Author Topic: Special needs cat needs new home (Sorted)  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Ramona

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tyson, Milo and Salem
Re: Special needs cat needs new home
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
Sorry, probably should give some more helpful details:

Mittens is 1 1/2 years old and now lives in Halesowen, just outside Birmingham. He has been neutered.

And here's a picture of the handsome boy:

Offline Ramona

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tyson, Milo and Salem
Special needs cat needs new home (Sorted)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »
I hope you can help:

My neighbour has a special needs cat that needs rehoming. He was one of a litter of three, I had one of them and my friend kept two. He was born with hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and even though it did not continue to develop, he does have issues. Physical issues are that when he walks, his paws ‘fold over’ at the joint but it does not cause him any discomfort, he runs around and jumps like a mad cat. He goes outside but they do have a closed-in garden, I’m not sure he could cope with open plan as he tends to get himself stuck in trees etc when not supervised.
The main problem is that whatever they tried, they cannot house train him. Tried all tricks of the trade including different trays, litter, outside etc. He also does not always groom himself, so needs brushing even tho he’s a normal short haired house cat.
My friend struggles to cope with him as they have three kids, three dogs and two cats! She has spoken to her local vet, who said the only option would be to have him put down as they wouldn’t be able to re-home him. The problem with that is that despite his problems, he’s an otherwise healthy and happy cat, he is probably the most loving and fussy cat I’ve ever met and I’m sure he would make someone a good pet who can maybe spend more time and attention on him.
Does anybody have any ideas where we could turn to in order to get him rehomed?!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:21:25 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat