Author Topic: Grooming problem  (Read 2587 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Grooming problem
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 14:43:50 PM »
Yes, lovely to see him happier!  :) 

Thanks to you all for the help and hugs. xxxx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 23:38:29 PM »
Thats great and hope he will be better very soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 20:49:30 PM »
So glad hisd problem seems to be sorted and he can play again  A sure sign he is feeling better   :)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 18:54:14 PM »
He was blocked and rather sore.  Poor little one.  He's been unblocked, had a clean up, fur trim and antibiotic injection.  Just had a good play with Da Mouse and settled down to sleep now.  :) :Luv:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 13:36:33 PM »
Its quite painless. quick but smelly ...............hope it goes OK and solves the problem  :hug: :hug:

Thanks so much. xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 13:32:39 PM »
Its quite painless. quick but smelly ...............hope it goes OK and solves the problem  :hug: :hug:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 13:29:48 PM »
Could be he needs the anal glands emptying and a trip to the vets will solve the problem

Thanks for mentioning this.  I've been reading about it and concerned this could be the problem.  He has an appointment this afternoon, so fingers crossed for getting him there.  Hope the poor little boy doesn't have to suffer too much either. :scared:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 13:39:49 PM »
Have just discovered the secret power of Dreamies as far as distraction goes  :innocent:  Groucho hates, really gets very upset by, me grooming him.  He is however being a little dreamboat, purring even, if I bribe him with Dreamies. 

Possibly may work for wiping mucky bum too?  Any idea why his bum is mucky if his tum is OK?  :shy:

Thanks.  Might work, he loves his treats but I'm reluctant to make him angrier.  Can be a feisty feline!  :tired:  He did have an upset tum but has improved apart from still being mucky.  He's been a bit stressed since New years eve tbh.  Noisy neighbours shouting and even an awful cat fight close by a few nights ago.  I'm giving him Zylkene at the moment.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Grooming problem
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »
Have just discovered the secret power of Dreamies as far as distraction goes  :innocent:  Groucho hates, really gets very upset by, me grooming him.  He is however being a little dreamboat, purring even, if I bribe him with Dreamies. 

Possibly may work for wiping mucky bum too?  Any idea why his bum is mucky if his tum is OK?  :shy:

Good thinking Rosella, Riley refuses to have his claws clipped without thrashing around and squealing like I'm murdering him (despite being the soppiest, cuddliest cat I have ever known) but I now pour a large pile of dreamies down and I can do all four feet while he's standing up without him even noticing :naughty:

The same tactic could easily be employed for wiping over the mucky bummed cat in question :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 22:28:37 PM »

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 21:23:30 PM »
I agree with Gill  See if the vet can help

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 20:06:32 PM »
Could be he needs the anal glands emptying and a trip to the vets will solve the problem

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 18:54:08 PM »
I think it's just because he's mucky.  His tum seems ok.  Will have another go soon with the wipes I think.  :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 17:05:58 PM »
Do you think he's only overgrooming because his bum is mucky or did he start that before the tummy troubles? Also do you know what's causing his tummy troubles?

I find when one of my boys have tummy issues a few pouches of Royal Canin sensitivity seem to get them back on track. If I do need to clean them up a bit I find being very firm with the aim of doing it as quick as possible works best (Riley HATES it and squeals while I'm wiping him  :( ) rather than chasing them round doing little bits each time.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Grooming problem
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 16:51:12 PM »
One of the cats has a mucky bum and seems to be overgrooming, so I think he's getting upset by it.  If we try and wipe his bum with a tissue or ( unperfumed ) baby wipe he just gets upset and angry with us.  Any ideas how to help him?

Link to CatChat