Author Topic: Eye removal  (Read 2237 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Eye removal
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 21:09:25 PM »
 :hug:

Offline ripleysmum

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Felix & Molly
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 21:06:01 PM »
I am too..I can't tell you how relieved i was when my son woke me up at 3am with Felix in his arms!!!!!....

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 20:53:04 PM »
Just so pleased he came home and is now on the mend :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 00:21:32 AM »
Thank God he came home and you could get it sorted, sounds very painful  :hug:

My friends cat has only one eye after being in an accident but she goes outside OK, I guess the issue with Felix is his limited vision in the other eye so sounds like a walking jacket or harness is the way to go.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 23:11:26 PM »
What a terrible story and so pleased he came home and the eye is now sorted  :hug: :hug:

Even with limited sight in his other eye he will find his way round once the collar is gone, cats are so clever.

I am moving this post to the health section so it will get more views.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 19:14:12 PM »
a walking jacket might be the way to go or you could try a litter tray with compost in?

Offline ripleysmum

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Felix & Molly
Eye removal
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 19:10:53 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I noticed there was something wrong with my cats eye when my son took a photo of him, and the eye didn’t reflect the flash…I thought it was the start of a cataract, and after research, thought it best just to leave it (BIG MISTAKE)…3 days after noticing it I went on holiday for 10 days..5 days in my dad rang me to say there was a yellowish lump protuding from his eye, as I was away there wasn’t anything I could do, another 3 days later my dad rang again to say the eye looked like a raspberry, and was weeping. I returned home last saturday and decided he needed to see a vet asap!!!..so i booked an appointment for the following monday….On sunday he went missing..I looked everywhere for him, with no avail !!!..I came to the assumption he had gone somewhere to die….that night I was doing some research on the internet and I found out what was wrong with his eye..it is called a descemetocele !!..I read on, and it said the eye starts oozing fluid from inside it…and this is what had started happening to him…it said the eye eventually collapses..well all that night i was beside myself knowing he was out there somewhere in excruciating pain with an eye ready to implode!!..I cannot tell you the trauma I was going through!!!!…well, Monday came and he never returned so I cancelled the vets and cried all night….at 3am Tuesday morning I was woken up by my son, with Felix in his arms!!..I was elated!!!!!…as soon as the vets opened I rang them up and that afternoon I took him there..they agreed that his eye would be removed..so they kept him in overnight..and on wednesday he had his eye removed. He is doing well now, even though he hates his buster collar immensley!!!..When i picked Felix up from the vets he crawled up me and snuggled my face and licked me profusely…it was the best feeling i had ever had!!!!!…..the vets said he had most probably suffered an injury to his eye to cause such trauma to it..and unfortunately he has limited vision in his “good” eye…I have spent the last 24 hours on poo and wee watch, as he has been struggling to go…2am sat in the garden watching an elderly cat bump about trying to wee is no fun I can tell you….he has had a good wee since and an explosion of poo…but he still is not as regular as he once was..I was told the operation and anaesthetic would have upset his bowel and bladder!!!!….anyway..the total bill came to just short of £600, and sadly i had no insurance for him, but the vets have been good and let me pay it in bits!!!!!….I just wish I hadn’t have been away when he got so ill, the speed of his eyes’ degeneration was alarming!!!…he must have been in total agony!!!!…

Needless to say, he has made a full recovery...his false eyelashes (stitches) are still waiting to fall out..and he is bounding with energy!!!!...what has surprised me the most is that Felix NEVER EVER used to miow..just the occassional squark!!!!..now he makes noise all the time..BUT it is at the back door!!!!..he is DESPERATE to go out, and I have to supervise him constantly...for a cat who is almost totally blind he does a great job of shinning up the garden gate and doing a runner!!!!!!!....he has never used a litter tray EVER and that is becoming hard to train him!!.....I think i am going to get him a high vis harness from Mynwood.co.uk and get him on a lead xxxxxx

Link to CatChat