Author Topic: Riley poorly and staying at the vets :(  (Read 10693 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Riley poorly and staying at the vets :(
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 21:36:48 PM »
Thanks so much for all the well wishes, they really are very much appreciated  :hug:

I'm pleased to report that they worked and Riley is back home  :wow: The vet rang and said he hadn't been sick at all since he'd been there and other than a fast breathing rate seemed fine. She said there was a big strand of grass in the carrier mixed in with mucous that he'd chucked up on the way there and she reckons that was caught in his throat. He did throw up on the examination table a few times (including one very large puddle on the floor  :naughty: ) so they can see I'm not a hypochondriac... hopefully!

When I collected him the vet showed me the strand of grass and compared to his usual 'output' it was actually quite small!  So it seems that the grass munching was indeed the culprit, normally he munches on it then chucks up and bounces back outside to play but this time it seems to have got stuck on the way back up. When I cleared up the 'poo' it was in fact grass blades covered in a poo coating!  :sick:

Here's a few pics of him taken earlier today just a few hours before his yowling/vomiting/panting/pooing episode

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 21:17:53 PM »
Sorry to hear Riley is poorly  :(   hope he is soon feeling better    :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 21:14:06 PM »
Sending Get well vibes Rileys way  :hug:  :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 21:09:33 PM »
Poor little lad, wishing for some good news for you and Riley.

Nicky x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 21:01:03 PM »
Sending all the get well vibes the Clan cat muster for Master Riley and  :hug: :hug: for Lu and his Mum

I always get them treated then worry about the cost we have the Bank of Daddy for the monetary stuff
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 20:55:01 PM »
Sending lots of get well soon vibes for Riley and a  :hug: :hug: for you Helen.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 20:35:16 PM »
o no! sending get well soon vibes for Riley :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 20:34:17 PM »
Vets Now incredibly expensive here too but excellent care.  Thank heaven for insurance.

Am waiting for updates on our Riley Boy Helen and very much hoping, whatever it is, works it's way thru his system without any surgical intervention  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Am with you and Lucas  in spirit and sending every possible good vibes Riley's way  :care: :care: :care:   Poor little man.  Oh heavens, feel so worried for you all  :( :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 20:24:05 PM »
Sending lots of good vibes for Riley, hope you can bring him home tomorrow.
Lots of love to you and Lu Lu. :hug: :hug:

Mister bill was £600  for a day as it was on a Sunday that included 4 xrays .

Hope you get some good news soon.x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 20:19:29 PM »
Jeez, Helen. Hope the little guy is OK. Does sound like he's got some grass twisted round his intestine, doesn't it.  :scared:

Hope they can sort him out but it may mean some minor surgery. Thank God you have insurance.  :hug:

I used our VetNow in London and actually they were brilliant. I know they get a bad rep elsewhere but the vet I saw was totally professional and only gave Tufty the treatment he needed. OK it cost, but it was a severe UTI and we otherwise might have lost him  :( I like to think of it as CreditCardNow.

Everything crossed now for Riley  :crossed:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 19:48:24 PM »
Thanks both, hopefully not too long til they ring and can put my mind at rest.  I noticed a QR code at the bottom of the paperwork they gave me, I scanned it and you can see everything they write in his notes - nothing since 6.30 where the handover vet agreed to wait and see effects of drugs administered before any invasive procedures are considered - technology eh!

I do hope he is OK and is that just for watching him!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yep! He has had two injections which are around £10 each, the £460 quote includes a theoretical sedation @ £40 if they need to look for anything causing him to wretch but the rest is made up of out of hours fee, consult fee and 'patient care'. Like I say I would find the money even if he wasn't insured but the costs involved for out of hours are frightening.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 19:37:01 PM »
Sending lots of love, huggles and healing vibes for the gorgeous Riley xxx get better soon sweetie.  Also sending hugs for you and Lu Lu who must be missing his brother xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 19:34:10 PM »
I do hope he is OK and is that just for watching him!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Misas bill was about £400 to have xrays and scans after loosing his voice and  wretching, thoiught he had some grass caught but he didnt, just had a sore throat and laryngitus, needed convenia jab and something else and he recovered very quickly.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 19:06:34 PM »
Lol, don't get me started on those cowboys... >:(

Still, as long as he's OK.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 19:01:28 PM »
Thanks Angie, they said they would ring later this evening, I'm going to ring at 8pm if I haven't heard from them. I asked if I could stay to help settle him in to the kennel but they said it was handover time with lots of emergencies so basically No!

It's my normal vet surgery but is run by VetsNow out of hours, they gave me an estimate of them keeping him there til midday tommorow (took him in about 5:30pm) ... £460  :Crazy: Thankfully I'm insured and even if I wasn't I'd find the money but even so  :Crazy:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 18:54:48 PM »
 :hug:

Oh no = hope he's OK. Are they going to give you regular updates?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Riley poorly and staying at the vets :(
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 18:50:02 PM »
Had to take Riley to the out of hours vets earlier today and they've kept him in :(

He had been outside eating long grass as he does regularly, he came in and started to make the 'I'm going to be sick noises' which is quite normal. Except he only managed to get a few blades of grass up despite trying to be sick about ten times. He then started putting his tongue in and out like a snake and frothing at the mouth before doing a poo in his bed (I think he was trying to get something out by being sick and his body tried to get it out the other end). Then he started panting whilst he was laying on his sides and his chest was going up and down really noticeabley.

Not sure what's wrong with him but my gut feeling is that it's connected to him eating this really long grass. Even though LuLu is still here the house feels really empty without him  :(

Link to CatChat