Author Topic: Looking for a (very) needy cat or pair of cats in Yorkshire- Blind/deaf/elderly/3 legs all welcomed!  (Read 12859 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
It is. I looked earlier.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I think that is sorted now JS
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Natalie, are you in a position to take a cat yet? I read about an urgent London way - 15 year old blind cat at threat of PTS. Let me know.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
It's great news for them  :)

Best of luck and keep us updated !

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hi all,

Heather e-mailed me directly letting me know about Arthur and Martha finding their forever home- I am so pleased for them  ;D I know Denise will have found them a lovely home! (I did have a little moment for myself and totally selfish reasons ha ha!!)

I did expect them to be snapped up really quickly- Who could resist them!!

Heather has e-mailed me details of 4 long-timers that were all adorable, so I'm really hoping we will be able to adopt two of them- which does bring the horrible choice in about having to pick two....!!

Thanks to everyone, especially Denise who have found Arthur and Martha a loving home, we are so lucky to have people like you around.

ps- I'm so glad you kept their names- I think it really suited them, and I feel I'll always be a little bit involved with them now  ;D

xxx

Offline Deekitty

• Kitten
Thank you, yes it is a shame for Natalie but we do have another pair in the branch that may be lucky if Natalie is still interested.  I think Heather has emailed her directly about them.

This makes it all so worthwhile when there's a happy ending to something that could have been so horrific.
 :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
That's fab news for Arthur & Martha, and so quickly too! It could have all been so different for them if you hadn't stepped in  :gold stars:  :hug:

Such a shame for Natalie but it sounds like she has a fab home to offer so there will be another very lucky cat or pair of cats when the time is right for the new addition  :)

Offline Deekitty

• Kitten
Hi everyone just to give you an update that Arthur and Martha have found a home a couple of miles from me to a lovely family who have fallen in love with them from the website.  They will be spoiled rotten and have a lovely big house to run around in.  The important thing is that they haven't had to travel far and they are together and I wish them all the happiness in the world.  I gave them both a hug and a kiss before they left and whispered for them to enjoy life with a proper family that will give them nothing but love.

I'm sorry that Natalie wasn't able to have them after all but I'm sure that she would want a home for them sooner rather than later and this is better than them being in a pen.

Thank you all for your kind words and concern for these oldies.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Hello Denise, and you are so very  :welcome: to Purrs. You sound like a lovely lady too. Well done for helping out with these two babies :)

Seconded, Arthur & Martha are very lucky indeed  :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Hello Denise, and you are so very  :welcome: to Purrs. You sound like a lovely lady too. Well done for helping out with these two babies :)

Offline Deekitty

• Kitten
Hi Natalie and friends at last we speak!  or should that be read??   I'm Denise Arthur and Martha's temporary foster mum.  They are doing very well and enjoying lots of cuddles, Arthur is the fussier one out of the two and once you start stroking him he rolls over on his back with his legs in the air waiting for tummy rubs....he also loves to kiss your face...he gets up real close and just keeps kissing your nose...aaaaww bless him.

Martha is more shy but doesn't like to miss out on a fuss either, she has a lovely purr and keeps jumping all over Arthur while he's having a tummy rub ...pushing her head into your hands which means she's burying her face in his tummy it looks really funny and makes me laugh out loud when she does it.  I've tried videoing them lots of times but they're sooo fussy they just keep knocking the camera out of my hands with their heads so you end up seeing more of the wall than you do the cats lol!

As Heather has mentioned I did want a break from fostering due to health problems and basically being worn out by never ending kitties needing homes, however as you know I couldn't rest after seeing these 2 especially when they were separated as well poor things.    I am quite prepared to foster them now until they go to their forever home, they are in a pen which is a converted summerhouse with 24hr heating, lighting and radio one playing for them...  they prefer Chris Moyles in the mornings most of all lol!

If you are still smitten and we don't get anyone come forward more local in the meantime then I am happy to keep them until you are moved and settled into your new home.  This would be much less stressful for all of you and something less for you to worry about it that helps. Anyway have a think about it no pressure, you sound a lovely person and I would be pleased for them to find a nice family to give them the love they deserve.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Most of my oldies have had no teeth, they've preferred wet but their gums do harden so they can still have biscuits.  They'll be tons better for their dentals  :)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
one of my cats years ago had all her teeth out, she adapted really well and used to crunch biscuits on her gums :wow:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Poor little things, I bet they'll feel so much better with their teeth out though  :)

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hi all!

I have just seen on Cat Chat that poor Arthur has had to have all his teeth out, and Martha had to have 5 removed.  :( poor things. Bless them, It makes me so sad to think of how they got in this state :( wishing them a really quick recovery.

However.... as someone who has to sleep in retainers every night (after having my teeth fixed), they would fit very well into our household if they have some dental 'issues' he he  :shy:

xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
They look adorable  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
I would be so happy if the timings worked out and these two came to live with you, from your description of the home you have to offer they will be in heaven :wish:

Here's the photo's Denise has posted of them  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
They are in fact if I didn't have my two I'd definitely be tempted.  I was saying to hubby the other day there's nothing nicer than adopting two cats together it's only happened once for us so far but it was the loveliest thing to do and you don't have the stress of them adapting to your own cats if they are the only two.  All the best for you and them  :hug:

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hi Janey,

I've just seen the photos, they are so lovely, I am well and truly smitten! I am so hoping that our move goes through quickly so that we can adopt them! However if they are given a forever home before we move then that’s win win for them! (I will be sad though!). xxx

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
There are some photos of them on CC, they are just gorgeous!  :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Ooooooh this sounds promising .... keeping everything crossed for a good outcome for all concerned  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Hi Natalie

There has been an update from the lady trying to save these two, it looks like they are out of immediate danger as a temporary foster home has been found but they will still be looking for a permanent home...

I think the PM function is disabled until you have a few posts under your belt, to prevent spammers, I will PM you the email address of the lady who is helping get them into temporary foster care  :)

I have an update and am pleased to say that these two cats are now out of immediate danger :-)

Denise who went to see them for us last night is going to offer them a temporary foster home...she desperately wanted and needed a break from fostering but seeing them has pulled at her heartstrings and she is going to pick them up for us tonight and look after them until we can find them a new home....so we are still desperate to find them a new home as Denise is terribly worn out and can only do this on a temporary basis...

However, now that they are in the care of the branch we can assess them properly, get them health checked and will be paying for them both to have a full and thorugh dental which apparently they both need....and so they now will both have full rescue back up :-)

Tiggy78 - with regard to Natalie, would you be able to let her know that they are now out of immediate danger so not to worry about trying to sort something out before they move, as I think its better now that they stay with us until such a time that they could go to a permenant home, just in case something fell through with their house move, I would hate to see this pair in a difficult situation again. However....when they get moved, it is likely that we may still have them so if she wants to stay in contact with me directly to check on their progress then once they are settled if they are still interested in them we would definitely be keen to sort something out with her. My email address is heather.cain@hotmail.co.uk

On another worrying note though, when Denise was at the cattery, they had two other cats there that they said had been there for months....no one had ever collected them and they had tried to contact the owners with no response. They appear to have done nothing about trying to rehome these poor animals so when we find out more we may well end up running a further appeal to help these poor pair too.....it really is never ending....but I can't bear that these two have just been sat in a cattery pen for that length of time with no one trying to do anything for them. It saddens me greatly :-(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 17:43:37 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hello,

more of an update... my Mum has put some more feelers out..... Myself and my partner are in the Midlands next weekend (3rd) would the cats be OK until then if we were able to find a home? We could pick them up and drop off.

It's actually looking likely from Mum that she will be able to find something either short term (until we moved) or potentially forever.  :Luv2:

I can't seem able to PM you, so if you send me a message with your details, or the lady who is dealing with them then hopefully we'll be able to help :) xx

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Oh they sound adorable, and given what they've been through to come out still fighting for attention shows what lovely cats they must be.

So far I have 2 possible options, not ideal options but options none the less. As a last resort my Dad said he would look after them until we are sorted however this would be far from ideal as he has 2 (large) dogs so the cats would have to be kept very separate possibly with day time being outside in a barn (next to 2 horses). If the cats were hardy and used to being outside this would be an idyllic life as they live in the middle of nowhere- no traffic etc, if it were summertime I would fee like this could be a good option however given the time of year I am not sure if you feel it wouldn't be fair?

The 2nd option is another farm, but would be able to spend more time inside. I am pleading with my Cousin who owns the farm, and farm shop and have offered to pay and buy everything they need until we could home them.

I am also not sure if you would be happy for them to live somewhere and then be moved in a few months, so I may be asking about things that aren't wanted!

I have also asked everyone to put the feelers out to ask if someone is looking for 2 cats. Both my parents live in the countryside so I am really hoping someone will want them. I so so wish we were already moved in.  :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
That's a shame about your landlord Natalie, would be amazing if your Mum were able to help :wish:

Here's what the lady who posted about them had to say after visiting them yesterday evening, not only are they desperate for a home but they sound adorable too  :Luv2:

I went along to the cattery today but unfortunately I couldn't take photos as there was no lighting in the area where they were living so the picture just went black each time I tried to take it.

I can tell you though that these 2 are adorable...not what I was expecting at all. They are a tabby/white short haired boy and a tabby fluffier girl not long haired but it was dark so will check out when I can see them in the light. Both of them were all over me for affection and very sprightly and quite small for their age.

They both need dental treatment which will be done next Tuesday all being well.

We can't let this poor brother and sister be pts it's just not fair after the life they've led up to now, after everything they've been through they are still crying out for affectionate and are so trusting of people. I'm sure they will make someone a lovely addition to a family and it would be so nice for them to stay together. They look younger than 10 but the vet says 10 due to the condition of their teeth so we will have to agree with them.

I will fill you in on more details and pics as soon as I get them.

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hi all,
Thank you so much for all of your replies, for some reason notofications were going into my junk e-mail, sorry for the late response.

