Author Topic: 6yo female tortie needs loving forever home (remained with owners)  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: 6yo female tortie needs loving forever home (remained with owners)
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »
I've received the following happy news:

"Sorry I've not updated before, I'd completely forgot about it until the email.

I just tried to update but it won't let me so I'm hoping you could add a note on there for me?

The outcome was great!
After moving house, away from the cats who would attack Bliss, she's been amazing!
She's a million times happier and the spraying stopped almost immediately and a couple of months later her fur grew back
We are so pleased, I was desperate to keep her and seeing how happy she is now, living in the middle of nowhere, she's so much more confident!
She's even warming to my husband, slowly but surely.
Bliss and my daughter are now inseparable and we couldn't be happier.

Thank you to everyone for all their help and especially Purrs charity for the offer of a place!

Beth x"

Yay  ;D that great news !!

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: 6yo female tortie needs loving forever home (Uknown Outcome)
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 19:42:15 PM »
As there has been no updates I'll move this to sorted now.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: 6yo female tortie needs loving forever home
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »
Any news please?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 13:18:56 PM »
worth a try, you sound like you are doing everything you can  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Anything's worth trying.  :hug: Definitely try and get a referral and see if they can help.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 19:31:43 PM »
Always worth a try I would have thought  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
yes i would try that  ;D

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »
Does anyone think it would make any difference at all to get a referral from our vet to call out a qualified pet bahaviour therapist, or do you think it wouldn't work if she's nervous around my husband and it's gone on too long?

Clutching at straws I know and I don't want to jeopardise a potential place with cat cuddles if it doesn't work and I've messed them around.

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I still don't know if I'm making the right decision.  I don't know how to let her go. :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
Glad you have rescue help. :) I did crosspost on FB but it's great to see someone stepped in and offered to help Bliss with her problem. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 23:09:33 PM »
So pleased Cat Cuddles are willing to help and sounds like she has too many issues to stay with you sadly but if a miricle happened that would be wonderful  :hug: :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 21:30:10 PM »
Hello ek and  :welcome: to the forum

I am really sorry to read about all the stress that you are having with Bliss who is absolutely adorable

I hope that a new home can be found for her soon

good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 19:06:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Have been in contact with cat cuddles and she will be put on their sponsored waiting list.

We are totally heartbroken but it's all we can do for her.  Unfortunately we think it's men and strange cats that make poor Bliss stressed.  She's so petrified of the local RSPCA shelter that when they boarded her while we went away, she urinated and soiled herself and sat in it for a week.  She wouldn't even move.  How can i let her go back to that?!

My husband tries so hard with Bliss, but she's so nervous around him and runs out of the room when he walks in.  It's been over 4 years now and she still does it.  Problem is my husband can't sneak around.  We have a toddler who wants him to play with her and it just upsets Bliss.

She had a problem also with the neighbourhood cats, they kept getting in and attacking her in her own home.  We bought a catflap that would only open to her and Mouse, our other cat, by their chips, but the cats still attack them on their way into the house.  Luckily we're moving but it still didn't help the issue.

I'm almost certain that a new quieter home, with no other cats, no small kids and maybe no men, that she would stop the spraying, but i can't ignore the fact that she does spray at the moment and try to hide it when looking for a new home for her as it wouldn't be fair to anyone and thus people don't want her :(

I'm devastated to have failed Bliss, i'm so so sad for her.  She's such a loving and cuddly cat, she just wants love, attention and a safe, quiet home.  I just can't give her that and as much as i want to keep her and just continue to clean up after her, it's not fair on her or my daughter.

I wish she didn't have to go so far away (I'm in Gloucestershire) and i know i'll miss her and think about her forever and probably regret our decision, but i want her to be happy and i really don't know what else we can possibly do.

We're willing to keep her with us, even when we move and she will be with us for as long as she's on Catcuddles waiting list and if by some miracle the move sorts out her spraying then i will be forever grateful.  I will pray for this.

