Author Topic: Rori has a post op infection :(  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Rori has a post op infection :(
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »

Really pleased to read this, Beth.  Bet Rori is glad to be home again too. 

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 20:18:50 PM »
 :hug: thank you

Now I need to start saving again, formy 'cat fund', incase a vet visit is needed again  >:(

The vet nurse said that appointments with the nurse are free and that as long as Rori's symptoms don't change from before, they can deal with her.

I now have both my girls snuggled on my lap  :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 17:07:55 PM »
Excellent - after a rocky start you can now actually start to enjoy these gorgeous girls. They're very lucky to have you, Beth. Well done indeed.  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 16:56:57 PM »
So pleased  ;D

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 16:42:45 PM »
I finally have my Rori back! woooohoooooooooooo

Signs of her infection are gone, she's trotting about like normal and has nearly taken my hands off for food, yesterday morning.

The vet said she was all clear from a temp and swollen tummy etc.  The nurse put some advocate on her this morning and within an hour, she was screaming (I mean proper howling) for food  :lol:  her poos are going back to being normal too.

I know it's very early days but after a rough few weeks with her and a hole in my purse, I'm feeling much more positive.

She has roundworms and they've been there for a while, by the size of the ones I took in.

Cats huh, who'd have them   :shocked:   :rofl:

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »
I was looking at online prescriptions,cheaper for me.

Rori is doing much better, just need to get her to eat a little more.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
Advocate is a combined wormer/flea treatment. Does all worms except tapeworms. We got some from our vet yesterday, costly, but does the job ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 21:13:28 PM »
We use Millibex and Drontal here as well as the Programme injectin and use Profender on a couple of the nastier kids when cornered in a crush cage just to make sure!!!!

Our wormers work out at about £3.00 each for the cats but we worm every three months due to our numbers :-[
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 20:12:36 PM »
Poor Rori, really hope that she is better soon xxx

If I was you I would be taking the vet bill to the "breeder" as all her problems were totally avoidable with proper care before she was re homed
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 17:06:23 PM »
I dont think advocat is a wormer but a flea thing, each of the flea treatments does different.

I think profender is a spot in wormer but they cant be given within two weeks of spot on flea treatment.

Panacur is a powder wormer that mixes with Food and mini millibax are little tablets all from the vet or on prescription.

I do hope rori is getting better but as said she needs to be shot of those worms asap.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 15:32:50 PM »
When you go back on Monday, ask if the vet will give her an all-rounder worming pill - these are usually (check with receptionist first) around £7 but Rori needs treatment as her worms are causing her some problems (Gacht!!).

The vet should be able to write a prescription for 6 months worth of Profender, so for two cats you'd want 4 doses (or two packs at two doses per pack). Are they both the same weight or would Rori still need the small cat dose? I'd ask for the larger dose for Honey. Rori will have grown to nearly her Mum's size by the time she needs re-dosing.

I like to think of worming as an investment, not only is the cat much more comfortable, she's also going to eat less and suffer fewer health problems.

This is another worry, however, about her and Honey's breeder. If the girls came out of there with infections and worms, they've basically been left untreated. Thank heavens you came along, I dread to think what would have become of little Rori.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 15:21:46 PM »
I do feel for you Beth, I don't know how well you knew the breeder but spaying and worming really are things that should have been done before she passed Rori on - I'm glad she is a little better
as for wormers stuff like that is much cheaper online

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 15:01:20 PM »

I hadn't realised about Bob Martins until I first joined Cat Chat around 6/7 years ago (pre-Purrs).   So many people's cats and dogs have had bad reactions or died that it's a wonder they've not been closed down before now.    That's a nifty little link Sheila.   :)

Lively little wormies then.  :evillaugh:  bet Rori will start feeling a whole lot better now. 

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 14:54:16 PM »
Thank you for the replies  :hug:

The vet mentioned advocate or something and that it would be £25, now if I can find something better for cheaper, then I'd be happier lol

The worms were alive, I thought they were dead until 1 end of 2 of the worms, started curling up.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 14:39:00 PM »

Yeah, gotta confess I stay clear of Bob Martins myself now - heard too many horror stories about their products over the years. 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 14:35:34 PM »
So pleased you have a sympathetic vet  :)

Were the worms dead, Beth? I distrust Bum Mortens and prefer to use stuff recommended by the vet. If you ask what topical wormer she would use, she'd probably recommend this one which does everything beautifully...

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Prescription_Drugs-Prescription_Drugs_M_-_Q-Profender/c1_34_573/category.html

which needs a prescription but might be cheaper on-line than buying it from the vet (the prescription charge is usually around £6.85 from your vet, ask if she can prescribe more than one pack as you have several cats then follow the instructions to buy on-line) from Viovet, Animed direct or VetUK (other suppliers are available but I can recommend any of these three).

