Author Topic: Advice on introducing new kitten Scampi with older cat Willow please.  (Read 2249 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Advice on introducing new kitten Scampi with older cat Willow please.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 20:14:37 PM »
Thank you Gill x

I know, I was actually quite lucky to capture this (what with there being no camera phones or even mobile phones full stop!...how did we survive back then?? haha)

Sadly, the snuggles stopped once Nuggie was too big but they slept next to each other occasionally. Tazi took his role as "Dad" seriously and taught him the house rules and he did look out for him. It was lovely to see! But it shows thats, patience pays off (eventually! lol)  :wow: xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
A wonderful picture to have in remembrance  :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 23:44:12 PM »
Hello!

My first cat Tazi was an alone cat for 4 years, until I introduced Nuggie a 5 week old "Alien". Tazi was neither impressed nor happy with this and he wasnt scared to show it.
Tazi didnt enter the living room for 2 weeks, the 3rd week was spent at the living room door spitting. He beat Nuggie up and I never left them alone after that until Nuggie was a little older.
I feared Tazi would never accept little Nuggie, it really wasnt looking good until one day I walked in and found them like these photo's!!
It just took time, our patience, a cheeky kittens persistance, a pecking order understanding and the results are often good! Nuggie is 9years old now, Tazi sadly passed, but Nuggie still went for grooming right up until Tazi passed. Tazi often batted him on the head as if to say "grow up boyy!" but patience is the key and the older Cats will put the kittens in their place with a good telling off and then take care of them. It worked for me anyway!!
xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
These links may offer some good tips........

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4789.0.html

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/introducing/info.html

:welcome: to Purrs David.  Scampi is a beautiful little girl.  Hope Willow settles soon.  You need a bit of patience.  We have 7 cats and each introduction has been different.....  Willow is the one that needs lots of attention though.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:37:27 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »
Needs to keep both cats seperate and not meeting yet.

Give the older cat lots of love and makes sure he knows its still his home. Spend time seperately with the kitten getting to know him and exchange scents by moving bedding from one to the other.

Stroke one and cuddle then the other, anything to exchange scents for a start.

The message is slowly very slowly.

How old is the older cat and how long has he lived there and how old is the kitten?

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
Advice on introducing new kitten Scampi with older cat Willow please.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 22:18:41 PM »
A chum on Britmodeller has re-homed this little purr ball called Scampi;

She was rescued by a lady from a farmer who was going to drown the two kittens after her mum had died giving birth & David kindly gave Scampi her forever home.

Anyway he's having a bit of bother with his older cat Willow;

the only worry for me is Willow, my older cats reaction towards her. Whenever she is around he growls and spits at her, even at us and is despertate to leave the house. The last two days he has not eaten much and just slept in his radiator bed, not even wanting to go out at all. Normally he eats then wants to go out for the day. I expect he will get better in time but I dont want him to feel pushed out by her, even bought a Feliway Diffuser which relaeses a pheromone to make him feel safe and secure.

Would be good to hear of anyones experiences when introducing new cats into the home?

David

I've passed him the link to this thread so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Merv

center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Link to CatChat