I hope Catcuddles can make her happy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 19:13:17 PM by ek.knight »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 00:36:51 AM »
Thanks

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 00:14:31 AM »
No, don't think so. But I am in regular contact with two "no kill" shelters down south. Worth a try.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 00:13:04 AM »
I dont why the cat is terrified and may have nothing to do with a pen tbh.

Do you have any contacts with Cat Cuddles Rescue?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 00:10:35 AM »
Fair point - but I can't think of a single cat that life in a pen is ideal for, can you?

That aside, I will crosspost for the OP and see if anyone might be able to help in other rescues.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 00:08:25 AM »
That is true JS but the poster said that the cat is terrified of this place so doent sound good to try and send it back there.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 00:06:53 AM »
I have to say this, and I've already admitted I'm NOT a big fan of the RSPCA overall - but not all branches have the same policy. I'd be tempted to find out what their policy is regarding animals with behavioural issues. I know that the Cornwall branch of the RSPCA my sister in law got her dog from has a trained behaviourist on site and on the pay roll.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 00:03:03 AM »
What area are you in?

I saw yesterday another cat going to Cat Cuddles which is London if I remember correctly, its a rescue who I have been told will do a lot of work with a cat before trying to rehome...............If you are not too far away it maybe worth contacting them and see if they can fit her in.

I recall they had no spaces until next week

I would not return to RSPCA no matter what the rules are cos I reckon they are most likely just to PTS and you have had her a long time.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 22:49:13 PM »
Firstly, I'm sorry you're in this position. The RSPCA policy for most branches is definitely to return an animal if for whatever reason they can no longer stay in your home. I got my first cat from them many years ago and I still have the paperwork with a statement to that effect. Basically, I'd call them - I think you may actually be breaking the terms of your adoption agreement if you rehome privately. (I'm not a big fan of the RSPCA but sadly, I think you have to abide by those guidelines.)

Bliss has always sprayed? Or she's sprayed for a long time?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 22:43:06 PM »
If she could go to a fosterer though a rescue maybe that would work, then she wouldn't have to be in a centre and they could see how she acted re spraying.

That would probably be a good idea - you may find that the problem resolves spontaneously on being in a different environment. I foster for a rescue in Wiltshire, and I know some of the other fosterers have had cats in with similar problems which have resolved just by them coming out of the home they were in. I've had a cat in that was soiling outside the tray in its own home - he never once soiled outside the tray from day one on foster with me.  :hug:

I personally wouldnt try homing directly, I think a good rescue will work with the cat to resolve any issues and carefully match cat to new owner. I would get her on the waiting list of local rescues now and hopefully one can take her before you have to move.  :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 21:47:04 PM »
I can totally understand how difficult it is. I had two cats that didn't get on. I took on one cat that needed a home and my original cat hated her. I kept them together for a few years but it wasn't a good situation. I tried everything to get them to like each other but nothing worked. So I ended up rehoming one, fortunately for me my parents took one of them when their dog died and both the cats were really happy after that. I can't imagine how you've managed to put up with a cat spraying for 4 year it must be a nightmare.

If she could go to a fosterer though a rescue maybe that would work, then she wouldn't have to be in a centre and they could see how she acted re spraying. I would be a little worried that it's now a habit if she's been doing it so long and would need someone with lots of experience to sort her out.   

Hope you manage to get something sorted for her. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 21:15:15 PM »
I am very sorry for the other writers comment and can only hope you find a home for Bliss, maybe shee needs a quiet adult only home perhaps a retired couple who can give her what she needs, you haven't failed her yet

Most folks on here read a story before they post and we are a nice bunch really
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 17:33:01 PM »
We've been searching for a home for her for a long time, it's not just now.

We've worked with her to get over her stress for 4 years, she's had her own area of the house, we've tried everything we've been advised to try.  This was NOT an easy decision to get rid of the cat!

