Author Topic: How did you come across Purrs and how long did you lurk for?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
Re: How did you come across Purrs and how long did you lurk for?
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 19:05:43 PM »
I was googling for general cat info and kept hitting this site, so started lurking...and then joined.  There's so much great advice on here :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:09 AM »
Cat Chat person here too - Sam emailed me to let me know about Purrs and I think I joined the same day I got the email.  :)
[/color]

That Sam's got a lot to answer for............ thank God  ;)  :hug: :thanks:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
Yup I was also here from the start after CC temporarily closed. 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 20:39:09 PM »
Cat Chat person here too - Sam emailed me to let me know about Purrs and I think I joined the same day I got the email.  :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
Been knocking about ever since - and seem to have aquired three new furry friends through here too.......... :-: :evillaugh:

Just realised we've homed 5 through Purrs connection  :-:  :)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 18:25:57 PM »
I came over form Cat Chat after I lost Oscar , and needed to talk to people who understood that he wasn't 'just a cat'.

Been knocking about ever since - and seem to have aquired three new furry friends through here too.......... :-: :evillaugh:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 13:46:44 PM »
I joined from day one - when CC closed their forum and Tan set up purrs - to keep us occupied ;D

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 20:40:42 PM »
That was lovely to read, so well written.  :)

Nicky

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 20:38:41 PM »
So true Sam  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 20:23:14 PM »
so many memories Gill .... love it  :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 20:19:44 PM »
I came from catchat as well, I posted on there to find out about bengal tummy!

Is that like Delhi Belly?   :-[ :sneakin:

yes!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 19:32:57 PM »
Its taken me a while to find this but we used to have a birthday party and I posted this on our second birthday:

Memories...............the mad panic of the last day of Cat Chats forum, Sam and others emailing lists of names to me so we could try to move with as many members as possible. The heartbreak and tears as we all said goodbye and watched the doors close in CC not knowing what the future would bring.  :'( :'(

It was going to be in Yahoo but Tan had a better idea and Purrs was born.  ;D
I think we started life called something slightly different but cant remember what.

We were up and running and after a couple of days the software need an upgrade.................oh nooooooooo we were down, would we get back up, or up in time for the auction.

What ever we did had to be done fast cos the auction was only two weeks away!
How do you run a bloomin auction here cos it didnt work like the old place....scratching of heads, emails wizzing....ok got it!

We started with 200-250 members all from CC and the auction was a stunning success  ;D ;D Our first lot of money, serious money went to Ron.

Ideas start off as little notes in emails...........was looking for something in my inbox yesterday.........its clogged up with emails between me and Tan, full of ideas, discussions, problems and solutions.......the way forward....how would Purrs work and be seen in the future.....what were we trying to achieve.......they go on and on and round and round  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then how could we make more money for rescues........calendar!!........do we dare.....how couild we do it....would peeps buy it......how much is printing..........ummmmmmmmmmm certain other probs that had Tan and me sweating  :rofl: :rofl: and am sure Tan will remember very clearly but this is on the public forum  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I remember sitting at my keyboard in a panic, shaking and trying to type something that may stop a disaster from happening  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: then Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww it was solved.........sorry this is for me and Tan and we can look back and chuckle now  :shify: :shify:

Yes it sold out and was a great success........................So have to plug this years calendar which needs lots more copies sold

Then this horrifying little email........Tan had been thinking how can we make even more money for rescues.............I was half aching with laughter and half scared and in a panic that we would be over stretching ourselves............A SHOP..........WHAT........NO you cant be serious!! She was serious but noooooooooooooooo not all of that list of stuff, look you must go carefully, start slowly, dont get too much stock in.........................well you know what its like now  :rofl: :rofl:  Da birdy flying out of the door on a regular basis along with a multitude of other stuff  ;D  More money into the rescue fund  ;D

And the time trundled on..........problems......oh no they are fighting again.........panic over that thread.......call up the moddy bods......watch watch watch........saved by the bell......panic....I am on my own help.............relief ...........disaster diverted.............oh no how could they say that.............back on watch......collapse with relief the forum is peaceful again..........I love Purrs  ;D

And time moves on...........happiness they have got a home...........great sadness from a loss..................someone needs help.............oh dear they are abroad......how can we do this......should we do this........a cat needs our help.............will Purrs peeps help................oh my they are so great..............disaster averted..............another tragedy.....more great sadness but so much support...........Purrs peeps are wonderful.......we are here for the people too..........support a person having a hard time.......so much love and caring..........friendships are made.................a bond across the country  and the world because we love cats  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Purrs has grown to much over the last two years, we have ventured into new areas, so much money has been raised, we have had tragedy and great happiness. We are a community bound by love, love of our cats, everyones cats, they are all ours..................and although peeps come and go, new members and old members carry on, keeping the Purrs flag flying high, raising money for the lost and abandoned kitties...........Purrs in our Hearts......thats the message and we all have some  ;D

It came from this thread  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,18856.msg336709.html#msg336709

I am sure you will recognize many of the names.

