Author Topic: Tooth Extraction  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Tooth Extraction
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 22:53:34 PM »
I think it is common because they can't usually tell whether any extractions are needed until they get them under anaesthetic and obviously there's not time to be ringing and asking when they're on the table and under GA, but that should have been explained to you at the outset, including how it would affect costs.  Dentals often include extractions.  When Jaffa had his dental a few years ago he had one extraction and another had broken off at the root - they didn't know that until they were able to examine him properly under GA.  But that was explained to me and they gave me an estimate of costs explaining that if he needed extractions how that would affect the cost - the price quoted to me was just an estimate.  I was happy with that as I wouldn't have wanted him to be under GA for a moment longer than necessary and phoning me to ask if it was ok would have meant him being under for longer, even if it was only a few mins.  If a tooth needs to come out then it needs to come out.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Tooth Extraction
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 19:58:16 PM »
Hmmn, tricky one - first off if she did need a tooth removing and this was discovered whilst under GA then the safest (and most cost effective) thing would be to remove it whilst she's still under GA so you don't have the risks and costs associated with a second GA. That said if it was me I would be annoyed that they never contacted me to check it would be OK - as you say it's not a life thretening situation and for the bill to double when you were't consulted about whether you wanted the treatment done is not really on.

Did you sign a consent form when you dropped her off? I would imagine that would have a section about doing other work and whether or not they could act on further issues without your consent.

Hope Spangles is OK :care:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Tooth Extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 19:22:44 PM »
Should a vet extract my cats teeth without my consent? The reason I ask is, is that last week I took spangles for the yearly jab, vet checked her teeth and said the gums were a bit red and needed a clean. Fair enough I asked how much and she said £200, so appointment was made for today. Dropped her off this morning and went to work expecting no more than what was agreed i.e clean and polish to be done. At 1pm I received a call saying that she had had the work done and that I needed to pick her up before 5pm. even at this point all I am thinking is, is that she has had the agreed treatment. When I arrived to collect her, I was informed that some of her teeth had been extracted and that I had to give her both pain killers and antibiotics obviously the agreed costs have now also escalated to nearer £400. The costs wasn't an issue, the fact that they never asked or consulted me is so I went a bit ballistic at the vet and asked him why no one bothered to contact me, he said they tried although the phone never rang and no message was left and then he walked off. I only paid them the agreed amount of £200 and told them to stuff the medication. I then took Spangs to another vet just to make sure she was ok and he said she dosent need any of the additional medication. Anyway can a vet do what they want willy nilly without the owners consent? I fully understand about that the vets first priority is to the animal, I get that entirely, but this was not life threatening, Spangs wasn't in any pain and just went in for a clean... I feel quite guilty for taking her there now...

Link to CatChat