The last straw was when my 2yo put a hand covered with urine crystals in her mouth after the cat had sprayed on her toy kitchen.

This is certainly not a spur of the moment decision and it's NOT been made lightly.

I only came on this forum as I was told people would help not judge!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 15:48:57 PM »
You have kown about this for a very long time and you move in May.............why has ity taken you so long to act?

Sorry I feel so sorry for the cat

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 14:41:30 PM »
 Don't think it's my daughter as we've had the cat well over 4 years and she's always done it.  My daughter is only 20 months.  It's not only her toys, it's just her toys is the straw that broke the camels back.

I will contact other shelters. Bun fortunately I'm moving in May so I have a tight timeframe.  I will look around and if I can't find anywhere then I'll have to take her back.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 13:59:53 PM »
I havent adopted a cat from the rspca, i have however taken in two lovebirds off them so thats why im aware of their terms and conditions. after the rehome visit you do sign a contract that clearly states that the animal must be returned if you do not/are unable to home the pet any longer. :-:
Im sure other members of the board will be able to advise further on whether they actually do act upon those conditions as ive never had to return a pet...
I know it must be highly upsetting for you, it may be that you simply...with all the best intentions on your behalf...arent the right home for her.
i suspect the issue may be your daughter, some cats unfortunately dont take kindly to human babies arriving and interupting their life.
she does sound extremely distressed bless her, unfortunately a two year old and a cat can make a very upsetting duo :shy:
it seems she is targeting your daughters toys  :scared:

i suspect that if your daughter was older then the issue may calm down but obviously its something you are going through right now.... my youngest is just under 4 and we got our first two kittens last year, their were some issues but i think getting cats after having children rather than vice versa meant they adapted to our family slightly better. oddly they love my daughter (3 year old) with a passion and shes allowed to carry them up and down and they dont blink, if i pick them up they wriggle free :innocent:

hopefully someone will come along soon with some good advice as to what to do next  :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 13:40:58 PM »
Have you tried other rescues in your area? They will put her on the waiting list and could advertise her, while she stays with you. I personally wouldn't go to the RSPCA as I don't trust them not to put animals down. I't doesn't sound likely you will easily find her a home with her problems. It could be because of your daughter that she is urinating, so might be fine somewhere else. How long has she been doing it?

Here's a list of shelters in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/glos.html

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 13:22:35 PM »
I'm not sure, I didn't sign anything and it was years ago.

Considering she is so petrified of that shelter though, surely it's better I try to find her a home to go to directly?

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
dont you have to return an rspca cat back to them if you cant home them anymore? i thought that is one of their terms?

Offline ek.knight

• Kitten
6yo female tortie needs loving forever home (remained with owners)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Please help, I need to rehome my 6 yo female tortie.
We think she's 6 but was abandoned with her kittens at a very young age, then spent over a year in the RSPCA before we took her in.
She has been spayed, is up to date with vaccinations and boosters and is chipped.
She is dark tortie, I will post a pic later as soon as I'm on my home pc.

She is incredibly loving and playful, she loves going outside and curling up on your lap.  She loves kids if they're calm and loves our other male cat.

She really doesn't like other stranger cats though.

I've tried rehoming before but unfortunately no one wants her, I'll explain why.

She has a problem with spraying on absolutely everything, multiple times a day.
We've tried everything we can but we can't do it anymore, my 2 yo daughter put a handful of urine crystal in her mouth after the cat sprayed on her toy kitchen!

We've tried giving her her own room, tried multiple litter trays with all types of litter, washed areas with bio powder, used deterrents etc.
The vet says there's nothing medically wrong with her.

We're moving in May and need to find somewhere for her to go.  I'm hoping someone can help me as I really don't want to send her back to the RSPCA as she's petrified of that place.

Her name is Bliss, my email is ek.knight@gmail.com and I live in Cirencester, Gloucestershire.

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:20:22 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat