Author Topic: Fekin Collars  (Read 4957 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Fekin Collars
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 20:52:07 PM »
Thanks Winnie the Pooh for volunteering to be near strangled for photo purposes  :rofl:

I dont know what happened, whether it was something i did when fitting it or what? whether it was someone grabbing her? who knows. Just so glad it wasnt tighter and she was only close by. But the boys (well Peanut) has the same make in the blue and like i say, 8mths and its been smashing  :)

I think with collars theres always an element of risk....but with Evie being a "Newbie" around these streets and i just want people to know she's owned and not straying. I also follow her alot   :shify: and shout her every 20mins  :shify: and shine torches in peoples gardens  :shify: so actually... i think they know shes owned  :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 20:29:20 PM »
I had the same problem Stuart  :-[

When i first got Taz (RIP) the whole safety collar thing wasnt as high profile (nor was microchipping cats) or well known and i got him a normal type (my Nan used the normal buckle type with no issues at all - probably 2 losses out of 30 odd cats over the years) I proudly got his disk and off he set into the world.
1 day. Gone. So it was replaced, new disk, posh as toffee.
1 week, gone.
It started where i gave up with disks and permanent markered the collars. Then obviously the safety collars when they appeared. Then he'd go periods with no collar at all, then others where the collar remained for a year or so.
Nuggie was the same. He is currently collarless, but his last collar lasted over a year and went missing just at the point i thought "ooh hes done well with that collar" .... :-:    :rofl: :rofl:

Peanut lost his reflective collar after a month, which is a long time lol i replaced it straight away incase it was removed by someone to check owner ship. Hes done well and hes had that 8mths  ;D

Evie got a collar all lovely and pink and it didn last an hour. We found it today though and its currently "drying out" on the radiator.

I got a collar for her (safety) - unsure of make and she nearly choked. I'll post a pic of how i found her (Please Note: this is a reinactment photo with the help of a trusty teddy - I didnt take a photo before saving her  :shify: lol) but i think it had caught, pulled tight but she didnt pull hard enough for it to release  :-[

Anyway, i think like you an endless supply of collars is probably the only way  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

pic to follow....
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Marla

• Adult Cat
    • www.kittycollars.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 19:29:31 PM »
I already copied this thread to Tan when a friend alerted me to Sue's post.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 19:00:44 PM »
This may be a little confusing for non regular Purrs members but Marla is the owner of Kittycollars.  I am copying this thread to Tan as I made her fully aware of my frightening experience with the personalised collar I bought for Boris last year when it tightened around his neck when he kicked it.  I fully explained the problem of slippy material to you Marla and now wish I had fully openly posted the correspondence we had at the time.

If you want me to openly post about the problem I had, including that email you said you had sent me, I will but will do so when I am less upset.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 17:04:54 PM »

Marla, I had purchased one of those collars myself, and I found that the information was correct.  If the bar which holds the bells comes off, the collar slips, and can tighten with potentially dangerous results.  I dont think the age of the cat will make any difference, I'm afraid.  I certainly didn't want to take the risk.

I've purchased other of your collars not of that design when we had Paddy, and had no problem with them.

Offline Marla

• Adult Cat
    • www.kittycollars.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 16:45:17 PM »
Sue P, what you posted about our collars is completely false. The person who told you that completely ignored our safety instructions (stated on our site, in the box and in the shipment notification) and admitted that she put the collar on a kitten that was less than 6 months old AND too tiny for the collar. As a result, the collar gaped, allowing the kitten to get his paw in and pull it. This could happen with ANY collar that is too big or adjusted too loosely. In 7 years of trading, we have never had a problem except with this one person who ignored our safety instructions. I'm really disappointed that you, a moderator, would post something so damaging without checking the facts first.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
I wonder if someone found the collar elsewhere and clicked it shut before leaving on your gatepost, Stuart? I have some nice neighbours who have, in the past, done this with my lost collars ?

Loving the two finger stuff. You guys...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »
You didn't read my edited post before posting did ya?  :shy:

erm.................. nope  :-:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
ETA I'd be dangerous if I could read  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Collar is put on using the two finger technique .... 

Me too  :evillaugh: :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
You didn't read my edited post before posting did ya?  :shy:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
Also don't man to be rude but do you use the two finger technique  ;)  :evillaugh: .......... i.e. collar must fit quite snuggly allowing for only 2 finger gap?

I don't mean to be rude either :sneaky: but you must have read my posting and subconsciously forgot that you read me saying
" two finger technique " cause you have used the exact same words as I posted  :rofl: Yes, I checked the collar for ease of breaking away
and it seems fine  ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

Have you checked to make sure it easily breaks away Stuart?   :scared:  I test ours out every so often and when I remove them for 24 hours to allow flea treatment to dry.  I've had a couple of bad collar experiences, including the one Sue referred to which was very frightening, so I am very careful. 

Also don't man to be rude but do you use the two finger technique  ;)  :evillaugh: .......... i.e. collar must fit quite snuggly allowing for only 2 finger gap? 

ETA I'd be dangerous if I could read  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Collar is put on using the two finger technique .... 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:20:46 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
 :evillaugh:

on another note  :shify:

Apart from nipping down the road and buying a couple of collars + the name tag bit and also getting the ones
I bought offa ebay

I just found one of Robbie's collars, still fastened  :shocked: I had been checking the hedges in the garden and
just round the boundry = nothing
Today I reversed the car out of the drive, just about to drive off, when i spotted in the grass is a blue cat collar :-:
yup it is Robbie's but I still can't figure out how it came of still fastened ?? Collar is put on using the two finger technique
and there is no  :censored: way anyone would get near him, let alone for Robbie to actually stand there and let someone
take it off, I have a bad enough time getting one on  :shocked:

anyway, 1 down, 10 to go  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 18:23:51 PM »
 :Arrrrh: :conspiracy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 14:49:45 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 13:38:29 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Weirdly Dinah, who has not lost a collar in a couple of years, came in nekkid yesterday  :scared: so have replaced her yellow lost one with a spare blue one.  Looks rather fetching in a pinkless, eggless, chickless sort of way  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »

I confess I even have a collar of shame which may be made to be worn if too many get lost.  It's pink with little eggs and chicks on.   :-[ :evillaugh:

And does it suit you, Sue?  :heeee heeee:

Oi - you!  Missus!   :-: :poke: :snooty:

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Peggy (RB)
Re: Re: Fekin Collars
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
Oh if only this forum had "like" buttons for posts :D

Do you mean as in   :nice thread:   :good post:   :gpoint:

Mary
Lol.... Those will do :-P

Sent from my HTC One S

Peggy 01/01/2001(approx) - 28/06/13
Peace at last.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 00:02:06 AM »
[/color]

Do you mean as in   :nice thread:   :good post:   :gpoint:

Those collars are very expensive Stuart - especially as they are being lost or maybe stolen?

After my Smudge going missing and someone finding his collar in a field miles and miles away from me I was so glad I had a collar on him and I could put posters up and search in the right area even though I eventually found him dead BUT at least I could bring him home.  So I am all for collars.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 23:44:34 PM »
Thats too easy

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 22:10:39 PM »

Peace at last.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 22:00:31 PM »

I confess I even have a collar of shame which may be made to be worn if too many get lost.  It's pink with little eggs and chicks on.   :-[ :evillaugh:

And does it suit you, Sue?  :heeee heeee:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 19:56:47 PM »
If you don't need  them to be reflective try your local pound shop - I kid you not. Ours are currently selling some lovely safety release ones with the letters VIP on them. :) (And they sometimes have two reflective safety release collars for  a pound too....)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 18:21:04 PM »

Daintypaws was the one I ordered from.     www.daintypaws.co.uk

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 18:14:06 PM »

Unfortunately Kitty Collars have problems with some of their breakaway collars fitted with bells.  The fitting for the bell is the only thing that keeps the collar from slipping and tightening in use.  It can be very dangerous if the bell gets caught and breaks away complete with it's retainer.

I got mine from a Folksy retailer instead.  I'll see if I can recover the details, just in case.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 18:10:02 PM »
kitty collars do the ones with the phone number printed on Stuart

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 17:36:03 PM »

I sympathise Stuart.  :hug:  Our neighbours are very good about returning ours when they find them, but even so, I have a little stash of "spares", all with id tags attached, and one with his tel number sewn into the collar itself.  Although Ross is chipped too, I fret that if anything happened to him, he may be found by someone who didn't know about microchipping, and we'd never get to know. 

It was only because of Mac's collar and tag that we got him back after he was killed.  :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 16:31:16 PM »
3 of ours have reflective break away collars.  I have written 1st part of our address inc post code & mobile on with permanent marker pen.  They used to lose them lots at first but nearly always either found or posted thru our letter box.

Yup, I did try that, but the collars were not able to be written on the inner part of the collar, so I wrote the name address on the outside
3 days later they were illegible to read due to constant scratching  :tired:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 16:27:20 PM »
Just musing here cos dont know your area but seems strange that he loses so many collars and none of them turn up. I would have though that an odd one would be found close for reuse.

Yes Gill but He is a wanderer, I am not joking when I say I am very lucky to see him for just 15 minutes a day  :shocked:
He comes in, demands food, then demands to be let out again ( even tho he has a cat flap )
the very first £12 one was found in our garden and re-attached  :evillaugh: but it wasn't long before it went again
I'll start attaching the name tag thingys, maybe some will find their way home then  :evillaugh:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 16:22:04 PM »
too late, I've bought more

3 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251168617523?var=550188754071&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and 4 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251165542684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

sometimes I think most have either been lost by Scratching ( He doesn't like collars ) or Fighting :tired:
always has little scabs around his head area, I can just picture a cat catching the collar and pulling it off

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 15:26:23 PM »
so the question is, do I buy the normal catch ones, or not bother with a collar at all ??

If that's the only choice, it's a no brainer Stuart.  Under no circs whatsoever would I put either a normal catch or an elasticated catch on any of our lot.  They would have to go collar free.

3 of ours have reflective break away collars.  I have written 1st part of our address inc post code & mobile on with permanent marker pen.  They used to lose them lots at first but nearly always either found or posted thru our letter box.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 14:51:44 PM »
Just musing here cos dont know your area but seems strange that he loses so many collars and none of them turn up. I would have though that an odd one would be found close for reuse.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 14:35:09 PM »
yes He is chipped, but still feel better if he was wearing a collar

just had a thought tho, maybe fork out some more pennies for the name tags
that way, if the collars are found they might get returned  :doh:

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 13:53:46 PM »
Is he chipped?

Peace at last.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Fekin Collars
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Robbie has lost so much collars now that I have lost count  :tired:
in excess of 10 at least!!! I just put a new one on this morning, Carol said there were a few feathers in the kitchen
He's just came in for grub and away out he went again, then I noticed he has no collar  >:(

I don't really like collars, but I always buy the safety catch ones and they have to be reflective
but this is getting ridiculous, the first few collars ranged from £12 - £9 then when they disappeared, I opted
for cheaper ones, but at this rate it is still going to cost a small fortune  :(

so the question is, do I buy the normal catch ones, or not bother with a collar at all ??

catch 22 - feel safer with him wearing a collar, but don't want to keep buying em
Slinky who stays a couple of doors down has had the same collar for the last 3 years
but that has the FIxed fastening  :doh:

what would you do??
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:54:13 PM by Stuart »

Link to CatChat