Hope she continues to improve, and her previous infection has now gone forever.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 14:24:32 PM »

Am glad to hear she seems brighter today.  Poor little girl.   :hug: :hug:

Might be worth asking the vet for some more de-wormer to make sure she gets the lot out of her system.  You may have to treat her two weeks apart.

Your vets sound lovely. 

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 14:10:03 PM »

She seems a lot better in herself, she's been walking about like normal, today.  Where there was a hard lump under her scar, it's gone and now the area is smooth.

She was trying to yack something up this morning and left me 4 lovely worms on my kitchen floor  :-: they were all about 2" in length, white, thread like and smooth.  I think they are round worms (?).  I did use a bob martins dewormer spot on thingy about 2 weeks ago.  Vet said not to worry, unless she throws up again.

Going back in on monday with her.  I said to the vet over the phone that I can't keep paying out, I've spent £120 in the last 4 weeks on vet bills and that I'm a single mum on a small income.  So she said she would knock down the vet fee of £35 to £15, she said they'd be happy to let me pay off monthly, if it gets costly.  I'm with petplan, so she's looking in to seeing if they can claim straight to them.

I didn't expect to be paying this out for her, at all  :( I've had to cancel a few things but as long as she gets better, that is what matters.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
Poor Rori. Oh Beth, this is the last thing you needed.  :hug: :hug:

Let the vet know you're on limited income, he might be able to slice a bit off the bills for you if he realises.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »

How is Rori this morning Beth?  Hoping she's acting much brighter.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 19:59:50 PM »
So sorry to hear what Rori has had to go through - the breeder has to be held responsible to a degree because Pyro does not develop overnight and had she been spayed younger this never would have happened.
Thank goodness you took her in for spaying when you did!!

Sending lots of love and healing vibes for Rori xxx

Just out of interest are your girls registered ?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 17:36:35 PM »

Beth am so sorry to hear this.  Am hoping the ABS will kick in and she'll start to pick up very soon.

I can empathise - the one and only female cat we ever had went into post operative shock after she was neutered, and we nearly lost her.  It was touch and go for days, and we were devastated as we never expected anything would go wrong.

Sending much love for Rori. 

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 16:39:10 PM »
I have to take her back in on monday for another check up, fingers crossed she is fine, until then  :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 16:29:50 PM »
This is very ungood and do hope the abs are working but if you are the slightest bit worried get her back to the vets asap, beware of the weekend looming  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending all my very best vibes for Rori  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 16:26:53 PM »
poor rori

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
Rori has a post op infection :(
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 16:18:20 PM »

Rori had her spay operation last friday.  All was well, or so I thought  :(  The vet said the surgeon had found that Rori had a Pyometra uterus (pus in her womb).  They said it wasn't hugely advanced, as only qtr of the womb was filled but still, it's an infection.

They sent us home with the general after op pain relief, I was non-the-wiser, first female cat to be spay and all.

They said to stop her from doing too much when we got home but seriously, did they realize she's a bengal?  :rofl: she was bouncing about like her normal self.  But on Saturday, she was lethargic, barely ate and slept under my bed all day.  I put this down to her doing too much on Friday.  Then on Sunday, she refused to move, by this point I was worried, she just 'wasn't Rori'.  So I called the emergency vet, they said as long as she was eating a little, drinking and not moving about with no vomit etc, then we could hold out til Monday.

Monday rolled round, I noticed that she wasn't using her hind legs to climb, she was dragging herself up.  She felt warmer than normal and refused to eat fullstop.  Vets wanted her in ASAP, they kept her in over night on a drip to rehydrate her, gave her an antibiotic shot and I left with the security that she was in the right place.   I barely got any sleep, Monday night  :(

I picked her up yesterday, they said that she has a post-op infection, mixed that in with the Pyometra uterus they removed, the poor bubba was run down.  She had a high temperature on Monday, which was why she was warmer.  They gave me 7 days worth of antibiotics and sent us home.

where her scar is, there was a hard lump on one side, on day 2 of the antibiotics, that lump has disappeared.  She gets up to eat twice a day, only 2 dessert spoonfuls of food and then slinks off back to bed.  Last night she got up on my lap, gave me a little meow for reassurance and went to sleep.  She's been a bit more active today, walking about the kitchen and then eating, walking a bit more and then sleeping.  So I'm hopeful these tablets are doing their job.

Been a rough few days with my 10 month old kitty but she's a fighter!

My bank account on the other hand  :shify:

Link to CatChat