Author Topic: Database - Animal Shelter Manager  (Read 5329 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Database - Animal Shelter Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
we use ASM here too and it is very helpful for tracking care of the all the cats. We also use it to generate our paperwork for adoptions which does help save some time writing everything manually.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 16:38:50 PM »
all our cats are photgraphed for the web. I have a strict computer file order so cats needing homes are on my D drive

ccg/homeswanted/1234 fluff/ where 1234 is the cat number.
each cat then has its photos stored in there and any notes i want to make on it.

when they are homed i move the directory (usually when i remember!) to ccg/homed/..... so that its still all there for me to access if i want/need to.

It works as long as there is no confusion over cat numbers!

yes i would be totally lost without photos! the database is useful though when someone renames their cat and have forgotton what its rescuename was.

If anyone does want to make use of the database I am happy to try and help with any questions.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 15:36:58 PM »
Wow ... that looks like a really good tool for any rescue.  As someone who uses databases all day every day ... I'd say that looks like a good one.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 15:26:24 PM »
all our cats are photgraphed for the web. I have a strict computer file order so cats needing homes are on my D drive

ccg/homeswanted/1234 fluff/ where 1234 is the cat number.
each cat then has its photos stored in there and any notes i want to make on it.

when they are homed i move the directory (usually when i remember!) to ccg/homed/..... so that its still all there for me to access if i want/need to.

It works as long as there is no confusion over cat numbers!

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 15:07:23 PM »
it is a bit confusing to start with (and we have a couple of computer phobics who wont go near it!) but we are only fairly small and still find it really useful. I don't know about you but I know all the cats here and can tell you about them but once a cat has been adopted they all start to blur a bit and I can have trouble remembering them properly  :-[

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 14:24:24 PM »
looks good - mind you we have enough problems with a simple spreadsheet! I guess for a larger recue it would be useful.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
Database - Animal Shelter Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 14:18:11 PM »
http://sheltermanager.sourceforge.net/home.php

Just wanted to reccommend this to anyone running any kind or scale of rehoming.
We find having a database is essential for keeping track of animals onsite and those that have been adopted. What is really good about ASM is it is FREE to all animal shelters/rescues. The database is kept on their servers and is accessable online. The person who developed it is obviously doing his part for animals and has been really good about updating it. The new version ASM3 should now be available.

Link to CatChat