Purrs current name was my suggestion for the calendar but Tan thought it should be the name of the forum.........I am very honored and also honored that I was involved in getting Purrs going after the nightmare of CC closing their forum.

All of the original 200/250 members did a great job supporting the auction that first year only 2 weeks after we started but see how we have grown and the amount of money that has been given to our rescues is incredible and our newer members follow in the tradition of that first gang that struck out so bravely to start afresh.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 19:14:51 PM »

Is that like Delhi Belly?   :-[ :sneakin:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 18:59:33 PM »

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 18:57:39 PM »
I joined in April of this year, I simply googled for cat forum, and first found a US forum, ehich didn't appeal to me very much. So I went on looking and found Purrs. I loved the name and I find the attitude of the people matches the loving, caring name of the forum.
I didn't lurk, I subscribed in the evening, and posted the very next day.

I am on various Dutch cat forums, too, I have my own cat forum, but I was curious about new cats and their slaves.... It is often the same few people on the Dutch forums.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 13:55:16 PM »
Did you first see Christopher & James on the Paws Inn thread on Purrs Frances?

Yes I did.  I'd decided I wanted two cats - "grown-ups" not kittens - and they just clicked.  :Luv2:

Yeah, yeah - we believe you, thousands wouldn't  ;)  :evillaugh:

Oh believe!  If it isn't written down somewhere, stuff seems to disappear out of my brain.  :-[  :-[

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Was originally on Cat chat following the sad loss of my Jemilla.

I needed someone to talk to who understood what it was like to lose a beloved cat. I had never been through it before and was devastated. Found myself awake at all hours posting on CC and then doing portraits for everyone and helping with subjects I had experience in.  Found a lot of wonderful peeps who are now here.

Came over to purrs when cat chat closed. Joined in 2007.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:25:18 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »
An original from CC, came over to Purrs in early 2007. No lurking for me; my first posts were in regards to FIV kitties  :briggin:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
Angie you don't know what you are missing :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
an original from CC

and i've never lurked anywhere in my life! :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »
I'm another one who migrated from catchat when it closed temporarily.  And I'm still hanging around like an annoying buzzy thing  ;D

I found catchat when I was googling for information about cat trees for the then baby Mosi.  I found a thread on catchat discussing them.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
I googled cat allergies/remedies and one of the links brought me to Purrs. I didn't join immediately but found that over a couple of weeks I kept coming back to read different threads. It was coming up to the year anniversary of losing my beloved Lily and I was feeling very fragile but reading stories from like-minded people about how the loss of their kitties had affected them made me realise I wasn't alone. I'd actually tried to talk to other people I knew about how I was still feeling a year on from losing Lily, how difficult it was, but it seemed that very few really understood. When I read some of the posts on Purrs it made me realise that here was a group of people who knew EXACTLY how I felt which was when I decided to join.

I'm extremely glad I did.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:56 AM »
That's technology for you  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  :P :rofl: :hug:

No chuffin idea what tappy talk is  :evillaugh: :-:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
How did you come across Purrs and how long did you lurk for?
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »
13:12:13 (lucky for some!) was the time you registered, not the time of the first post  *I want to do a winky smiley but am on this bloody tapatalk thing so it doesn't give me the option unless I can rememer the code for the wink which I can't!*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:09:47 AM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 00:32:06 AM »
Yes but Gillian, more importantly, did it have a wonderful funny persian pic?  :Luv2:

I've just been to check and my first ever post at 13.12.13 pm on Nov 16th 2006 isnt there - the first post in General section starts at 14.02.48 pm on Nov 16th 2006 - I've been cut off in my prime lol!  :shocked:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 23:50:24 PM »
Yes but Gillian, more importantly, did it have a wonderful funny persian pic?  :Luv2:

Mary

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 23:41:36 PM »
Just looked it up (cos my memory's not as good as it used to be  :evillaugh: )- my first post, November 16, 2006, 13:12:13 PM

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 23:40:45 PM »
Most of you know my sad story, but for those of you who do not:
4th September 2007 my darling Smudge went missing and I advertised in many places, one of those places was mymoggy.com. Shortly after I received a lovely email from Sam, yes, our very own Fussyfurball.  She said how sorry she was and told me that Purrs might help me as everyone understood and would listen to me.

