Author Topic: Introducing new very timid cat!!  (Read 28574 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Introducing new very timid cat!!
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2012, 19:00:25 PM »
Sounds like he is making a little bit more progress everyday.

I don't want to confuse you ... but I would let him have free roam of the house,  mind you I'm one of the ones in the "just let them sort it out" camp.  When I brought a new little girl home to introduce to my two I just put the carrier on the floor, opened the door and said off you go!  :rofl:.

I was fortunate in that Rossi (the new girl) is a very confident little tortie madam who wasn't going to be intimidated by my big, very VOCAL Abyssinian boy Zephyr.  Zephyr walked up to her, sniffed her and yowled in her face .... she looked at him, fluffed up her tail, smacked him right between the ears and ran upstairs.  I think Zephyr was so shocked that she had actually touched him he just sat there looking slightly stunned.  We have never had any problems ... apart from the usual rough and tumble ... but no fighting. 

I would say as long as Rio can get under "his" bed away from Nina things will be OK.  Of course the thing to be aware of if he is roaming free is to make sure he doesn't run out the door as soon as you open it when you get home.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Introducing new very timid cat!!
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
Thanks Sue, he has an eliment of free run at night as I go into bedroom and leave it ajar so he can essentially escape me in his space all night. It's. Very small flat so it's only an extra room and the hall (bathroom closed).

I'm pleased to report last night he explored and sniffed a lot... Including the side of my bed when I was in it! Didn't come too close but miles ahead of this time last week :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2012, 06:49:05 AM »

Catching up on this and so pleased to see he's getting braver.  It's a fantastic step of faith for him to begin exploring while you're in, so well done.  Think I agree about not giving him full run of the house just yet - best to start off small with maybe half an hour to an hour at a time when they're left together to begin with.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2012, 22:39:28 PM »
Definately go for the slow and cautious route so soon.  ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2012, 21:28:47 PM »
Mine are about at the same stage, no hissing and tolerating each other well. Mouse doesn't run and hide when she sees Lucan now and he ignores her rather thatn hissing and growling.
I was wondering about leaving them alone as well but don't think i will for a least another week.

Yep we are better to err on the side of caution :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2012, 21:25:09 PM »
Mine are about at the same stage, no hissing and tolerating each other well. Mouse doesn't run and hide when she sees Lucan now and he ignores her rather thatn hissing and growling.
I was wondering about leaving them alone as well but don't think i will for a least another week.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2012, 21:20:51 PM »
Thanks Sheila, it's been a week and whilst they were totally separate the first few days with the size of my flat and nina crying to get in at night to the bedroom it wasn't sustainable.

However they have been ok so far but your right - ill keep them separate with him in the bedroom and her everywhere else.

That's what I had thought - best to keep them apart - think I was just hoping there was an easier way to let him relax but I know there isn't lol ... Patience :-)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 21:28:10 PM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2012, 21:14:00 PM »
I'd exercise a little caution whilst you're out, there could be an event while you're not in control that could at this early stage be catastrophic for their relationship.

Under ideal conditions these two would be separated for a week or so before even starting the introductions, so you're doing incredibly well so far.

Baby steps, one by one, gets you there safely.  :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2012, 20:54:48 PM »
Just looking for opinions on when it's ok to go to work and give him free roam of the house.

My original plan was when him & Nina were interacting ok except thing is his fear of me seems to be preventing him from even noticing her.

He hasn't reacted to her at all. Nina was hissing initially but hasn't for a couple of days. They have walked past each other - no reaction.

I'm just wondering whether them interacting might bring him out his shell.

However I don't want to rush him and really I feel I should keep him locked in my room when I'm out.

It's a toughie!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2012, 20:52:13 PM »
How about lying down on the settee and see if he comes over for a sniff?  ;D

I am, I'm lying on the L part flat out with nina on my tummy... However he has retreated now! :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2012, 19:18:59 PM »
He is sounding fantastic  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2012, 19:06:06 PM »
How about lying down on the settee and see if he comes over for a sniff?  ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2012, 18:57:56 PM »
that is progress!

Honestly this boy is desperate to be brave.... He is edging his way into the living room as I type (on my phone)... The big head pokes around the corner and then he sees me and creeps back... Repeat then repeat then repeat! Im pretending I cant see him but he is actually about to step right in lol....

He just isn't brave enough just yet... I wish he was cos he seems desperate for a cuddle!!

I think I'm going to have a loveable boy on my hands in a few months :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2012, 18:48:38 PM »
that is progress! 

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2012, 18:44:23 PM »
Slowly slowly making progress! Returned from work to see Rio on the windowsill ... Obviously under the bed as soon as key in the door however food bowls totally empty - he had quite a supply of biscuits so really making up for last week lol!

