Author Topic: FELV testing.  (Read 2049 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: FELV testing.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 21:12:37 PM »
Taken from>

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/cat_flu/limping_syndrome.html

""Most cats affected with this syndrome will spontaneously recover without the need for any treatment. However, if clinical signs are severe, anti-inflammatory medication may be required and veterinary attention should be sought. Although FCV is obviously a common cause of limping syndrome' in young cats, there are numerous other potential causes of lameness, and if clinical signs are severe, or persist for longer than a few days, veterinary attention should always be sought.""

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 20:56:42 PM »
Thankyou Sheilarose, and you guessed right I have brain ache!!

He was poorly on saturday afternoon(fine in the morning), high temp, listless, limping on left front leg, then sunday morning the right leg instead, took him to the vets on saturday evening, he had a covenia jab and metacam. Brought him home, he was a little better but had to take him back to the vets on sunday as he was really hot.

We were allowed to bring him home last night, he has been eating and drinking, playfull and cuddly, you wouldn't know he had been poorly.

Vet knew from the rescue lady that he had previously tested positive FIV, then negative on 2nd test.

He decided to do the Glasgow test as a precaution. So today it came back negative. Wait now for other results.

In the last 4 weeks he has had his final vaccinations, been neutered and moved house.

I'm hoping this is all it is thats caused it. He is a very special little lad(as they all are).  :Luv:

Thanks for any advice or knowledge shared.

Nicky x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 17:14:08 PM »
I know nothing about the testing but have evrything crossed for the results  :hug: How is he doing now, does he still seem poorly?  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 16:19:53 PM »
Strange, I thought the FelV came back at the same time - when I had Chubby's positive FIV back the vet told me same day he was FelV neg, so I was OK to bring him home.

I wonder what extra tests they are planning to do? I'll do some checking up for you to save your brain ache, OK?

It seems quick in-house FelV testing is open to error, there's loads of stuff about follow up lab tests, and although most reports I just read suggest a correct negative result is more usual than a correct positive, if the cat is sick and the vet suspects FelV he would send to a lab for more tests to be done.

""Negative in-practice test results for FeLV are generally regarded as more reliable provided the test has been performed carefully. However, if FeLV infection is suspected in a sick cat that tests negative on an in-practice test, this result also should be confirmed by virus isolation or immunofluorescence.""

Is Harry sick, Nicky?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 16:11:55 PM »
Strange, I thought the FelV came back at the same time - when I had Chubby's positive FIV back the vet told me same day he was FelV neg, so I was OK to bring him home.

I wonder what extra tests they are planning to do? I'll do some checking up for you to save your brain ache, OK?

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
FELV testing.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 13:20:24 PM »
Harrys test has come back negative for FIV, but we have to wait up to 21 days for the FELV test result. I am trying to understand it all but its overloading my brain today.

Harry is in isolation in our spare room, I am worried obviously as he has already mixed with the other 3 cats, and eaten from their dishes if given the chance.

Nicky

Link to CatChat