I'd never been on a forum or even thought about one.  I thought "very nice of her but why would I want to talk to a load of strangers"  A few days went by and I thought of taking a look at this Purrs thingy.  I registered and saw there were lots of sections but didn't look at anything.

Shortly afterwards I went in the general cat part and saw a post that said "when do you stop looking for your cat?"  Well that was it - my answer straight away was NEVER STOP. I chatted to a few peole and then started my own post about my darling Smudge. OH MY GOD - the responses I got from people I did not know where better than listening to my so called family and friends. It was as if everyone had known me and Smudge for ever.  I kept getting closer to finding Smudge and everyone was so excited for me but then 15th April 2008 I received a call to say a cat was dead on the side of the road in the same place I had gone to look the previous night and when I went to look it was him.  I swear to God I did not know so many people could be upset for me and Smudge.

So, although I had no intention of coming on here, I didn't lurk around for long and I am so glad I didn't.

Mary  :hug: :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 23:25:20 PM »
My first very relieved post was November 16, 2006, 22:37:32 PM  :phew: :phew: :phew:  Thought I'd lost me new cyber pals for a short while.  Twill be 5 years soon eh?  How fab  :)

Had signed up to Cat Chat in a terrible state in April 2006 following bad experience of letting Gandolf go.  I was looked after and cared for and could never leave me mates

:grouphug:

Have to say I did a lotta lukin' around Alison's thread before leapin' in as didn't know if I could devote the time :scared: :scared: :scared: ;)  Just checked and seem to have become a regular contributor in Feb 2008 although feels like a lifetime as I feel I know peeps so well  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 23:40:21 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 23:08:26 PM »
It's lovely to hear how people got here  :) Can anyone beat Sheilarose's record of one year of lurk-dom?!

I only saw this forum for the first time listed on tapatalk tonight, but are on other forums on different subjects.

I downloaded the app recently, I was shocked to find that in the 'Aquarium & Animals' tab there was no cat section - dogs, birds & reptiles got their own section but cats got lumped in the 'pets' section  :innocent: Was also shocked to see there were 11,495 forums to choose from and some VERY random ones  :Crazy:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 23:00:01 PM »
I googled cat forum as I needed help with our new rescue kittens habit of suckling each other! (He's grown out of it now)
I really enjoyed it and have stayed since  :hug:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 22:47:54 PM »
I was a member of cat chat from 2006, but never used the forum (couldn't work out how to get on it for some reason - dur!) :doh:
so I didn't get the link from there.

I found Purrs when I was in need of help for our first FIVer, Chubby. I had been researching via Yahoo Groups and found a prominently USA based site which had great contributors but not much I could hang my hat on here in the UK. Someone on there cross posted a Purrs link about FIV - I was hooked and never looked back.  :Luv:

Oh and I lurked for almost exactly one year before I posted!    :Luv2:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 23:01:22 PM by sheilarose, Reason: missed a bit »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 22:38:55 PM »
19th July 2009. Bossy!  :)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 22:35:31 PM »
I joined when CC closed too - it was a real panic time, thinking we had lost our forum but thanks to Tan Purrs was started  :Luv:
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
How did you come across Purrs and how long did you lurk for?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 22:34:54 PM »
I only saw this forum for the first time listed on tapatalk tonight, but are on other forums on different subjects.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 22:27:28 PM »
I think I was one of the founder members when CC closed .... I remember spending hours gethering loads of email addresses and sending out shed loads of emails telling everyone we were off to a new "home".  I joined Purrs November 16, 2006, 09:25:49 AM and have been here ever since  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 21:45:10 PM »
I joined a couple of years ago, Lesley pointed me in Purrs direction when i adopted my rascals from her.

Nicky

Time/date? Come on Nickynoo, you should know this off the top of your head  :naughty:  :evillaugh:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 21:23:05 PM »
I joined a couple of years ago, Lesley pointed me in Purrs direction when i adopted my rascals from her.

Nicky

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 20:53:14 PM »
I joined November 16, 2006, 02:56:47 No need to check my profile, I have it in my head  ;) :naughty:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 20:42:04 PM »
My first post was on  November 2006 at 13.37pm

Yup checked my profile to check :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Link to CatChat