Author Topic: nervous kitten  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Solitaire - our furbaby :)
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
Re: nervous kitten
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 19:55:47 PM »
Lol funkiechicken, brill I'm not on my own  :Crazy: lol, & yes you're right, tone is really important :)

Lol Shelarose aww my hubby too, he'll blink Sol, tickle her then sometimes give me the blinks too ha ha. He says I spoil sol rotten, then spoil sol rotten himself. She's our Furbaby even if she thinks she's our furmum. :)

Sam, sounds like you're doing brilliant. :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 21:04:44 PM »
She is testing you and if you pass her tests she will let you stroke in her time  ;D ;D

She'll come round in her own time ... especially as it's starting to get colder in the evenings.  Cats are heat thieves and she will soon want to cuddle up with you - just don't rush her.  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 17:04:47 PM »
I blink at my BF, he knows what I'm doing - drives him crazy  :rofl:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 16:12:04 PM »
WELL!! Thank GOD, that i am not the only person who goes around blinking and squeaking at cats  :shify: :shify:  :rofl: :rofl: Infact I can not stop myself from blinking when i see any cat lol I felt like a crazy lady when i first wrote what i did  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

Fred - I know what you mean by the calling!  ;D I hear Evie running and squeaking for me and i reply and she comes running  ;D I just say her name or nickname but its all in the tone of your voice - i mimick the tone she uses and her response is amazing!  ;D
Luckily she is has always been sociable but you can see that she favours the way we can communicate and is very much my cat. I had the same bond with Tazi. Nuggie is different entity and i respond differently to him based on his personality  :)
Little Peanut loves the blinks and sometimes purrs so loud it sounds like hes squeaking and hes going to break haha

I have always had good responses with my cats and have not yet owned a feral, although helped a friend gain the trust of her nervous kitty. That said although i can pick my cats up, with Peanut & Nuggie it has to be short lived. They enjoy less than a minute of a tickle and cuddle. As soon as i feel them pulling to get down, i put them down straight away. Then they know that they are free to get down at any time. They all love knee cuddles though.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one haha  :rofl: :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 07:26:29 AM »

The slow blinks thing really does work.  I did this with Ross when we first brought him home, as he was a bit skittish and feisty - wary of being touched.  He was fascinated, and it didn't take long at all before he would respond to the slow blinks and come snuggling up to my chin, where he'd latch on to my earlobe and suckle himself to sleep.  he still does it now, and he's growing into a big cat!   :evillaugh:

Sounds to me like Luna's actually making steady progress with you.  keep up the good work!

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Solitaire - our furbaby :)
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
Hi yes fab job and I agree fully with everyone, all their advice and that she might never be one to be held but slow and steady is the way to go. It'll b worth it  :) :) :)

Sorry about the length, I hope you don't mind...

Our  :Luv: sol :Luv: was a rescue feral, her life before meeting us was poor :( 

im so glad sol chose us but we still had to build up her trust and her health. I used to sit in her line of sight, sol had lots of safe places, her fav was ontop of our wardrobe. I would occasionally give her slow blinks, talking softly but no direct looks or confrontation. I just made sure she knew she was safe and gave her time. About a week we'd bonded, she would follow me around, chat to me, but never too close. She would even follow me walking around our house outside.

Sol was never big on play, she didn't seem to know what it was but I recommend if u can, incorporate it. Sol now does enjoy play but i think she hadnt experienced it before.

Eventually Solitaire came closer, I would(still do) hold my fist out to her (not just hand, it's best with a loose fist, it is simular to shape and size of a feline head) eventually she began nudging my fist with her head, a cats way of saying hi, many give each other affectionate head bumps. That way she could sniff my hand, when she was ready to be touched she head fist bumped me. I do this when meeting all cats, that and blinks usually means I get to stroke them. I also show my friends and their children who want to say hi to sol but are struggling, you be surprised how quickly a cat reacts positively to an offered fist.

Eventually Sol sat next to me, then omg sat on me.  :Luv2: It felt like forever getting to this point, she always wanted to be near me but not sure about sitting on me lol I didn't move a muscle for hours, hardly dare breath lol.

Now sol thinks she's my mum. She looks after me, i also get prods (head/paw), pummles and nudges (paws) when she wants stroking or to play. Ive got a few health issues and Solitaire helps remind me of things like time for meds/my food/rest etc.

But she is still not a fan of cuddles, unless she is giving them, ie not being picked up, it's 12yrs later and me and hubby are entitled to the odd few seconds of cuddling picking her up in our arms. Sol is much happier being on us than in our arms.

I've just remembered---
Another good idea is start by trying to stroke her using a feather brush or something soft attached to a long handle, so you have a safe distance, plus the object isn't related to you, start small, a few seconds with treats. Also learn her body language, it's really easy to learn, just be observant, plus there's lots of guides but remember they are individuals so might have their own quirks in their language, eg our sol is like a gun hound with a bobbly head, she will point us to something by staring at it then looking from it to us to it again.

