Author Topic: Could I have found the problem?  (Read 7380 times)

Offline redfan

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Slushy, Gizmo
Could I have found the problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 21:27:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new here and for all I hate making my first post a question I kinda need some advice ASAP.

I have 2 cats (brothers) Slushy and Gizmo, they are 11 months old and have been doing great.  However last Thursday we had to take Gizmo to the vet as he had been licking an area near his groin repeatedly.  On examination it was revealed fleas were the cause.  A treatment of Frontline was given and another pack to treat Slushy with when we got home.

From here Gizmo was a bit down in the dumps, however was fine.  Last Saturday they were playing rather aggressively for around 45 mins, then out of nowhere one of them had been sick (not a huge amount).  They both remained fine and eating etc.  Later on Saturday Gizmo was being very quiet and lack luster.  I rang the vet and he asked us to bring him in.  The vet found a slight temperature and administered an injection and gave a 5 day course of Oxy Care 50mg.

By Monday there remained little improvement in Gizmo's playfulness and general lethargy.   The vet wanted to see him again.  Temp was normal this time, and from a full exam the vet can find no ill health and suggested should it persist then the next step will be blood tests.  He suggested we bath him to remove any Frontline residue in case this has been the issue, we did this.

It's important to point out at this point, at no time has Gizmo's eating or toileting suffered at all, in fact he keeps displaying the same lust for our human food as ever.

Yesterday he had a very wet / diarrhoea poo.  After speaking with the vet both me and him agreed at this point to just leave him be, keeping an eye on poo (he's not been going any more often than normal) and call the vet tomorrow to update.

Today he's been a little more playful, and it remains that throughout this its only his (previously extremely active) activity has suffered, nothing else.

As in the thread title, I have suddenly thought of something.  For the last 10 days or so Slushy has been extremely amorous with Gizmo, to the point we have had to remove him several times a day .. this has only gotten worse this last week.

Therefore, is it possible that over this week whilst we inc the vet have been looking for the physical, could this be behavioural as a result of Slushy's constant err sexual holding (chewing on his neck etc) positions he forces Gizmo into to? 

They will both be getting the snip as soon as we are sure Gizmo is well enough.  Would be great to have some kind of reassurance that this is quite possibly exactly what is wrong.

Sorry to have made this quite lengthy but trying to give as much info as possible :)

Many many thanks, and I look forward to becoming an active contributor on the boards   :wow:

Link to CatChat