Author Topic: Medication side-effects  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Medication side-effects
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 17:03:21 PM »
I think it's difficult.  Just like with human medications, every drug comes with a host of potential side efffects but most will not experience anything too serious.  I don't think it's easy to get the balance between not scaring people and warning them of possible side effects.  I think there is a lot of scare mongering on the internet and people read about someone whose pet had a terrible reaction to something and then panic and  may actually put their pet at risk by withholding medication.  I certainly think that we as owners need to weigh up the potential benefits against the potential risks and make sure we remind our vets of any existing conditions our pets have (vets should know that and prescribe accordingly but it doesn't hurt for us to remind them) and ask about possible side effects but imo there is no such thing as a safe drug.  They all have the potential to cause side effects and sadly these will sometimes be very serious.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 15:41:17 PM »

It should be at the top of your list when going to the vets, its always best to take a written list of question cos in the panic of the moment its easy to froget to ask stuff.

I have taken a list in the past and forgotten to ask some of the questions even...............just human response to panic, worry and stress

I think that's just why vets should warn people.  There's far too many animal medications with steroids in them IMO.  Yet with humans doctors are so reluctant to prescribe them!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 17:05:33 PM »
Vets should warn you if there is a ssrious side effect, especially when an injection cos the effects cant be stopped once given.

However in their defence all meds can have side effects but most dont with most cats so they would be worrying people unnecessarily.

The only way this can be sorted is if every owner asks about side effects before any meds or injections are given.

It should be at the top of your list when going to the vets, its always best to take a written list of question cos in the panic of the moment its easy to froget to ask stuff.

I have taken a list in the past and forgotten to ask some of the questions even...............just human response to panic, worry and stress

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Medication side-effects
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 16:34:32 PM »
There seems to be so many medications prescribed / administered by vets with bad side-effects.  Why don't they warn us?  The only way you seem to find out is by looking on the internet.  Admittedly you sometimes get a leaflet with medication, but not with injections.

Link to CatChat