Author Topic: Care for 6 week old kitten  (Read 1668 times)

Offline new cat mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Name undecided
Re: Care for 6 week old kitten
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 17:19:14 PM »
Thank you for the replies, I shall be doing lots more reading tonight, inbetween lots of cuddles of course  :Luv:

I shall join cat chat later too x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
Further to my post on the Welcome page, can I also point you in the direction of our sister site?

http://www.catchat.org/

Catchat is where Purrs In Our Hearts originated from some 6 years ago, and many of us are members there too. The cat care guides are very useful, but CC is where you will find links to your local Rescues where you will also find support and further guidance (Oh and somewhere to donate all your kitten parephernalia when you're done with it!)

Once again, good luck with the baby - so exciting, I bet you don't sleep tonight!  :Luv2:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
 :welcome:

Hello that's scarey stuff!! We're going to be getting some kittens when we get back from holiday after Easter and what I've been doing is reading up on some of the rescue centre websites as there is a lot of good advice out there. Main things are to keep them in for a while, make sure they get wormed, chipped and (when the time is right) neutered and make sure there is plenty to keep them occupied. Kittens have to be fed 4/6 times a day as well.  When my Chelsea wasn't eating or drinking properly I used a syringe which I bought from the chemist to get some water down her - it worked so I will be using it again if I need to but just in much more tiny amounts.
I've used Chestnut Cat Sanctuary and The Scratching Post mainly for info.
It might be an idea to make sure you have nothing hazardous from certain plants to long curtains or gaps in the kitchen cabinets!!
On the name front Battersea Dogs & Cats home site has some suggestions.

Good luck!!!

Offline new cat mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Name undecided
Care for 6 week old kitten
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
Hello again, I have posted full details in my intro in the newbie section but wanted to ask here for advice...

As of this afternoon I will become devoted mummy to a 6 week old kitten, please can someone tell me how to provide the best care for him, especially feeding?? Will he need any supplements, goats milk or anything else? I will be taking him to the vets in the morning to see about a worming program as I doubt very much he's had any...

I'll update on his condition when hubby comes home with him later x

Link to CatChat