Author Topic: costco?  (Read 10447 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: costco?
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »
Didn't see that link before Helen.  Cheers.  Our local Asda only stocks the Harringtons dog food.  Our lot really loved the samples we cheekily requested but the postage costs on Harringtons website put me off ordering any in.  Thanks for the free delivery link.   :)

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 23:46:08 PM »
If you're in the market for good value dry food then have a look at Harrington's, the 2kg bags are £4 odd at Asda - compare that to £15 for 2kg of JamesWellbeloved, Harringtons is 40% meat and JWB is 25% meat!

thanks for this!  managed to get some through my local pet shop and they seem to love it!  [Of course i know that if i bulk order it they'll most likely decide they don't like it. ..... llol]

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
non cat related, don't buy their electronic goods from there i.e. their tv's, they actually tend to be a bit more pricy

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 21:13:53 PM »
Yes civil servants and ex ones can be members.

I am a member thro my sister who runs a business, so if you know someone like this you become an employee, like online worker  :shify: :shify:

My member ship is about £15 I think

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 20:38:56 PM »
I was a member of costco for a few years but as there's just me I didn't get the real benefit as had no use for 10 litre bottles of ketchup etc! Mine was through work and I think it was £30 a year to join and I don't think I saved anywhere near that on the stuff I bought. It also encourages gorging due to buying bix boxes of naughty stuff  :naughty:

If you're in the market for good value dry food then have a look at Harrington's, the 2kg bags are £4 odd at Asda - compare that to £15 for 2kg of JamesWellbeloved, Harringtons is 40% meat and JWB is 25% meat!

You can only get the 2kg bags at Asda but you can get 8kg (4 x2kg) for £18 delivered at Amazon - bargainous!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harringtons-Complete-Chicken-Rice-Pack/dp/B007X2ACX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346614468&sr=8-1

I posted about it on another thread and a couple of people requested samples and it's gone down well with their cats. I daren't try it as Riley had runny bum issues which were solved by switching to JWB so daren't try him on anything else now!

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 20:25:57 PM »
gosh ... what a lot of useful info.   will look into it some more.  it reminds me that someone who has cattery did recommend their dried food.    i don't have the option of batleys i don't think.  i don't have business - just that i noticed that nhs employees could apply for costco membership. :thanks:

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 19:42:18 PM »
My Costo do their own brand dried cat food which is about £18 for 20kg, my lot eat it and seem fine on it. They do tinned felix, 24 tins which is about the same price I think as supermarket and Whiskers pouches. If you know what is on offer where, its best to go prepared as they dont have this sort of thing on offer. However, it is easier to buy in bulk!

I also get frontline there for dogs and cats, again comparable to online prices. Dont know if all branches do this as the staff have to be specially trained and you have to sign for it seperately. Fortunately one of the trained chaps at our branch adopted Squirt (remember him?) and his family from Angie so knows me now!

They do Dentastix for dogs a good price for 72, but as Angie says their range of products is limited.

If you run shelters, then they often have washing powder, fabric softener, kitchen rolls, washing up liquid etc on offer when they are much cheaper.

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 15:57:24 PM »
I just love their danish pasties, the whirly ones with the icing and they freeze lovely  ;D ;D

Ohh tell me about it!

They have a fab cake section  :Luv: oh and for those who love lamb, they do some really nice lamb shanks with cherry sauce too hmmmm  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 15:39:48 PM »
I just love their danish pasties, the whirly ones with the icing and they freeze lovely  ;D ;D

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 15:33:51 PM »
They have massive bags of dried cat food, cat remember how much their own brand costs but it's about a 20kg bag or near abouts.  They do on the bulk with cat foods, so they have known brands too.

But I go as my parents have a card.  So I use them for toiletry stuff (loo roll on bulk), cleaning gear and if we have any form of party as their food and the size is a good price.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
we were members of costco  for a while but now stick to Batleys.

Cash and carry's are not very good with wet food - very often they are cheaper at the supermarket. I guess the big supermarkets shift larger volumes so have better trade deals. (thats why they are so sensitive about people buying in bulk!).

Where savings can be made is in the price of litter and large dry food bags, also toys, trays etc.....

Costco have a very limited selection compared to batleys.

batleys also do not have a yearly fee, though like all C+C's, need some proof of business trading...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
I am a memebr but have to go to Cardiff which is about 130 miles round trip so havent been their for a long time.

I know what cat food they sell is limited and when I was last there was huge multipacks of mixed flavours but cant remember prices, sorry

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
costco?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
Is anyone a member of costco and know whether their cat food is significantly cheaper than anywhere else?  Thinking about joining but the website doesn't show what they have on offer, and it appears you can't get into the store to have a look without already being a member.

Link to CatChat