so I made an exception and voted for Haworth :luck:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 16:35:21 PM »

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
thank you for advice and sympathy.  :hug:
we have put him on zyclene with a feliway diffuser in the pen and moved him to the pen with the best view to keep him occupied. he does seem a lot calmer. he had is teeth checked when he was neutred but we might send him back just to se if there isn't any problems with pain. i went in today as i am trying not to get too nervous. i love working with ferals but Rory has been the one to un-nerve me.

have orderede the rescue rememdy too sam, its all worth a try.

monique got shipped of to her new heated barn at the weekend  ;D
shiela - for farm cats we advice that they lock the cats inside the outdoor shelter that will be their base, in Moniques case they have wired shut the barn while she settles. then we suggest that they keep them enclosed in the shelter for 2 weeks with the food and water put down in the same place and at the same time if possible. it usually works very well.

photo - Rory, not looking very innocent at all, you monkey!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 22:50:50 PM »
Poor boy sounds like he was deprived of attention sort of separation anxiety.  Have you yried giving him a cuddly toy as company for when he is alone, also a bit of rescue remedy in his water might help.  http://www.petplace.com/cats/separation-anxiety-in-cats/page1.aspx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 17:02:45 PM »
Theo chuffs and puffs when his leg is playing him up (he was an RTA which broke his leg and left him with a fair bit of pain for which he's on metacam when required).

I wonder if this lad has pain which is causing his anger?

If you have Metacam, it might be worth trying once to see if he responds well for 24 hours? I'm sure you know the dosages, Sam  ;)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 16:54:34 PM »
Oh dear, 4 months locked away alone, sad tale I'm not surprised you let her jump the queue.  :hug:
You need some chaps or gaitors to protect your legs, pet. Then you can carry on as if he hadn't attacked and maybe he'll tire of it eventually. Poor thing, he reminds me of Kitty and the damage she did to mine and my OH's legs, but her outburst was a one off and psychotic. Hope you have some dettol handy  :(

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/search.aspx?k=gaiters&n=16&lp=&hp=&cl=&sz=Large%20/%20X-Large&ct=

Great news about the feral.  ;D How do you go about re-homing a farm cat, though? Do you have to keep them indoors first for a few days till they get the hang of "you" before going outside?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 16:47:59 PM »
Poor boy being locked in a shower room  :'( Do you think Zyklene would help him at all? My Lu does similar when you're rubbing his tummy on the stairs and try to take your arm away but he's so gentle he grabs my hand very firmly with both paws (but no claws) and then gently 'mouths' me - sounds like Mr Cross hasn't mastered the 'gently' part of getting you to stay! Hope your legs aren't too sore :care:  :hug:

Great news for Monique and in case others haven't seen the news elsewhere... Penny has a home of her own  :wow:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 16:37:57 PM »
We are still doing well on the homing front although I have four punture holes in both legs today  :shocked:

we have a (cross) bengal cross in. he came in because he was being aggressive, his owner had him locked in a bathroom as she was scared of him, in fact i was so worried about him being locked in one room for months that i let her jump the queue. she didn't take our advice and get him neutred and i think the whole experience (he was shut alone in a shower room for about 4 months) has really not helped with what is a difficult cat. he is really affectionate but gets a bit hyper, 'chuffing' and puffing when he ses you. the last time i fed him i was in a rush and he lept on my departing leg and bit ...hard. i tried to sit in with him a while today and give him some more toys to try and calm him down and again he was really affectionate, until i turned round then woosh, clamped onto my other leg. ouch. i think he is trying to get me to stay, as he only attacks when you leave, but its really serious biting. i think its not so uncommon with some bengals but he is going to be hard work. can't help feeling abit nervous going in with him and don't want to let the volunteers in with him in case they get hurt. he is not making it easy for us.

looks like i have a really nice home for our feral Monique to go to though. someone wants a mouser and has a heated barn to offer her! she has been miserable here so i am hoping to see her off this weekend.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »
Great news for the lucky ones that got a home this weekend  ;D Just a shame it wasn't Penny  :( Sounds like a sensible approach towards rehoming at Xmas time  :)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 17:06:04 PM »
yes more gone again this weekend  :wow:
we home throughout the holidays as actually for a lot of people is a good time to get a cat as they have the time for it as they are off work. for anyone wanting kittens as presents or who have kids we ask them to come after christmas as its less stressful for the kittens and stops the possibility of impulse buying, we try and underline with the parents and children that it is not a toy and needs special care for very many years.

the good news didn't happen....someone was intested in Penny..and then changed their mind  :'(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 23:17:13 PM »
What a wonderful idea SamMewl.  :hug: Hope the recent run of homing success continues.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 22:04:52 PM »
What a great days work!  :wow:  Naevia is so pretty, I'm so pleased that someone gave her a chance  :) Do you stop homing in the run up to Xmas to stop impulse 'Xmas pressie' adoptions or do you go on a case by case basis?

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 17:38:42 PM »
they are aren't they.

SUPER day rehoming today. 3 adults rehomed 2 adults reserved and 5 kittens all in their new homes  ;D
busiest day for months and months (and takings higher then i have ever known for one day - people donating jewellry money and paying double the suggested minimum for  cats  ;D)

..and possibly some very good news to report tomorrow.......

photo is very timid Naevia who came to us as a pregnant semi feral and after many months of flinching when people go near she was starting to really enjoying some fuss ( she still prefers fuss with her back to you still!). she has gone to live with a very nice Zoe.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
They're gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv:

Great idea about starting the thread so everything is in one place Sam  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
News from Haworth Cat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
What a gorgeous pair! :Luv: so pleased they have found a home together, and so quickly too :) As for the scum that dumped them, can only hope that karma exists!

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
no sign of any cat so fingers crossed it was where Ranger appeared from.

This is Rebecca and Gem who where dumped here ealier this year, I walked straight past the box as cardboard was being burnt and i just assumed it was waiting to be burnt. the box was clawed open and in it was one kitten (so glad that it wasn't just slung on the fire  :scared: ). later the Mum started coming down and a work experience student rebecca managed to catch her. They went straight to foster - a child minder with a huge resource of potential adopters! They will be going together to their new homw next week.

Think Rebecca might be a grand-daughter of my Leroy (b and w gent next to my name) -same cute scary eyes (and leroy wasn't nuetered until he arrived here at 15 years old!!)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Re: another cat dumped here
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 17:51:17 PM »
Some people are just evil, pure scum  >:( Fingers crossed it was from Ranger and there isn't another lost and frightened soul out there  :(

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
News from Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
I thought i would copy Paws Inn and have modifed this post so to keep HCR news in one place, saves having us all over the forum  :)

we have had our neighbour come round today with a carrier he found open on the edge of his land. the material inside it absolutely soaking wet. i can only hope it was where the last cat we had appearing here came from a couple of weeks ago, as the lovely Ranger is in her new home already. we have left bowls of food out too just in case we have another one.

very annoyed. we have a huge waiting list of cats wanting to come in. bstrds that dump them here, bypass the waiting list - if their lucky or else condemn their cat to trying to survive as a stray somewhere it doesn't know.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:52:33 AM by SamMewl »

Link to CatChat