Tiggy's Mum, those cats sound in desperate need. I would gladly take them however until we have moved we are in a bit of a sticky situation with regards our landlord.... if I could guarantee we would be moving in a matter of weeks i'd risk it but we are just not quite at this stage yet. I have called my Mum who wasn't in and left her a message to see if she would be able to keep them for 2 months until we were sorted and if this is a possibility then I would say yes. The only hesitation I feel she may have is the fact she has a blind cat (also rescued) and it would be whether she deems this fair on her.

I will ask all realistic possibilities re a short term fostering situation and if anything comes to light I will get in contact straight away. I will also PM you my e-mail should you want to get in contact directly x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Hi Natalie

Have just seen this on our sister site and was wondering whether you might be interested in speaking to the lady who posted about them?
Urgent risk of pts -Two oldies in need of a new home/foster home

At the moment I have very little information about this poor pair but hope to get more by the weekend.

Sedgley Community Services (Nr Wolverhampton in the West Midlands) removed these 2 elderly cats(we beleive to be somewhere in the region of 10yrs) from a home as they felt they were suffering abuse/neglect. They put them into a cattery expecting it only to be for a few days as they thought they would be able to get them moved fairly swiftly into a rescue centre.

Although not officially in our area we would help if we could but having two of our regular foster homes temporarily out of action unfortunately we have no space :-(.

They have rung round all the other local rescues and have found the same situation. We are keeping in touch with community services in case we do have a foster home come free but yesterday were told that they will only pay for the cattery until next tuesday and if nowhere can be found for them by then then they will be pts.

We obviously can't let this happen! Those poor cats have been removed from what sounds like an awful home and its just not right that they're not give the chance to find a lovely new home and to be cared for and loved.... but at the moment I have no alternatives to suggest other than putting my hand in my pocket to pay for the cattery for longer, which I am prepared to do for a few days, but of course could not do for any real length of time at £10.50 a night :-(

I'm sure everyone is in the same boat but if there are any rescues with space to take two oldies then please could you inbox me and I can pass on the details of the lady at the community services who is deperately trying to find a space for these 2 poor cats before time runs out.

At them moment I don't even know what sex they are or anything more about them - although one of our fosterers is hoping to be able to get to the cattery at the weekend to take photos and check out their temprament etc, and find out more. We don't beleive they have ever been allowed to go out.

I know its a BIG ask to ask any rescue to take on 2 oldies with no knowledge of past history or medical records. I am hoping and praying we have a space come free so that we can take them into our care but in the absence of that happening I can't sit by and watch this poor pair be pts for no reason so need a back up plan! If anyone can help I'd be really grateful to hear from you x

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Welcome :)
Have you visited the Mount Street RSPCA home in Bradford. There are loads of lovely kitties needing homes there and some have been overlooked for a year. You may find one to love there
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.289470381092447.67366.125488997490587&type=3
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
FIV cats could go on that list too. ;) Hi Natalie. :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
 :welcome: to Purrs Natalie  :)

Your wishlist sounds like a cat rescue's dream come true! Hope you find the cat/s that are right for you soon enough  :)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Hi Natalie and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Pleased to have you on board
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Hi Natalie and  :welcome:

You sound like me when I first joined Purrs - wanting to adopt a pair of harder to home cats! We ended up adopting two older (10 year old) sisters and we love them to bits!

It's a lovely idea and I'm sure you'll find plenty of oldies and/or needies that are desperate for a loving home. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I am sure there are loads out there needing homes, just a matter of finding them  ;D ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Natalie and  :welcome: to Purrs!

What a lovely thing to do and 2 is a great idea often harder to home more than one oat once.   I myself only adopt, old, poorly, needy, harder to home cats so I'm with you on this.

Have you contacted rescues in the Yorkshire area? I could put a link for you to the specific area but there's E, N, S & W Yorks so probably best clicking your specific region on the map here:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

Also here is a link specifically to 'overlooked cats' or Top Cats as they are called on Cat Chat:

http://www.catchat.org/topcats/index.php

Best of luck finding your 2 new furry felines  :Luv:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 17:44:01 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
i have Mog here, but Yorkshire might be too far away for a home visit and we do hace a CH pair of kittens but they will need to be kept as indoor only.
We do worry about going too far from home with our cats as it has caused problems in the past when a cat has had to come back.

Offline Natalie

• Kitten
Hello All,

I am new to this site- So hello! Myself and my partner are very keen to adopt a car or a pair of cats. We feel that kittens are generally adopted very easily and are keen to adopt ones who are less likely to be snapped up. We are both out at work during the day and have no children or other pets. We currently live in a flat in the city centre but are about to move to the country in 2 months, and will have outdoor space. For obvious reasons there is no immediate rush, but if a cat needed to be indoors for a while (possibly during rehabilitation stage) we could consider it prior to moving.

I have owned many waifs and strays in my time and understand the time and effort buliding a bond can take, but also know the many rewards!

If anybody hears of a cat/cats that are looking for this type of home I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Natalie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 17:14:30 PM by Natalie »

Link to CatChat