Tonight sitting on couch and who should creep to livingroom door. I ignored him for a bit then did the slow blink hello.... And spoke very softy... He darted ofcourse! But venturing out the bedroom ... Whoop whoop!

I will ignore him the rest of the night :-).... Have a feeling he may venture some more later on

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2012, 20:10:58 PM »
Hoovers and cats is a strange one .... Edgar would chase the hoover and wasn't phased by it to the point I nearly hoovered his tail once - but then he was a Raggie so normal rules don't apply *evil laugh*!

Rio is getting braver - all in an attempt to avoid me! I couldn't wait to pee any longer so went to the bathroom at which point he went into the livingroom. When I returned he went to leave but stopped to look at me first, then got to the hall and almost looked as though he was going to have a change of heart and come back!

He didn't - but I saw him hesitate so that's enough for me.

Meanwhile Nina hasn't hissed once through all this :-) :-) :-) *beaming*

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2012, 19:52:38 PM »
Just goes to show he's completely normal, it's in the  :rules: for cats to hate hoovers  :naughty: I waited three hours to hoover this afternoon as Lu was asleep in his little hut/bed in the front room and I didn't want to scare him away! Both mine HATE the hoover and scatter the second it comes out of the cupboard, oddly they are both happy to lay next to me virtually unconscious while I'm drying my hair with a very noisy hairdryer and happy to eat with the washing machine in full spin mode, but the hoover has them  :scared:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2012, 19:46:43 PM »
Have you tried bribery yet ....  :innocent:  .... according to the advert "cats will do anything for dreamies treats"  ;)

Tried - didn't work although Im all out of dreamies so maybe should try them lol

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2012, 19:45:43 PM »
Oh dear.... So I got the Hoover out - cos with a cat and a wanderer I couldn't leave it longer than the week already had!

So wow Rio hates the Hoover too.... No great surprise there but like Nina he went sliding on his booty in an attempt to run from it. He then ran to the same hiding spot as Nina who must have wondered what the hell was going on! All I could see was this big white head watching me to make sure I wasn't coming towards him!

So now he is in the hall in the litter tray cupboard. Bedroom door wide open for him to return when he is brave enough!

One day I'll write a comedy sketch on this huge cat being such a coward- he is just gorgeous :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2012, 18:54:43 PM »
Have you tried bribery yet ....  :innocent:  .... according to the advert "cats will do anything for dreamies treats"  ;)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2012, 18:49:43 PM »
I think your totally right Tiggy's Mum. The lady who had him before said he was very shy and withdrawn with strangers but a total lap cat at home and he talks to her and talks for treats. The boy is just a big wuss.... And I'm happy to sit and wait for his souky side to emerge :-)

Gill wow Sasa is 14 and only now came around... Wee scone must have really had it bad in a former life :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2012, 17:18:11 PM »
I'm really not sure why this boy is so scared but I'm hopeful in the next few months he will become a but more brave lol :-)

I predict that he will become a cuddlebum before too long :) My Riley is a very confident and nosy cat, extremely loving and I can literally do anything to him (including bench press him in the air while he's flat out on his back!) BUT, he is a complete wuss with visitors he doesn't know and hides if anyone he hasn't met comes over.

Once he gets to know you he's fine but when I went on holiday my Mum came to stay and look after them - she's recently moved back to the area so he'd only met her a few times and he hid for the whole 10 days I was away! In fact at one point she thought she had lost him and asked my sister what on earth she should do as she couldn't find him anywhere, my sisters advice was leave the country!  :evillaugh:

Anyway, to him you are still a stranger but I predict that ones he realises he's there to stay and you and Nina are his new family that he'll come out of his shell  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2012, 17:00:18 PM »
I had given up any idea of her actually letting me touch her but she will do a littele squeak at the door and that means she wants me to go and stroke her on the stairs  ;D ;D

OR Lupin is annoying her cos she can see him LOL

I am terrified of losing her trust though, so long to get to this point and she has such soft fur and looks after it impeccably.

She is 14 now and eats far too many bisuits LOL

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2012, 16:53:53 PM »
Oh Gill that sounds like quite an achievement that she is now seeking out some petting... Although what a long slog! I'm really not sure why this boy is so scared but I'm hopeful in the next few months he will become a but more brave lol :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2012, 16:50:09 PM »
Sounds like Nina is quite interested  ;D

I have had Sasa for 7  years and she will still run from me if I walk towards her and its has taken over 6 years for her to let me stroke her......she was a semi-freal with a bad history and am sure she is scared of feet.

Yesterday she came up to me in the garden when I waggled a hand , for a stroke which is unheard of...........I was sitting down though.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2012, 15:53:27 PM »
He'll probably just decide soon enough that you're actually a very nice human and than be a different cat.
I'm following this thread closely to see how you're all doing!

