Author Topic: My Beautiful Handicapped Orangino  (Read 5440 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: My Beautiful Handicapped Orangino
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
He looks absolutely gorgeous and very happy and contented. 

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 07:11:27 AM »
he's so happy and seems to love life.

And there, dear friend, you have the answer to your worries.   :hug: :hug:  He is happy.  And I think for a cat with his unique qualities, they count as pretty fancy moves - just different fancy moves.   ;)  Well done, Orangino.  You're one very special cat.  :Luv2:

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Orangino, Keesha, Zukina, Dartagnian, Dante
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
I'm so happy for Orangino, he has become good friends with Dartagnian our crazy brown tabby.  They actually chase each other, it's pretty amazing to see Orangino run!!  Of course he cant do the same fancy moves Dartagnian does, but can still keep up.  Watching them play like that brings tears to me eyes, he's so happy and seems to love life.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 17:24:50 PM »
 :welcome:
I love ginger cats and Orangino is just gorgeous , he looks a very happy and contented boy  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 13:50:47 PM »
 :welcome: and what a gorgous boy he is :Luv:

Often a vet can tell if there is pain by manipulating the joints and seeing the reaction I believe but where that's not possible I would assume that you would have some indication by his behaviour and movement.  He certainly looks happy and content in the photos,  just keep loving and an eye on things but hopefully he will be fine  :hug:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 13:52:08 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:27 AM »

Orangino is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.    :hug:

Whatever his disability, he looks like a contented and happy cat.   I agree with Snarf - not all vets believe that owners will have the time, care and patience to deal with special needs animals, but there's plenty of evidence on Purrs alone of miracles being wrought inasmuch as these cats can lead just as happy and fulfilling lives as their fully able counterparts.  None of us know how long we will have our beautiful babies in our lives, and therefore each day that's lived and enjoyed is precious, and enough of itself.   :hug: :hug:

I hope that you have many many happy times ahead with your gorgeous boy, and for his sister too.    :)

Wet Orangino kisses sound just purrfect!   :Luv:

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:22 AM »
I agree, he is pretty amazing, we 're so lucky to have this little boy in our lives!!  I especially love the way he kisses me, I call them "Wet Orangino Kisses".  I told my hubby if Orangino were human I would divorce him in a minute!!

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
he is amazing :Luv2: i love his name and his face, he just looks like he is smiling...hes adorable :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 19:17:55 PM »
oh my yes I see now - you know your cat they are good at hiding pain but he really does look so happy and relaxed

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 18:51:56 PM »
Hes very handsome  :Luv: and he looks content. so are the legs missing from roughly the knee and pink at the ends from walking on? (guessing) it can only help to have a chat with one of the more optimistic vets next time your in for what to expect as time goes on and if theres anything you should watch for or can do to assist him.

i dont know if this will help but with my Neko, i didnt notice that his legs were bothering him early enough, hes ok now but in hindsight there were signs. so, ive decided to put together notes on his( and my other 2) habits and range of movement and update/ compare regularly. might be no use to me at all but cant hurt and at the least will be interesting as they all get older to see how their movements change

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 18:32:36 PM »
gosh what a handsome little soul he is  :Luv2:.     
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 18:27:14 PM »
If u look at the photos carefully you ll see he is missing his hind legs from the down

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 14:24:29 PM »
:welcome: to the forum.
What a great looking furbabe, he certainly looks as if he's happy  :Luv2:
I don't know if its the case with cats, but sometimes when baby rabbits are born, an inexperienced mother can accidentally chew off the odd ear when attempting to clean up her babies after the birth, if his sister has similar deformities I think it's more likely than both of them being trapped by their umbilical chords, particularly if they were born rough.
I think you are doing a wonderful job, I bet you are so happy you didn't take the first vets advice  ;D
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 13:15:18 PM »
he looks very happy and contented and is very handsome  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
he certainly looks happy!  so his legs are just a little short and nothing is missing?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
Here's his pics :)  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »
Thanks to all of u for the positive info.  Orangino is around 2 or 3 years old, he was rescued by a dear friend last year along with his sister Orangina, also missing a leg!  Orangina currently lives with my friend Glenda and Orangino is with us.  Orangino is a very active young cat, under supervision he even attempts to hunt!! We purchased kitty stairs  to help him get on the sofa and bed, although he insists on jumping off rather then using them.  One of Ornagino's hind legs is a little shorter then the other, that's the one he doesn't use much, it's also kinda boney.  The other hind leg is also short but offers him some cushioning, that's the one he uses most. He seems totally ok with his disability, sometimes I think it bothers me more than him.
I promise some photos real soon.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 22:06:53 PM »
And Mikey is still well and living in Scotland, one amazing cat  ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 20:33:33 PM »
There is a note explaining it just two above yours - or go down to the Attachments bit under where you normally post writing -if you do it that way you do have to make them small.

