Author Topic: two cats two problems - advice needed!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: two cats two problems - advice needed!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 21:02:07 PM »
My vet steers away from testing blood unless he feels there is an unidentifiable cause for the problem. He shuns unnecessary treatment for which I am eternally grateful.

I always quiz my vet as to why he's doing the tests he proposes (some can be less than ethical in their methods >:( ) so as to be better informed if I understand what he's thinking, and know what to look out for myself.

Offline Tiptoes

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Baggins
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 20:01:38 PM »
Ooh ok thanks for tray advice...will see what we can sort out. The charity will reimburse for vets fees, but I will check prices with her before going ahead with anything.
Their symptoms seem to have disappeared today and last night, which is good, but am still puzzled and will see what vet advises...probably will involve blood tests!
Thanks for all your tips guys  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 17:17:18 PM »
Definately agree on having  at least one extra tray............general rule is one tray per cat plus one until it becomes clear which they like.

Sounds like investigations at the vet may onvolve tests and could get expensive..........as the fosterer, who pays for treatment and do you have to use a set vet?

I hope they both settle and there are no long term medical problems with either  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »
Only your vet can say for sure, but you might want to prepare for taking stool samples. You'll need to identifty who has the runny poo first though.

As for the lip smacking, this is a classic sign that the cat is about to vomit or is feeling sick. There may be a hairball issue that is causing the problems, or a bowel blockage that is causing the bright blood.

The vet will palpate their tummies and may be able to feel what is causing the problem, until then, try to determine which cat has which symptoms. Can you find another tray and isolate one of the boys in a separate room when it's toilet time?

Offline Tiptoes

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Baggins
two cats two problems - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Hi, I am fostering two cats and am planning to taker them to the vets to register and for a check over after weekend, but I am not sure when an appointment will be free until I speak to them monday and would dearly appreciate some adivice on our two foster cats!
One is 12 the other 7, both boys, inside cats at moment. Share a litter tray, which we remove poop from as it appears and change regularly. We feed them mostly wet food and fresh water always available.

The problem is one of them has spates of being sick (the younger one) drinks more than the other and I think urinates most often. We don't have his full med history, but he has some type of bladder issue we're told.

The other is just really restless often and seems over the last few days to not want his food when we put it down. Also at times he's been making yacking/lip smacking motions with his mouth as if uncomfortable or has eaten something unpleasant.

One of them has very solid poops and the other very mushy but we haven't been able to determine which one is which yet, but worried as the mushy one had a bit of bright red blood in the other day....

I know I should check their teeth but they are very timid at the moment still and quite difficult to get hold of  for long, reluctant to distress them too much as they have not been with us long (about 3 weeks) and are not quite trusting us yet!

Any thoughts advice....?

All comments welcome...

Many thanks
Tiptoes  :)

Link to CatChat