Author Topic: oldercats  (Read 5416 times)

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
Re: oldercats
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 21:54:58 PM »
Thanks Helen its worth looking into, and i will try to get our local paper to print a article to, Only i have a small number of cats that seems always be left out when i get people coming, they always seem to be sleeping out of view or hiding or to frightend so anything is worth trying, and at the moment there is more coming in than going out. its the same all over.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 20:42:42 PM »
Is it worth approaching the local paper for an article Ron?

This was posted on another thread and might also be worth thinking about....

We had so many "Failed Fosterers" LOL (foster carers who decided to Adopt their Foster Kitty), that we at KumfyKatz Rescue are running a "Try before you Adopt" scheme.
We supply everything to start off a Potential Fosterer including a 24/7 support helpline, thanks to Sponsorship from a couple of local (to us) Companies, and help from the RMP's at Aldershot. We cover all costs (vets bills, food, litter, beds, scratchers, litter trays & scoops, cleaning materials, toys etc). We haven't excluded anyone who would like to Foster a cat for us: Service families, single people, the retired -- anyone can foster short or long term, once homechecked, vet checked and LA checked..

The scheme has been running now for just over two months, and I have to say that apart from a few teething problems at the beginning, it's proving to be relatively successful. 9 cats have found permanent forever homes this way, and 6 more in Foster. Of the 9 homed, 8 were fostered for up to a fortnight, then the Foster Carers decided they had "fallen in love with Darling..." and wanted to adopt. 3 of those Foster Carers have also offered to Foster again.

We also have (Thanks in the main to Rushmoor Voluntary Services) a couple of entries of the doit.org website, where potential volunteers go to look for voluntary work in their areas. We've only done the entry in the last week, and had two potential Fosterers call already.

We put a little poster for our "TRY BEFORE YOU ADOPT" scheme everywhere we could think of where people sit or stand and wait for something (Doctors, Library, Schools, Day Care Centres, Services Welfare Offices waiting rooms, vets, local Cafes, Pubs, and Bus Stops etc. Even got some of local Cabbies (Bless them all) to put a small postcard-sized notice in the back of their cabs, and local Snack Wagons have one too. Also did a leaflet drop at a couple of local car boot sales and fetes.

We have at this very moment 84 pending Pre-Fostering Homechecks to do in this area (and if anyone would like to help (must have experience, car and phone)......) So potentially, we have spaces for 84+ cats! Yikes!

Maybe you could try something similar in your area?
Best to get some sort of sponsorship first, talk to local businesses (bigger ones), work up a good relationship with them, talk to your local RVS centres, talk to your vets, and other vets in your area.
Prepare for the influx! (We didn't, fully, that's why we had teething problems from the start).

Best of luck!
Gil xxx
Volunteer Manager
KumfyKatz Rescue
07590 495086
www.kumfykatzrescue.co.uk

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 20:36:00 PM »
i hope some people come forward to help out. i have a soft spot for older cats x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 20:34:47 PM »
I hope you get some volunteers  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 19:15:28 PM »
Best of luck with this Ron  :hug: I may have been able to help if I was nearer.

It may be worthwhile crossposting e.g. on Cat Chat as someone on there may be able to help or know of someone who can.

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
oldercats
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 16:19:44 PM »
Foster homes needed for some of our long term cats, if you can foster a cat for us please get in touch with us at lostcatsbrighton, we are looking for people who are willing to help by fostering  cats that that has been in our cattery for some time, we are willing to pay for food, and  we will also cover all vet bills, if you are interested please give us a call on 01273 422721 or mob, 07990812669 thank you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 13:39:12 PM by ronandcats »

Link to CatChat