Author Topic: Geriatric cat - how thin is too thin?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Geriatric cat - how thin is too thin?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 17:33:05 PM »
My Ducha is 18 1/2 with 3 legs and is a featherweight, he doesnt go out any more and proberly has other stuff wrong with him more than just his arthritus but while he is happy and bopping about he isnt going anywhere.

They will let you know when they are too tired for this world but doesnt sound that they are right now  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 16:41:54 PM »
agreed! thin is not a problem as long as everything else is ok. if they go out, hope they are chipped to stop some well meaning person who thinks they need rescuing.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 16:28:04 PM »
Our dear Uncle M (at the Bridge now) was noticeably thin in his dotage though he ate well and had a clean bill of health. If she's in fine fettle I shouldn't think it is anything to worry about- just old age.

Offline Feline-Fan

• Kitten
  • New Mummy to 'Elvis' (dob 26.10.13)
  • Slave to: Lola (RIP 24/10/13) & Molly (RIP 23/09/12)
Geriatric cat - how thin is too thin?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 16:11:37 PM »
Hiya,

Long time no post!

My 2 gorgeous gals are 20 yrs in a couple of weeks. They are both definitley showing signs of age, but I'm not sure whether to be worried about one of them or not, as she is quite thin.  She seems in fine fettle though, with no obvious ailments, eats well, goes to the loo normally etc. She is a bit wobbley on her back legs every now and again, which we put down to her age. She did have full blood work about 18 months ago, following an episode of idiopathic vestibular syndrome and all seemed to be more or less ok.

Anyone else have a very old cat(s), who are thin, but seem OK? Just don't want to put her through the stress of a trip to the vet if no real need.

Thanks
Mummy to Angel Lola - (04/04/92 - 24/010/13)

Angel Molly (04/04/92 - 23/09/12)

Link to CatChat