Author Topic: ELLE GOOD NEWS UPDATE AND ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 3585 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: ELLE GOOD NEWS UPDATE AND ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
sp i really did wish i lived closer to come and give you a hand or just a  :hug:

what do you think has happened or is wrong with gizmo ?  had he been out long and was he fine before hand ?  I do hope he will be ok and has just been in a fight with another cat or something.

I also hope the girls are ok and maybe elle is still in a wee bit of pain ?

Let us know what happens after the vets app though and i know how tuff it is when everything goes wrong and the hubby is away abroad, been there enough times myself and its a nightmare in itself.  I hope he's able to contact you on a regular basis as that does help abit.

I dont have to say i am continually thinking of your nephew and i hope the hospice setting may be a little more relaxed and comfortable for your brother and sil for them to be with their baby.  I have heard some wonderful things about kids hospices so i hope they also have a nice one that knows how to look after them too. 

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »
Hi Lynn and all

I'm sorry if it ever seems I'm being rude not having time to reply but life is soooooooooooooo hectic at the moment

R=Elle and Daisy are going again today for a vet check Daisy seems fine but has a red patch on her stitches that I'm not too happy about and Elle's a  little too quiet today........they say things come in three's well Gizmo came in at 4am and got INTO my bed...he hasn't done that for ages so me being me turned the light on to check him to find his third eye was over completely, he isn't interested in food and has a very messy bottom so he is coming to the vet as well  temp seems fine 100.2 but he s very very lethargic and floppy. They cant see us until 4pm unless a lo-cum and I dint do lo-cums

My youngest daughter is at College today my eldest and husband at work and hubby's away working abroad  :'( :'( :'( :'( so its me 3 wailing cats and and hour and half car trip......................

Also just to let you know the baby will be going to the childrens hospice this week to see his little days out. its a very sad time for us all but hopefully soon he will go to rainbow bridge to be looked after by my Mum and be a happy healthy little baby once again  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

xxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
Is elle feeling better today sp ? :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 22:48:15 PM »
Fingers crossed this is the end of it - I too would think you would need more than one drop as an initial dose, but I wont use more than 3 drops, and when mine have been prescribed it, teh vets have said 3 drops for a max of 3 days. I thought I did a lot of vet visits, but you have managed to beat me!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 20:28:04 PM »
I am so pleased that her kidney is 100%, thats great news.

I do hope that the bruising and trauma after the op will pass quickly.........I do not know how bruising in cats works but they are so resilient usually.

Lots of thoughts for little Elle and I hope all of you have a rest and things start to improve  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 20:26:46 PM »
Phew SP i was beggin to get worried there

Sooooo glad things are looking up and hopefully by beginning of week she will be feeing better and not need painkillers so much .

I hope tonight you are going to have a relaxing bath then an early night  ;D

lynn XXXX

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 19:54:45 PM »
Sounds like you deserve an early night hun!
I love the idea of a ramp, thats really sweet.

Did they prescribe just the one drop of Metacam? I know she only hasprobs but one drop isnt gonna help much in her condition! My kitty Simon had teeth out and was on 4 drops for a few days, i have had cats on 8!
Glad the vets special made her feel good  :)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 19:45:32 PM »
HiLynn
well  we went back to the vet as she seemed very subdued and was laying down like she was uncomfortable :( :( , I did try the drop of metacam but it didn't make any difference........ it appears that the thickening she has at the end of the stitches near her back legs are making the stitches tight.she had an anti inflammatory inj as well as pain killer and certainly perked up after an hour.................They said they are going to get me a plaque when I'm gone that reads Helen was here CONSTANTLY" lol  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

She did sleep with me all night as Daddy made her a ramp so I didn't have to lift her, she loved it and it certainly meant we didn't have to lift her on or off the bed.

I think this week has finally caught up on me as I have been to the vets 13 times in total this week and its a 1.5 hour round trip travelling there I'm shattered and am going to go to bed early. well thats the plan to have oodles of cuddles with my bootiful fur babes

Thanks also for the info on metacam etc your a star  :hug: :hug:

xxxxxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
SP how is ellie today hun ?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »
millys mum vetergesic is a opiod based drug (buprenorphine) and like morphine, pethidine, methadone etc its not a drug to take every day forever but in the time scale ellie needs it post op it should be fine.  Smudge i really dont know if vets have the legal permit to give prescrips for controlled drugs ?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:16:28 PM »
I think your vet may have been worried the kidney was NOT working fully and therefore metacam a big no no.  However since her kidney function is 100% be that with 1 or 2 kidneys then she's probably no more at risk from metacam than had she had the 2 kidneys.

Vetergesic is actually a controlled drug and no you wont be able to buy it (you could sell it to druggies if you did lol)

Here i have copied and pasted the following from metacam contra indications.

As a class, cyclo-oxygenase inhibitory NSAIDs may be associated with gastrointestinal and renal toxicity. Sensitivity to drug-associated adverse events varies with the individual patient. Patients at greatest risk for renal toxicity are those that are dehydrated, on concomitant diuretic therapy, or those with existing renal, cardiovascular and/or hepatic dysfunction. Concurrent administration of potentially nephrotoxic drugs should be carefully approached

If you are unhappy about metacam (or any other non steroidal painkillers) there are other painkillers available so always explain your concerns to the vet i am sure they will understand.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
Glad to hear that Elle is sleeping ok!
Maybe now they know that her kidney function is fine its not such a risk, i dont know much about vetergesic but maybe its not a drug you can use for prolonged periods. I would phone the vets and ask them why they have changed their minds about using Metacam and then you wont need to be worrying about it.
Your vet would have to write a prescription for vetergesic and obviously if they want you to change then they wouldnt!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
ELLE GOOD NEWS UPDATE AND ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
Well after having a very uncomfortable night on the floor (me that is) with Elle fast asleep on my chest we have again had to go to the vets this morning as she is uncomfortable and I didn't have anymore injections  :( :( :( :( :( :( she has a build up of fluid on her tummy  and the bruising is the normal amount for such surgery with them having to remove ALl the bits and pieces poor darling

She has had another injection of vetergesic.............the good news is as we were there her kidney function results came through and the one she has in working 100%..I'm so so happy about that as I have pulled my hair out the past couple days thinking I may have to say goodbye to her if her kidney wasn't working very well................

Now comes the confusing part I need some advice on. When the vet found she only had one kidney he said she wouldn't be allowed to have metacam and instead was to have vetagesic. They gave the vetagesic to her today but said she can have metacam from this afternoon. Don't get me wrong I love my vets but the confusion is, if metacam isn't very good for the kidney surely its better to preserve the one she has in good condition and keep her on vetegesic?

Can I buy vetegesic myself and syringes does anyone know I want to preserve her little life and treasure it

I'm going to get my son in-law to take some photo's for me this weekend of my little beauties and hope to post them (if I manage to work out how) lol

Sorry its such a long post but I'm so tired it probably reads gobbledygook

Hope you and your Babbies have a lovely weekend

xx xxxxxx
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:51:15 AM by smudgepickles »

Link to CatChat