Author Topic: Liver Supplements?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Liver Supplements?
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 19:04:01 PM »
Great news  ;D

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Ooh ok - I didnt see this last night! I just gave her some normal semi-skimmed LOL! I also tried to get her to move about it bit more and play with her - although she was not in the slightest bit interested in any of her toys!  :tired:

Although, having said that it still seems to have done the trick, as I came downstairs this morning to a ' special delivery' in the litter tray! Never been so relieved to clean her tray LOL!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 18:41:07 PM »
Needs to be condensed cos its the sugar in it I think that causes it to work........one of my vets told me it was an old fashioned remedy and it worked with Ducha and once he decided he liked it he wanted it every night but I had to put my foot down with a firm hand  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 13:44:23 PM »
I hadnt thought of giving her milk - thanks Gill, I will give that a try tonight if nothings 'happened'!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 13:20:39 PM »
a few days but check with the vet.

a bit of condensed milk mixed with warm water will help, just once a day till she goes..........she will drink it eventually but dont force her.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
Hello,

Just a quick update - the Hepatosyl caps arrived yesterday, and I got the first one down last night no problem at all! :D

I broke the capsule, and put most of the powder (its an odd olive green colour!) into bits of her chicken, and sprinkled some on the top and she ate the lot, no problem - so it cant smell or taste weird! Certainly waaay easier than trying to pill her, so I would reccommed these if anyone else has similar problems.

She actually seems to be putting weight on again now - shes certainly looking far less skinny so we have all our fingers crossed that we are finally getting somewhere. We are going back to the vets early next week for another round of blood tests - I am so hoping for the levels to have gone down by then!

One thing I have noticed though is that she seems a little..erm..constipated?! Shes drinking fine and weeing ok so not dehydrated, but I dont think she tried to poop at all yesterday? I'm guessing its probably likely to be a result of the high meat content diet shes on at the moment, but we are keeping a close eye on her today (hubby is working from home and on poop-watch bless him LOL!  :sick:) to see what she does. How long can a cat go without pooping before its a problem?

x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 23:57:10 PM »
They \are LOL

Good luck with the capsule  ;D

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 21:39:15 PM »
They are a complete law unto themselves when it comes to food are'nt they?!

We are still doing ok with the pouches and poached chicken so far, I'm sure her coat is starting to look better. Although I have noticed her ears seem a little grubbier than normal?

I think we might try the Hepatosyl capsules from the list below, apparently they can be split and mixed in food and are very good for liver problems, so fingers crossed!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:01:38 AM »
So pleased and Lupin prefers normal pouches but now is tummy is sorted again he will get at least 2/3rds these and only 1/3 anything else, except today the monster has been stealing Duchas food grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hope they continued to help cos Lupin was really bad until the vet suggested these and also have a probiotic for him too which are capsules and just half go in his food once a day but only when his tummy turns.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 22:18:21 PM »
Thanks Gill, we've actually just switched her to this from the RC Sensitive, which was not popular!

So far so good too, it took a while to get her interested in the GI pouches, but she's eating a little with her chicken now which is an improvement, plus she's not getting sick so our carpets are breathing a sigh of relief ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 16:31:38 PM »
Sorry - additional note, I'd be particularly interested if anyone has used Samylin before?

Only I just looked these all up, and apparently this one is a powder thats mixed with food - which would be an ideal solution, if it doesnt smell or taste of anything that is LOL! Most of the others still seem to be tablets that have the same 'rules' as the Denamarin.... :doh:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Liver Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 15:59:19 PM »
Hello Everyone

Following on from my previous thread about Schmoo's liver problems, I thought I would ask for some opinions if anyone else has had a cat with liver problems?!

We were advised by the vet to give Schmoo Denamarin tablets, in addition to Destolit. The Destolit is fine to give her as its a 1/4 tablet once a day which we hide in some chicken.

However the Denamarin has arrived - and they are big blue pills that we cant break up, and have to give on an empty tummy (ie no hiding it in food!). We cant get her to take these at all, despite repeated efforts, and we cant force pill her... :/

The vet has given me a list of alternatives we can try, but I was wondering if anyone here might have used any of these, and can recommend one that might be smaller/easier to give?!

Denosyl
Doxion
Hepatosyl
Samylin
Zentonil

We still dont know exactly whats wrong with her though. The IBD tests came back sort of ok - her B12 is fine, but she had a slightly low folate level. Apparently this means absorption in the intestines nearest the tummy is affected, which means they still think its probably 'Triaditis' but no confirmed diagnosis still....

We have taken her off the antibiotics, and shes doing much better - no vomiting, and shes at long last eating a little of the GI food we got from the vets with her chicken. I think the plan is at the moment to carry on as we are and then go back to the vets in a week or so and review her weight/colour etc.

Oh - and if anyone could use some Denamarin, let me know! I have a practically full pack which I dont think I can refund, as we have used a couple  :tired:

Helen

Link to CatChat