Author Topic: Charlies Eating Habits  (Read 1949 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Charlies Eating Habits
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 23:53:13 PM »

Sarah, if hes growing and holding his weight i wouldnt worry too much, it will pay off when hes older, he wont be a fatty!

I agree.  Unless hes losing weight I wouldn't worry about him not eating enough.  Is there any particular reason why you want him to eat dry food?

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 19:14:31 PM »
If i fed my lot the amounts reccommended on the cans they would all be obese!

Sarah, if hes growing and holding his weight i wouldnt worry too much, it will pay off when hes older, he wont be a fatty!
Agreed!  I used to worry about how little my lot seem to eat, sometimes they barely touch their food, but they are all healthy and strong.  My three (young) cats have half a can plus a bowl of dry between them, twice a day.  That seems to be ample for them.  I came to the same conclusion ... that the catfood manufacturers try to get you to use more by encouraging you to overfeed your cats!  :-[

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 17:10:10 PM »
If i fed my lot the amounts reccommended on the cans they would all be obese!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »
oh ps both of you 2..i always think the feeding guides are abit much imo, so if your babes are eating slightly less than the R.F.G i wouldnt worry about that overly.  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
sarah there are a few different types of dried that are fairly good .  if charlie doesnt like jwb, i thought the royal canin kitten was good as the kibbles are tiny and i thought perfect for little mouths..cody has never been a big fan of rc though (adult type) and he wasnt overly impressed by jwb but he does absolutely adore his hills dried and prefered the adult type to the kitten type. People have varying opinions on food for lots of reasons so you are best thinking of what you consider to be important and looking to see if a particular food fits the bill..for me personally ive always been happy with hills even before cody altho you do have to watch they dont turn into hills junkies  :evillaugh:

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »
sarah perhaps you should get a bag of kitten food and try to feed him it separetly from the others, they tend to be smaller kibble and have higher kcals and proteins etc so therefore they can consume less to still get the same amount.

Yeh I was thinking of that Lynn, can you recommend any kitten dry food?
He's defo growing haaha, I just really want him to take some dry as well.

I'm glad you asked this as I was worrying about whether the boys (I love saying that!) were eating enough.  They are still on Whiskas kitten which was what they had at their foster Mum's and it says 2 - 3 pouches per day, I always give them 1/2 a pouch per meal and they have been having 4 meals evenly spaced.  That's within the Whiskas feeding guidelines, I was just wondering how much other people's young kittens ate.  I've started mixing NM in this morning, so hopefully they will be on NM completely by next week.  Will then introduce James Wellbeloved dry aswell.

I think maybe next week when you give them the dry you'll feel a bit better Helen, that's really filling for them. I feel like the pouches don't seem enough sometimes.

"The Boys" sounds great btw!  ;D

xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
On the Natures Menu box it says a kitten up to 3kg needs 1 - 2 pouches per day.  If Charlie is eating his fair share (ie 1/3) of the pouches you give them then he will have 1 1/3 pouches plus the milk which is classed as a food anyway so that's within the feeding guidelines of NM.

I'm glad you asked this as I was worrying about whether the boys (I love saying that!) were eating enough.  They are still on Whiskas kitten which was what they had at their foster Mum's and it says 2 - 3 pouches per day, I always give them 1/2 a pouch per meal each and they have been having 4 meals evenly spaced.  That's within the Whiskas feeding guidelines, I was just wondering how much other people's young kittens ate.  I've started mixing NM in this morning, so hopefully they will be on NM completely by next week.  Will then introduce James Wellbeloved dry aswell.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:19:55 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »
sarah perhaps you should get a bag of kitten food and try to feed him it separetly from the others, they tend to be smaller kibble and have higher kcals and proteins etc so therefore they can consume less to still get the same amount.

perhaps charlie is going to be a grazer though, cody is the same he only ever eats a few wee mouth fulls at a time but i MUST have dried food out to him 24/7 as he often goes every hour or so for a couple of kibbles.  He has never ever eaten a dish of food in one sitting.

also he may be submissive to the older ones and therefore doesnt get stuck into his grub so much.

having said all that in his pics you can see he looks healthy and is growing so i reckon he's ok.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
Charlies Eating Habits
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »
I was just wondering, Charlie isn't really a big fan of dry food (wellbeloved) And I feel like he's not eating enough.

I give the three of my kittys :

- 7:30am - 2 pouches of n/m or hi-life between them

- 12:30pm - a handful of dry food each

- 6:00pm - 2 pouches of n/m or hi-life between them again

- 10:30pm - some dry food left out overnight

They get treats throughout the day and last week I got a free sample of whiskas milk, I put it down and Tilly and Tom didn't bother with it, but Charlie LOVES it  :rofl:

So when I put down their dry food, Tom and Tilly run up and eat it but Charlie doesn't bother, if I take some in my hand and put it beside him he'll have a nibble but not much  :scared:
I've been giving him a serving of milk daily now bc he likes it so much, the milk must be filling him up too though?

Because he's younger he should still be eating a little bit more than Tilly and Tom, so any ideas wha I could try? I've been thinking about giving him extra wet food but I would like him to have dry in his diet too.

Thankyou xxx :)

Link to CatChat