Author Topic: Asda selling a so called "whimsical" set of pictures, one of which I find rather offensive!  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
It is very likely t be a stock photo and the ability to trace its origins difficult. The actual cat isn't my issue, it's the peddling of highly distasteful goods.

Saying it's a supplier issue is rubbish, they will have a buying team, someone on that buying team thought these would appeal to the Asda customer and some head of the department approved the selection and approved an order from the supplier.

So it isn't anything to do with the supplier, had Asda not placed an order there wouldn't be thousands of these sat in a warehouse somewhere waiting for Asda customers to purchase them and slap them up on the wall as amusing "art"!

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
I received a reply, too, asking the exact location on the site of the pic.
I truly hope it is photoshopped, I cannot get the poor cat out of my mind......

I asked the lady to check whether it is tricked, and, hopefully, put my mind at ease.
If so, I still feel it is sick to sell something like that, but at least I will know the poor thing is not being tortured to death.

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
 >:(I've had a response to my message to ASDA about the fat cat pic.  Sounded as though she was in agreement and see where we're coming from.  However,,,,, not up to her, so has been passed on to suppliers.  Let's see if anything happens.

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
I found the contact form:

This is what I wrote (I am quite curious if I will ever get a reply)

I am truly disgusted with one of the products you sell on your website. There is a set of 'whimsical' cat pictures containing one photo of a morbidly obese cat. To allow a cat to get this fat is animal abuse, and to portray it as as 'art' is beyond bad taste.

In offering this picture for sale, you are condoning, even promoting, this serious form animal abuse, as well as justifying insults to obese people. Obesity is very unhealthy, and therefore NEVER funny, and presenting it as such, in humans or animals, is insulting and disgusting.

Please stop selling this item and remove it from your site straightaway.

I know I am not the first to complain, I was alerted to this item by several British cat lovers, who ALL have written negative reviews or mailed their complaints, but you are too chicken even to own up to your mistake by showing them.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
Its disgusting and I've left a review as well. Would they call a photo of a morbidly obese child art????

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
No the 2nd pic is definately sick, and to advertise it as 'beautiful art'  :Crazy:

I did a review.  Love how they ask you for a nickname - I chose Purrer  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
I think the pic is pretty horrific to look at even if you didnt like cats :Crazy:
I thought at first fatcat- maybe garfield type cuteness,then saw that horror!!!!
If any one does buy those pics they must have some serious issues somewhere- mind you sticking that pic above your cats food dish would be sure to deter sticking in that little bit extra when your furrball is doing the pityfull face :innocent:

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
Just had a look at the picture not knowing what to expect.

It is just disgusting.

Not sure if many will be sold but it just isnt on to be selling this.

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
I was also appalled at the picture of the obese cat and searched the Asda website to make a complaint.  Eventually I phoned their helpline and spoke to a really helpful guy (won't give his name in case it gets him into trouble)  he said if I went on to the Grocery site there is a contact email facility.  I used this to put forward my views and suggest if otherse do the same perhaps the offending article will be withdrawn.

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
I wrote a comment, too, but I am absolutely certain they will NOT show any of them.
I looked for an email address to file a complaint, but there isn't any.

If anyone does know of an email addy to send complaints to, do give it to us, so we can all complain directly to the company.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
I also have written a review. The website says it takes up to 72 hours to display reviews... I guess if we're all complaining then none of them will be displayed, hopefully someone will withdraw these.
Can't say that I'd have any on display... tat!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
They probably review them, as it were but nevertheless, at least someone will be reading them!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Where ARE the reviews?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
disgusting picture
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
that is a horrible picture. i can't imagine anyone would buy them  :Crazy:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
Totally agree and have submitted my comment. To allow an animal to become so obese is the other extreme to starving it. Both are animal abuse in my eyes. I asked them if they thought it would be amusing to sell prints of emaciated animals. I wonder if it is ASDAs own brand cat food that makes them so obese? Mmmm, should definitely avoid it.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
http://direct.asda.com/Set-of-Three-Cats-Prints/001763966,default,pd.html

The middle picture is that of an obese, grossly obese, cat. I find it offensive and disgusting that Asda has selected it to be used as "art" and thus glorifying what is animal abuse.

I have left a review telling them I think the picture is disgusting and it would be brilliant if others could do the same  :shy:

Link to CatChat