Author Topic: More intro advice.........  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: More intro advice.........
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »
they look pretty happy to me!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 22:52:18 PM »
Great picture  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 22:25:48 PM »
A little pic from this evening......

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
sounds great, in my house da bird causes the trouble!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Wonderful  ;D ;D

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
Well I've just doe another intro session with really good results :)

I played with Meg with the Da Bird and then took it away and left them to it. We had chasing, wrestling, more chasing and wrestling but no hissing or any signs that Jas wasn't happy!!!!!

I think they were actually properly playing!!!!!

I let them have about 10 mins before stopping them to feed them and left it at that but I can't tell you how happy I am - it just felt so positive to see them both enjoying themselves :)

I'm sure there's more work to go and more swipes and hissing on it's way as Meg learns that Jas is the boss but it just feels like at least I'm seeing signs that they may get along :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 22:15:21 PM »
Sounds like there is some jealousy and that you will have to limit things until things start to look like blowin, then seperate.

Hopefully it will eventually stop and Jas is defending her space and trying to show who is boss. The kitten will understand eventually........I hope

This is like Lupin and he doesnt understand when someone hisses at him

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 21:58:14 PM »
Thanks Gill- well tonight we let Meg out of the crate and I played with her with 'Da Bird' and Jas sat there watching and that was all fine for about half an hour :)

As soon as I put the toy down Meg leapt on Jas and they wrestled and then chased about and then Meg leapt back on her and they wrestled and Jas really hissed at Meg and I had to separate them :( Meg doesn't seem to get the hint at all when she's hissed at but I didn't feel like I could let the wrestling match go on with Jas hissing as I couldn't really tell if it was becoming a fight in Jas' eyes :( I fed them some treats next to each other straight afterwards and Meg tried to steal the treat I was giving to Jas so got hissed at yet again!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
I think it sounds very good and they are probably alright to be together as long as supervised and can be seperated if things get out of hand.

Rolling on the back is a sign of submission and saying its OK I am a friend and not going to hurt you, so as long as the other cat doesnt then pounce on the submissive cat, thats good.

Batting and chasing is fine as no claws involved.

2 yrs old and chasing is great and kittens are also very active, if 16 month old Lupin is anything to go by............he is a lunatic lol

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
More intro advice.........
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Well Meg kitten has been here for 4 weeks now and we've been taking the intros with Jas (our 2 year old girl) really slowly as she can be a bit of a bossy madam :)

We've done all the swapping of smells and use a dog crate in the lounge a couple of times a day and put one of them in so they can get use to each other slowly :) They wrestle each other through the bars and Jas bats Meg on the head a fair bit. She does also nip Meg's paws but she also licks them too (which I hoped was a good sign?)

They've met a few times out of the crate but Meg just wants to play and dive bomb/wrestle Jas. They tend to chase around and Meg is 100% playing but I'm not too sure about Jas! A few times when Meg has jumped on her Jas has hissed and batted her off (but Meg doesn't seem to take the hint!). I feed them together (but Jas won't eat but watches Meg intently) although they will take treats together.

Today I let Meg out of the crate for a good 5 minutes and they both chased around the lounge, Meg chasing Jas then Jas chasing Meg. Jas rolled on her back and they had a mini wrestle for a few seconds, then more chasing but there was no hissing at all.

Basically it just all feels a bit out of control and crazy when they meet and I've no idea really if things are going well or not!!

My other half keeps saying we should just let them get on with it now but I still feel like we need to keep things carefully under control as they're both so manic!!

I know on the FAB site it says that you shouldn't be letting them chase during intros but they're both really lively girls and I think my gut says that Meg is 100% playing and I do think Jas is but I think she's still a bit unsure of the newcomer and she still might get a bit hissy if Meg doesn't leave her alone.

Overall I think I'm quite happy with how things are going but any advice would be muchly appreciated.

The other thing is that Jas will go in the kitten room when Meg is shut in the lounge with me - she eats her food, uses her litter tray and sleeps in her bed when she gets the chance so I think that might be a good sign too?

Link to CatChat