Author Topic: Tatty Cat Has entered the Forum!  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
Re: Tatty Cat Has entered the Forum!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 16:55:01 PM »
His tail really is amazing! It's as long as he is!! When he's grumpy he taps it on the floor, as a human would tap their foot, and it sounds exactly the same.

We put a litter tray down the day he came home from the vets and immediatly knew how to use it, and did for the first few days. I think he just prefers to go out to do his business, he'll come find you if he wants to go out. At first we were really scared of letting him out, he could have just disappeared, but he returned within 40 minutes. He's been out twice a day since, and the longest he's been out is an hour.

He's been a bit odd today thou, let him out this morning, he was gone for an hour, came back, had breakfast & an antibiotic then went to sleep. Went out a couple of times after that, after meowing and following me everywhere so i let him out and he and immediatly came back in... then decided to do a poo behind the television!! :O Then went to sleep all afternoon, lol!

He's just gone out now, wandered round the garden and started meowing at me, almost as if to ask if it's ok if he goes for a wander!

We dont feed him before he goes out, so his stomach brings him back, as he's still on his tablets and must complete the course.

He's slowly coming round to being stroked more, and is becomming so far removed from the grump he once was  ;)

Thanks once again for the warm welcome, we're doing what any caring human being would do by taking him in, it just saddens me that someone didn't do it sooner.
The adventures of Tatty! Twitter.com/The_Tatty_Cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 15:53:04 PM »
What a tail  ;D

I would recommend, if you havent already, introducing an indoor litter tray for him, so as the weather gets even worse, he doesnt have to go out if he doesnt want.

He will know how to use but dont worry nif he still goes out......some cats do until its snowing or freezing.......sigh

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 14:15:34 PM »
He's gorgeous,he is probably too accustomed to people shooing him away,i think we too would be in in this kind of mood if this happened to us! I reckon that he will turn out to be as good as gold,once he knows that he ahs now got loving owners who care for him. :Luv:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 13:22:54 PM »
He's being a pain today, meowing at everyone in the house, yet doesnt want to go out in the rain, and has had a fair bit of food.

Exactly like my two yesterday!

He's gorgeous - and I see what you mean about that tail!  :Luv:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Here's some pictures! There's also a video of him at http://twitpic.com/5ev5tc

He's being a pain today, meowing at everyone in the house, yet doesnt want to go out in the rain, and has had a fair bit of food. Think he's starting to want some attention :)

Offline FellasMommy

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Fella
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
 :welcome: What a heart warming but very sad story, the things this lovely boy must have been through, thank god he found you! He is so gorgeous but has obviously been through a tough time, with your wonderful care and attention I am sure he will come around behaviour wise. Look forward to hearing about his progress  :Luv:

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I might put some more pics up here of how he was when we first spotted him... will dig them out from his Twitter feed!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
Welcome to Purrs!

Tatty looks like a lovely old gentleman :Luv:, well done for giving him a home!

I'm looking forward to seeing lots more photos as he progresses over the next few months.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
Thankyou for *such* a warm welcome!

He is beautiful, just his temprement isn't the best, but he is getting better. He's been confined to the dining room and kitchen whilst he settles in. He has a chair which is now officially 'his' as he doesnt move from there all day!

Started the leave the dining room door open, so he can come explore the house. What we have found that if he wants something he'll come find us. Whoever had him last must have put him outside to use the loo, as he comes and meows if he wants to go out and do his business! He's not done too much exploring, but he's getting there... he's v v v shy!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »
Tatty is a BABE! :) Welcome to the forum. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »
 :welcome:  to the forum really pleased to have you here

Thank you for rescuing Tatty you have a heart of gold

I echo what Gill said I am quite sure that after afew weeks with you he will fill out naturally anyway

:ahh:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 23:49:40 PM »
Thank you for taking him in and am sure regular feeding and a home where he feels safe and has no stress will help him no end.

I would give him at least a month before taking him back to the vets unless there is a major isuue, he needs to trust you and relax in his new home.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 21:01:32 PM »
What a lucky boy to have landed on his feet by finding you  ;D He's lovely  :Luv:

Just trying to integrate him into a normal life instead of him living under a bush and getting chased out of peoples houses and gardens on his search for food.

That really got to me, poor boy  :(

There's a food you can get online or from the vets called Hills A/D. It's high calorie and would help to build him up, it's not cheap but even if he had a can a day in addition to his normal meals I'm sure it would help build him up.

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 20:02:22 PM »
His heart and BP were fine, he's been wormed, and thaks for the cat milk suggestion!! Will give him a week or so and if he's still a bit skinny, i'll ring the vet. He's eaten 4 pouches of felix senior, fresh chicken, a tiny bit of wellbeloved, and mackeral today... he's got quite an appetite!! Then again he is a biiig cat.