Another thing that I  :Crazy: Cat lady have always done is mimic sols voice, I talk with her, this was one of the ways we first bonded, I spoke in English softly and mirroring her meows. I can now usually recognise what she's meowing eg if she's calling me, I call back and sol runs to me, when she's trying to find out where I've gone. The other day I was calling her, using her calling meows, and another cat sat popped up and mowed quizzically then came up to me, it seemed as if it was saying I'm here whyd you call? Lol aww

And yes the cat daddy -Jackson galaxy- excellent, but yes I agree with funkiechicken, he does use what I've bn doing naturally all my life, tho it's great to see I'm not mad  :Crazy:  ;D and he does great.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »
I think it wont be long for this little kittie  :) :)

You may find that she will never like being picked up, but dont feel left out because many cats actually dont! I had my 10year old from 5weeks old and he will tolerate less than 5minutes (and this is only if stood still and he is getting his chin rubbed) lol his strokes he loves but he does get sick and bites after a while. He's longhair so maybe i'm building up too much static? LOL
yet I've had 2 other cats that would sit on my shoulders all day getting free rides!

as well as play and treats, try laying down on the floor and. No fussing but just blinks, sleepy eyes (lids half closes) and the odd wink.

its actually a technique used in America by the Cat Daddy but i always have done this with cats since i was a kid. But you could google Cat Daddy and he see what he does on his show just to see it, hes much better than i could ever dream of understanding cats, but if i knew it was that one thing that couldve made me money i could of pipped him to the post! darn it!  :rofl:
All i think it means you're friendly, whatever it is cats do like it.

I only have to slow blink and my 6 month old comes squeeking and purring for cuddles LOL (she is a 6mth old cat and not a baby  :shify: :rofl:) and my 13yr old who passed last year would go all purry just by me saying "Gimme blinks baby flea"  :Luv2:

I obviously never went out as a child and we clearly were just animal hoarders :rofl:  :shify:

But try it, with no attempts to touch her yet but just get her trust and well.....anything is worth a try. But definitely play & treats as everone says and she'll come to you in no time a all. Dont try to pick her up or stroke her hold your hand out (dont look at her if it freaks her out) and she'll sniff it, if she rubs it with her head you could try a quick tickle  ;) but i dont think it'll be long with her cos it sounds like shes putting some of her traumas behind her  :)

Good luck!
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
Lupin hates a comb lol, its either a toy for just him to use or absolutley no go and feet and teeth job on me ..........sigh

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
Try her with a comb. My feral came around quite quickly when I was told to try this, as he just loves the feeling of being combed around his head and chin.  Start with a human comb and when she's got the hang of it, try a metal flea comb to get some proper grooming going on. Have a few dreamies on hand to distract her too.  :) :sneaky:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 23:12:42 PM »
I agree, but I got 2 kittens (siblings) at the same time, treated and brought up exactly the same. one loves being stroked, cuddled, any attention at all, and the other will only tolerate a bit of stroking, and will allow you to pick him up for a short period. she should start to trust you more over time.

What I do with dexter is try to stroke him while giving him treats so he associates it with things he likes.

I think it depends on the cat, but slowly try to gain its trust. good for you for saving it from who knows what! x
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
nervous kitten
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 21:21:10 PM »
She is testing you and if you pass her tests she will let you stroke in her time  ;D ;D

Exactly lol :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 20:01:51 PM »

Offline safice2

• Kitten
  • Slave to: luna & lenny
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 19:29:41 PM »
Hi thank you ladies for your help, luna is the nervous one she,s the siamese looking kitten on my profile pic, she,s a strange little girl bless her she,s even sat on my shoulder when im sitting in the armchair & licked my face but will she let me stroke her NO  :P
p goodman

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
nervous kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
I agree, she will home around. If she is eating out your hand then it's a start.

My friend had a semi- feral kitten like that and whilst she is still not a fan of being picked up two years later she is a bit of a lap cap now and settled in. She def took the lead from the resident house cat.

It will just take time. Another girl I know had a cat hissing at her for a moth - she couldn't even approach him. Now he sleeps on her pillow.

Complicated creatures sometimes our furry friends :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
Hi, if she sitting on your lap it sounds like it's just a matter of time as Gill says. A friend of mine took in a semi feral cat of about a year old and he spent the first month hiding behind the toilet. Last time I saw her she'd had him about 3 months and she said he is now sitting next to her and not running away. She still can't touch him though.   

As Gill says play with her and give her treats, mine will do anything for dreamies. It's very early days, I know how frustrating it can be sometimes but give her time and she'll come round.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
I think its good that you have two kittens and hope that the friendly one will show her the way.

She must be terrified after her experience and sounds like she didnt have a good start with a human or maybe didnt know a human at all.

Dont pick her up, but keep on feeding her from your hand and make sure she has places to hide like an up tirned box with a hole in.

Have you got a toy on a rod with string cos this will teach her to play at a distance.

Do you have any idea how old she is cos she will need to go to a vet for neutering about 4 - 6 months.

I have a semi feral who has taken 7 yrs to allow me to stroke her and also another cat who hates being picked up.

I am sure others will give you loads of advice.

Offline safice2

• Kitten
  • Slave to: luna & lenny
nervous kitten
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »
 :scared: Hi im in a tis was what to do, i rescued a kitten that was locked in the cellar of a empty shop, i dont think she had any human contact at all i,ve had her a month now & she gets on great with my other kitten but she screames if i touch her or try to pick her up, she will eat from my hand & sit on me when the other kitten is on me purring away so im at a bit of a lost on what to do, i wont give up on her though just need some advice. :thanks:
p goodman

Link to CatChat