Oh thank you :-)

I'm not imagining there will be great change soon and I know he will come around.

This morning when we got up, he literally backed into nina in an effort to avoid me. Nina didn't hiss .... In fact she kind of looked at him like 'are you crazy?... You can't be scared of mum'! She was very confused lol xx

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2012, 15:44:56 PM »
He'll probably just decide soon enough that you're actually a very nice human and than be a different cat.
I'm following this thread closely to see how you're all doing!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 15:35:45 PM »
Time and love is all he needs sometimes a new home is very scarey and time and love cost nothing xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2012, 15:00:03 PM »
Any further movements from Rio?

Yes and no to be honest. I think the issue is him being in my room means at night I'm in his space - all be it in bed sleeping.

Positives - he is def wandering about the room more and last night used the litter tray when Nina and I were asleep on the bed ( I woke up as did Nina but we didnt react). He also ate fresh food id just put down under the bed when I was in bed this morning. It's at the edge of the bed but he is under the bed to eat it. So progress in that he feels more relaxed to carry out body functions and eat with us there.

Negatives - he does seem to leave bedroom at night and I wish it was to explore but think its cos we are there. Then when I get up, he looks at me started and rushed back to the bedroom close to the floor. I mean he is seeing the house at least and exploring but it us to avoid me lol!

Nina is hissing hardly at all now and he isn't scared of her - just me :-)

So we will just plod on, bedroom door closed when I'm out, ajar when I'm in and hopefully in the coming weeks he will get less scared of me.

I lie down on the floor sometimes to talk to him but he backs away under the bed so don't want to push it. I've deliberately made phone calls when in bed so he hears my voice. I talk to him when I enter his room or the living room if he is there but I avoid eye contact or do big slow blinks.

We shall see....

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2012, 14:35:13 PM »
Any further movements from Rio?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2012, 23:05:04 PM »
Wow, what a time you're all having. it sounds like you're making huge amounts of progress though. When you have him sorted do you fancy popping over to me and sorting my newbie out??!!

I don't know about that lol - your two appear to be able to be in the same room. We might have the same size flat though as I'm a one bed livingroom/kitchen. His safe room is the bedroom but then he is very diff to your boy as he is mega timid and not hissed at Nina once. We have the same scenario but in reverse. I have a hissy resident cat and you have a hissy newbie lol

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2012, 22:53:25 PM »
Sounds like they are slowly sorting out their pecking order.   :Luv2:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2012, 22:50:48 PM »
Wow, what a time you're all having. it sounds like you're making huge amounts of progress though. When you have him sorted do you fancy popping over to me and sorting my newbie out??!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2012, 22:47:57 PM »
Things are going so well  ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2012, 21:03:31 PM »
Ah he is getting clever.... Clearly been out on my bed and on the drawers lots today. Door just a tiny bit ajar and I only ever catch the sight of his tail dashing under the bed when he hears my footsteps lol!

Nina also hasn't hissed since this morning although granted we have been in the rest of the house ignoring him. She slept on the bed with me last night and he got up and explored the rest of the house and used the big litter tray in the hall. Nina didn't react to this and then he returned to under the bed... Progress :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 23:54:51 PM »
Wow 8 cats.... I'm jealous! That must be interesting at times.. But lovely :-)

Thanks for the tips and advice x

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 23:47:25 PM »
As you have two accessible, separate rooms so each cat has their own space, it should be OK.  :)

I have eight cats in four rooms which has been a struggle when introductions were needed, thankfully I have a garden with comfy hides and shelters, and at bedtime no-one cares if they're piled up together for warmth on our bed. It's only teatime my lot get feisty.

I hope things continue as well as they have so far, the shaky start should be outweighed by the sunny future.  :Luv:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2012, 23:32:00 PM »
Oh don't worry - I'm leaving him in there until he ventures out himself and even then the litter tray etc will be there for a while.

Only problem is it's my bedroom - I only have a one bed flat so when I go to bed he is stuck in there with me - which I'm sure he hates!

I leave the door ajar when I'm at home and rest of the time it's closed :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 23:21:50 PM »
Please let him stay in the bedroom for a while yet, though. Too much too soon can lead to problems with territory later on, and that you don't need.  :shify:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2012, 22:47:41 PM »
Just remember, we had kittens under the wardrobe for three, yes THREE weeks. Three days is almost unheard of.  :shocked: :)

You are a very, very lucky lady  :wow:

Oh thank you - I prob don't appreciate it how lucky as all other cats I've rehomed have came around within 24 hrs... So I've been lucky before too lol!

Edgar & Oscar slept with me on my bed their first night  with me aged 11 :-) :-) :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat