Author Topic: Urgent info required please.  (Read 2680 times)

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
Re: Urgent info required please.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 20:10:07 PM »
Just read your other thread...
How long has Ping been not himself? Since he had the booster vaccine? Sorry if I've missed you saying how long, but just wondering.
If they're doing a general health blood profile, that should show up any of the usual older cat problems (liver/kidneys etc), but a starved blood test sounds like they're testing for other things, as pre-anaesthetic and general health profile bloods don't require starvation.
Let us know what the blood results are (unless they're sending them off to the lab)
Hope Ping picks up...
Liz x
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 16:41:54 PM »
Hiya,

Normally water stays down until 6am on the morning of ops/bloods/procedures. What bloods tests is he having?

Liz

I am not sure. He hasn't been himself for a couple of weeks now (see my other thread about 17 half year old Siamese).

He had a flu booster at the end of November and at the time they said he was really good for his age now all of a sudden he seems to have had the wind taken out of his sails. :'(

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 16:38:40 PM »
Hiya,

Normally water stays down until 6am on the morning of ops/bloods/procedures. What bloods tests is he having?

Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 16:17:33 PM »
I have just phoned the vet emergency out of hours and she said he could have water all the time. He doesn't drink a great deal but at least I don't have to make him drink before 6pm.

Thanks all :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 16:14:04 PM »
Water should be left down as the cat can become dehydrated, we always leave food till 9pm and then remove and have had no issues only exception to this has been our 2 diabetics and Mr Hyperthyroid Max

They like the cat to be "starved" overnight should they find something and then cat cat be knocked out if required to solve the problem

Good luck for tomorrow :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 16:09:59 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm, I dont see how having water will afect anything but I am not a vet.

Havent heard of food affecting blood before unless they are testing for diabetes, again I not a vet! Suspect with cats they dont test like that.

Maybe somebody else can put some real info in hear but best idea is to ring em

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 16:01:00 PM »
Another thing..............Siamese are very sensitive to all things like this according to my vets.

He has had bloods taken before and according to the staff is well behaved.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 16:00:51 PM »
I remember being told that food to be removed after X time and water to be removed later after Y time. I would definitely give them a ring (there should be an answerphone out of hours at the very least) as you don't want to make him dehydrated as that can skew blood results  :hug:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 15:59:57 PM »
Check with them again cos usually water can be had longer than food especially as he is an older cat.

1800 seems to also be rather early if he is not going in until 1100 and it could be some time after that he is done.

I take it he is having to be sedated? Is there a real reason for this like he is a fighter or very scared?

Older cats really need to be on a drip.

They are closed for the weekend. No I don't think he has to be sedated I think it may be to get a 'food free' result (a bit like humans having their cholesterol level done)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 15:59:13 PM »
Another thing..............Siamese are very sensitive to all things like this according to my vets.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 15:56:58 PM »
Check with them again cos usually water can be had longer than food especially as he is an older cat.

1800 seems to also be rather early if he is not going in until 1100 and it could be some time after that he is done.

I take it he is having to be sedated? Is there a real reason for this like he is a fighter or very scared?

Older cats really need to be on a drip.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
Urgent info required please.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 15:52:39 PM »
Ping is having bloods taken at 11am tomorrow they have said Nil By Mouth after 6pm tonight this seems a long time to go without water any ideas?

Link to CatChat