or link to it here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13872.0.html

some vets are pessimistic and see the worst possible outcome. they also see some of the worst in pet owners and see animals regularly suffer when their owners wont treat them  :hug: this clearly isnt the case with you and the other vets clearly arent so blinkered. i would trust in them and your own observations

several peeps here have cats with medical issues, our purrs mascot minimopsical, the tabby girl in the flower pot at the bottom of the screen, had a severe neurological disorder but with much love and care, Teresa gave her a happy if short life see her story here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27147.msg572134.html#msg572134

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31728.400.html
This is the story of mikey, a cat who was paralysed from the waist  down, with some adjustments hes living a full and very happy life :Luv:

So much is possible with the right medical care and (corny as it sounds) love

i have a cat who, due to inbreeding has amongst other issues some skeletal deformaties. hes a very active very bouncy very happy boy who is delighted by everything :Luv: hes recently been troubled by his legs but is on medication and health supplements and basic physiotherapy and its made a marked difference. obviously every case is different but i think if youre willing to put the work in, you can do so much to improve quality of life

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 20:21:34 PM »
Many years ago I rescued a mum and kittens from a skip,sadly the umbilical cord had wrapped itself tightly around the leg of one kitten cutting off the blood supply, when kitten was about 3 weeks old I found half her leg like a dried plant stalk in the bed,thankfully the vet had told me what to expect. at 9weeks of age the stump was amputated and she recovered well and was rehomed.
If this is the case with Orangina modern medicine can work wonders but I really feel some form of surgical intervention will be necessary. Good Luck.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 20:03:20 PM »
Hi Cometina

:welcome:  would love to hear more about Orangino and see pics  ;D ;D He sounds a darlin  :Luv:

if you would like you can pop me an email with the pics attached and i will upload to this thread for ya :)

There are two ways to load s pics up
As Wonkypaws says below :)  :thanks: you can reduce the size of your pics to under 500 pixsels longest side and attach by using the attachment option under each post box.

or upload them to an outside photo webstorage site like photobucket and put the image link into the post message box.

Offline wonkypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 19:51:26 PM »
There is a note explaining it just two above yours - or go down to the Attachments bit under where you normally post writing -if you do it that way you do have to make them small.

Good luck with it. and best wished to Orangina

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 19:31:31 PM »
How do I post a pic?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 18:13:35 PM »
Think wed also need a picture, and how much of his legs has he lost.........loads more info please

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 17:59:30 PM »
we need to know more.

how old is he? how much movement does he have? is it nerve damage?

again if he is happy then all seems well at the moment.

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 17:39:36 PM »
The reason I'm concerned is a vet told me it's probably not fair to him living with this condition, yet 2 others said he is fine.  This cat is so happy and playful that just e thought of euthanasia seems extreme.  My main concern is how will time take a toll on his legs.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 17:03:40 PM »
I am sure you have nothing to worry about if he is active and seems happy  If you don't trust your vet you could always ask for a second opinion but it doesn't seem to me that there is a problem

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 16:55:43 PM »
If he is happy and active and shows no sign of pain and the vet doesnt think he has any problems........well he is fine  ;D

Offline Cometina

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 16:29:07 PM »
He seems so happy and active.  The vets think that the umbilical cord was tangled around his hind legs and so he lost part of 2 legs that way.  He gets around really well, but I still worry that he might feel pain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 14:53:00 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrrs  ;D

Please give us more information

Offline Cometina

• Kitten