He did have a really bad flea infestation, of which are pretty much dead now. We frontlined him and gave him some program. Hopefully his coat will start to get better the more he lets us stroke him with the grooming gloves... he's still a bit snappy sometimes.

Just want him to be happy, and know he's safe. He's been on the streets for such a long time :(

This is the 2nd time we've rescued strays, 2 years ago a cat moved her feral kittens into our garden! We tamed them so that the RSPCA would take them,took us 4 months mind, and they were eventually rehomed :D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 19:41:59 PM »
 :welcome: he's gorgeous  :Luv2:

Cat milk has always done the trick for gaining weight with my cats, I'm sure he'll much better soon.  Full bloods would be a good idea including thyroid once he's settled in (although he looks pretty much settled to me) if he doesn't seem to be building up.  I'm sure that your vet would suggest those if they suspected them too,  I presume they checked his heart/bp etc? there are lots of signs they would look out for.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 19:30:06 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Bless you both for taking on this handsome lad.  I'm sure after a few weeks of TLC, warmth and good food you will see him start to fill out.  I assume the vet wormed him during his stay .... I'm sure the combination of living rough and scrounging food will be the main contributor to the skinniness.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 19:24:03 PM »
Thankyou for such a warm welcome!

@Rosella re Bloods, He was given a good check over by the vets, not sure about bloods thou. Will ring them tomorrow and ask, just dont want to have to put him thru the stress of the vets again, not yet anyway. He got so so so stressed :(

Let him out for the 3rd time an hour ago, just waiting for him to come back... I *hate* this bit! Especially considering the weather...

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 19:01:35 PM »
Hello and  :welcome:  to Purrs

The gorgeous Tatty has certainly landed on his paws, he looks very wise in the pic of him sitting on the chair  :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 18:57:15 PM »
how fantastic that he found you, he looks wonderful!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 18:51:46 PM »
Welcome  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

And can only say  :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: on Tatty's behalf for all the attention, love and most of all fud  :)

I think you need to get him blood tested, if not done already, in an effort to see what underlying health ishoos he has to give him a fighting chance..... HyperT (T4), Diabetes and Renal tests are the usual culprits for skinnyness although, with BIG FINGERS CROSSED, may just be he's starving coz that's easily fixed  :)

Can I just say I love ya both for what you are doing for this super lad  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Tatty

• Adult Cat
Tatty Cat Has entered the Forum!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 17:06:17 PM »
This is Tatty, and sadly we don't know much about him!

We've seen him potering the neighbourhood since April, and he was in such a poor state, I remember my parter coming in from the garden saying she'd seen the mankiest cat ever! I thought it was a fox as I only saw his tail and it's so fluffy and about 40cm long!

We 'look after' next doors cat (she's adopted us as she isn't keen on the attention their kids give her) and he seemed to have made friends with her. She regualry comes into our house and was trying to get him to come in too. So we set about our mission of trying to feed him and get him to come closer so we could get him to a vet, as obviously he needed some attention. Very very underweight, fleas, ear mites, discharge coming from his ears, mange, sneezing, limping, and not to mention the fact that he hadn't been 'done' and seemed to be a bit blind. Placed adverts everywhere to see if he had an owner, to no responses, so off to the vet he went!

They kept him in overnight as he really wasn't happy about having been put in a carrier, and the next day (thursday just gone) he was neutered and had his ears flushed out as they were really, really bad. :( He had a bit of a temper too, had a go at all the girls at the vets.
We picked him up, brought him back and all hes done is sleep, eat & eat his antibiotics and is looking 10x better than he did! He's been out a couple of times and returned back to the house within the hour, so we're now his new slaves!

So what do we know about him? Well he's quite an old man, the vet wouldn't be suprised if he was in double figures, and he has a bit of an issue with being stroked. Think this is largely to do with his ears being so sore, he'll just hiss and thats enough warning for us to back off! He doesnt like the brush, so grooming gloves it is. He doesnt have many of his teeth, but likes his biscuits. He's been out since at least April and probably longer. It's so so sad. He does however have the most beautiful face and fluffy tail, it's huge! Think he has a dash of maine coon in him somewhere as he is a *big* cat, sadly just a very skinny one!

Would appreciate any advice on how much and what to feed him, and how do we get his coat back to how it should be? Just trying to integrate him into a normal life instead of him living under a bush and getting chased out of peoples houses and gardens on his search for food.

It was suggested by the girl at the vets that we are very 'brave' taking him on due to his behavior, but he's been as good as gold since he's been home. He uses his litter tray, and just sleeps! Don't regret for one minute what we've done, and we just hope we can make his final years, happy ones :)

Link to CatChat