Author Topic: Rescues - single runs, community rooms or both?  (Read 6890 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Rescues - single runs, community rooms or both?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 02:19:40 AM »
I am there tomorrow for the annual dog reunion/fun dog show so I will see if i can get some proper pics  ;D hopefully the residents wont try and steal the limelight  :shify: :evillaugh:

Its taken a long time & endless fundraising to get where they are, but its taking shape  :) they had to make use of what they had & some temporary measures to be able to house the cat intake (and like everyone they also still heavily rely on fosters) but I know they were really pleased to be able to finally get some proper runs!

ooo it'll be nice to see how you get on when you expand  ;D
Hopefully I can show you pics - but the last twice I've gone round the cattery "just for a look" I've ended up with someone new  :shify: :shify: and I dont know whether the OH will fall for that one again  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 17:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the link  :)

It looks like they had a huge amount of work to do in converting the farm  :Crazy:. We are hoping to expand here eventually and want to get a new block of good quality pens. when we are nearer the time of being able to I will give Jackie an email. From what i can see of the pens (all those rotten, pretty cats in the way!) they do look very good.

:thanks:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 02:36:42 AM »
Hi Sam,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!!
it appears to be me  :-[ here is the correct link http://s-a-r-a.org.uk/

I cant seem to find any sort of pictures of the new cattery on there as yet but in the Cats Needing Homes section, the cat Grace (3rd Pic down) you can see the door etc (which probably is of no use - but gives you an idea of the look and being UPVC all fully washable) the other cats are shown in either foster homes or the 'hospital' part they have. You could email or if you ring, Jackie is the Manager there and might be able to give you details of who supplied it. Or I'll ask my friend at work who volunteers there if she can find out the details for you - I will be seeing her on suunday ;D ;D
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 13:20:00 PM »
We use individual runs with the end run of each block being much larger if we have family groups. We also have sneeze barriers between each run and these have been very effective at keeping infections from spreading. The FAB have produced guidlines about pen size and sneeze barriers in their rescue handbook (and possibly in greater detail in their cattery handbook which i haven't seen).

I think community rooms can cause real problems to very stressed cats and these might also be more ignored by potential adopters visiting. But I do appreciate that you are trying to maximise the amount of cats you can help Ron, we have about 400 cats on our waiting list  :Crazy: and i do worry about what's happening to them while they wait for a space (we do refer them to other shelters but everywhere in our area is very overwhelmed too). We are hoping to expand eventually and i too like the idea of pens that can be opened into each other, occasionaly we will get a lot of cats from a multicat household (last lot was 15 cats from one house) and to be able to house them so that they could decide who they prefer to be with would be good. The rescue link didn't work for me funkychicken as I would have liked to have a look it sounds good, is it me or you!  :thanks:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 23:54:36 PM »
I cant say what is the preferred method for our local rescue - but they recently had a new "cattery" fitted.

It is primarily individual runs, of which are large enough to house those who come in as pairs etc. However each side panel of the single runs can be opened out into each other should the cat next door want to pop in. They used this for a few sociable cats that just wanted company, but were happy going back to their own pen. This is good because you have the choice and those who prefer to be only cats still have that privalge
They converted a room into 2 playgroups. Much much larger and mainly used for litters of playfuls kittens & their mum (if the kittens still need her). Decked out in cat trees, toys etc.
They also have the "hospital" bit for isolation.

Anyway! Good luck, i'm so excited for you!! Cant wait to see pics of the end result, whichever method you choose  ;D ;D

who manufactured these - we're looking at suppliers at the moment?

I'm not sure but can find out for you! Alternatively the rescue is www.s.a.r.a.org if you wanted to contact them directly (email:  sara.foxrushfarm@btconnect.com & Tel: 01642 488108)- it looks like upvc so fully washable and looks bright and clean  :)
They are a bit like yourself in that they are converting a farmhouse  ;D

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »
I cant say what is the preferred method for our local rescue - but they recently had a new "cattery" fitted.

It is primarily individual runs, of which are large enough to house those who come in as pairs etc. However each side panel of the single runs can be opened out into each other should the cat next door want to pop in. They used this for a few sociable cats that just wanted company, but were happy going back to their own pen. This is good because you have the choice and those who prefer to be only cats still have that privalge
They converted a room into 2 playgroups. Much much larger and mainly used for litters of playfuls kittens & their mum (if the kittens still need her). Decked out in cat trees, toys etc.

Anyway! Good luck, i'm so excited for you!! Cant wait to see pics of the end result, whichever method you choose  ;D ;D

who manufactured these - we're looking at suppliers at the moment?

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:25:49 AM »

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 22:21:56 PM »
As a general rule I don't agree with community groups.  I think all rescues should be segregated and isolated from one another if for nothign else but to reduce stress and ease the whole rescue experience.  What format that is, well that's open to interpretation based on the facilities you have. Certainly I know ours is far from your 'typical' set up.

The only group we have that life together is those that will live here permanently for the rest of their days.  Everyone else is segregated in one form or another.  What works for one may not work for the other but so long as you consider the options for transmission of parasites and infection and put in protocols accordingly to keep the cats as safe as possible then I can't see how others can judge.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

Angie good luck with everything, I would love to be in your shoes right now but truth is if I was I`d be terrified  :hug:

Thats an affirmative! Where are all the young dynamic go-getting volunteers?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »
As everyone knows I am a stern believer in proper isolation facilities,there is nothing worse than rescue cats being hit with a virus ;however we all know that some cats can end up in care for many months some years, Pens with individual outside runs are a blessing,I am lucky enough to be able to allow some long termers and ferals free roaming access.
At the end of the day it is down to each rescue to do what they believe is best for the cats both physically and mentally.
Angie good luck with everything, I would love to be in your shoes right now but truth is if I was I`d be terrified  :hug:

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
I have one big run and have had the odd swearing but nothing to bad, we also have gages all around and we put the new comers in one of them for two days, then we just leave the gage door open, some stay in for longer but they end up laying in the fresh air, at the moment there is about 20 in my big run. but we soon move one away to a pen on its own if one looks poorly and get it to the vets, but i do have smaller  holding pens where thay go till thay have seen the vet, we hold about 50 cats we could not take so many in otherwise

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 13:34:30 PM »
the last thing you want is a virus going around which is why single pens are best for most of it. Maybe a communal room could be used for those "long timers" who are happy with it. food for thought...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 13:23:09 PM »
I agree with Janey but if only one type could be afforded I would go for single accomodation.

I have seen in action a rescue only with communial facilites and it was awful, cats fighting and one cat who was so stressed it suffered fron cat flu every time it was taken from sick quarters and put back with all the other cats.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
I'd say so definitely.   The last cat I adopted was with other cats but they had their own little enclosed area to go to if they wanted and they all did that, never used each other beds.  However the ones which wanted to play together could, if they wished.

eta: actually to come to think of it I've been to a few rescues like that, one I'm thinking of right now had separate compartments for those who were new in/poorly/preferred to be on their own etc.... but the ones which were well and ok with other cats were in rooms together.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 13:00:04 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Rescues - single runs, community rooms or both?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
We all know the bigger rescues have individual runs to keep one or two cats in. This is good from an illness point of view but I do wonder whether it is necessarily good for well being.

Yes some cats are better off on their own but, as I'm sure some of you know with your own cats, some cats must surely be happier in a community environment, especially if they are going to be stuck in a rescue for several months.

Is there a place for both in a rescue?

Link to CatChat