Author Topic: Locking cat flaps if you go on holiday  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
Re: Locking cat flaps if you go on holiday
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:03 AM »
I know, but they will be friends of your own cat.
Jiskefet could always get in, even if he lost his collar. He just waited for Catweazle, Steffie or Tuppence to go in and followed close behind. But  the other cats LET him follow. NO cat will allow a rival or enemy to follow him that closely through the cat flap.

Besides, you can adjust the time during which the petporte will unlock. I always set it very short, one or two seconds, to prevent other cats from following when mine are being chased. But if you have a very hesitant cat, you can set it up to 30 seconds or longer, just as you wish...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 23:47:37 PM »
I have heard that clever cats who really want to come in will follow the cat with the chip closely and get in!

Cats are very clever and sneakie  :scared:

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 19:46:35 PM »
I have done just that several times, not when I went on holiday, but overnight, if I wanted the cats indoors (new year's eve or the Queen's birthday, because of the fireworks, or when I had to take one of them to the vet in the morning).

It used to be no problem, because my cats wore collars with a magnetic key, so no strange cats could come in. But after Tosca hurt herself on her collar, I kook them off all my cats, and taped over the catch, so they could always get in. Then, all of a sudden, strange cats could come in, too, and only the half-wild not-neutered ones ever did. You can imagine what my house smelled like in the morning.

But now I have got the perfect solution.
A Petporte cat flap.
http://www.staywell.co.uk/Intl/UK/Products/Pet-Porte-Smart-Flap.aspx
http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/
http://www.pet-porte.co.uk/

They respond to the chip of your cats, and only cats YOU have programmed into the flap can come in. I have my cats chipped anyway, so there is no extra expenses there. The petporte is expensive, but after having my house thoroughly marked by unwelcome cats several times, it was well worth it.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Locking cat flaps if you go on holiday
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 18:39:28 PM »
As holiday times approach, a cautionary tale.  A couple of years ago one of my neighbours put her cat flap to "In only" in order to catch her cat to take to cattery while she was on holiday.  She then forgot to alter it to locked completely or in/out and my Dillon (nosey little b****r that he is) found himself locked in their house.  It was only when I put out fliers door to door that another neighbour with a key found him (and several presents he had left!!! :sick:) Luckily he was fine, but I had spent two days beside myself with worry.

Link to CatChat