Author Topic: TOP TEN CAT MYTHS (ALLEGEDLY)  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
Re: TOP TEN CAT MYTHS (ALLEGEDLY)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 22:38:34 PM »
hee hee Mark, that did make me laugh, I did that with Sam when he first arrived and touch wood no mishaps yet!

On the butter myth, I moved to this house in November, the previous owners had a cat too and for some reason thought it was jam you put on the cats paws  :-:  Anyway, I dont think they tried it, or they did and it didnt work (obviously), as it made its way back to mine twice which was about 3 miles from its new home.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 14:57:48 PM »
My brothers cat Mickey always cries when my neice Kirsty cried. He gets so upset and has to see her to make sure shes ok its really cute. On the other hand he DID jump in her cradle when she was a baby and frightened Andy and Becky so much that he got banished from bedrooms from then on. When Kirsty grew out of her cot they had it still up in the box room and Mickey and Jazz used to sleep in it quite happily in the day time  :evillaugh:
love
Tab
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 14:58:13 PM by tab »

ccmacey

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
When Leo was a baby if he started to cry Macey would come up to him and be sniffing all around his head really concerned. She done this the other day when he was crying and that reminded me.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 19:17:23 PM »
I think they used to say the cat would suck the life out of a baby.

Cats (and dogs) know young, whether its other animals or humans and they play more gently with them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 17:25:47 PM »
Yes as my OH's mother keeps saying, what a load of sh1t.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 16:10:18 PM »
Ela, you havent got "when you have a baby the cat will get in the cot and smother it"

I think we would need a  book to write them all. Funnily enough I saw that one earlier today.That perhaps would be number 11 and only  the top ten posted. ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 15:40:19 PM »
Iv never heard the butter one, how bizarre people would think that! :Crazy:

MM, even in South Africa this was the myth. However, we tried it and our toms all came home, and they were let out after only a week (we were an uneducated lot in those days!)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 15:30:38 PM »
Yep I've heard of the butter one as well, we used to do it to our cats when I was little when we moved.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 15:26:41 PM »
mark  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: awwwwww bless her

ive heard of the butter one
my dad use to say it yrs ago
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 15:11:13 PM »
Lol Mark  :rofl:

Ela, you havent got "when you have a baby the cat will get in the cot and smother it"  :P

Iv never heard the butter one, how bizarre people would think that! :Crazy:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
Amazingly we all seem really proud when they drop a smelly one! :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »
Great,

Re number 10. When I got kylie, whenever she did a poo, she cried and put her head down like a dog and slunk away from me scared. I realised that she had probably been punished for toileting (she had been rehomed twice) I made a point of telling her what a good girl she was and giving treats and chin rubs after she had been. In no time at all, she stopped the behaviour and will quite happily drop a big smelly one right in front of me  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:19:46 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:28:12 AM »
Excellent post Ela.  I am copying the bit about toxo to my brother as he and his wife are trying for another baby and it caused some concern when she was pregnant with her first.  Not that my brother would ever give up his 3 gingers.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
TOP TEN CAT MYTHS (ALLEGEDLY)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:13:45 AM »
1. Giving cats a saucer of milk is good for them. Cow's milk is deficient in protein and energy content and does not adequately replace the mother's milk for un-weaned kittens. Nor is it suitable for many adult cats as about 10% of cats in the UK have a "lactose intolerance". This means the cat cannot absorb the lactose (i.e. the sugar in cow's milk) and eventually it will accumulate in the cat's system through osmosis and fermentation, causing diarrhoea.
2. It is unfair not to allow a female cat to have a litter of kittens. As a cat has no anticipation of motherhood, there is no benefit to the cat from having a litter of kittens. A cat only recognises a kitten when it squeals at her for the first time after she gives birth. The first experience provides the memory therefore it would seem kinder to spay before the first pregnancy.
3. Neutering a male cat is a cruel act and takes away their masculinity. Neutering, far from being cruel is, in fact, quite the opposite. A neutered male cat is less likely to suffer from Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and Feline Leukaemia Virus (FeLV) as they are less likely to wander, protect their territory or get into fights with other cats. They are therefore less likely to get bitten and become infected with these diseases.
An un-castrated male marks his territory by spraying his strong smelling urine. He will do this inside the house as well as around the garden. Neutering can reduce this problem. Most cats killed on the roads are un-castrated toms. The operation to neuter a male cat is a quick and simple operation, which will therefore help your cat in many ways.
4. Rubbing butter on cats' paws helps them find their way home if they are lost. Greasy furniture is the only likely result of rubbing butter on a cat's paws as butter does not help a cat find its way home. A far more effective way of reuniting a lost cat with its owner is to have it microchipped: a painless procedure which provides a safe and permanent method of identification. Each chip carries a unique identification number linked to a database containing details of the pet as well as the name and address of the owner. A simple phone call can establish the owners' details, thereby enabling missing cats to be quickly reunited with their owners.
5. A cat that has just given birth cannot become instantly pregnant again. As a rule, most queens will not begin cycling until a few weeks after the kittens are weaned. However, as with all rules there are exceptions. It has been known for lactating queens to become pregnant, sometimes almost immediately after kittening.
6. When a cat is on heat, she bleeds. Bleeding does not occur when a cat is on heat. Unlike most animals, cats do not spontaneously release eggs from the ovary. It is the mating act itself that stimulates the development of the eggs in the ovary, normally resulting in their release 24-36 hours later with fertilisation generally occurring in the fallopian tubes.
7. When you have a baby you should rehome your cat because of toxoplasmosis. Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic infection which can infect people in two ways. One is by ingesting toxo that has been shed in the faeces of a cat ie through contact with soil or litter where cats have defecated. This is a very uncommon occurrence. The more common method of acquiring toxo is by eating meat or prey which contains toxo.
A recent article in the BMJ about toxoplasma infection in pregnant women, stated that pregnant women are at low risk of contracting toxoplasmosis from cats. The study concluded that inadequately cooked or cured meat was the main risk factor for infection from toxoplasmosis, and that women eating undercooked lamb, beef or game, having contact with soil, or travelling outside Europe, the US and Canada, were most at risk.
8. Cats always land on their feet. Wrong - they quite often land on their chins. One of the most common injuries in cats is a mandibular fracture. In hot weather, cats can fall asleep on window sills next to open windows, fall out of the window and cause themselves pelvic injuries.
9. When cats are castrated, they become fat and lazy and don't catch mice. Castrated cats do not become lazier. They become more contented and stick closer to home, as they no longer have the urge to roam. For this reason, they may appear to be lazier than previously.
10. Rubbing a cat's nose in their toilet means they won't do it again in the same place. A cat should never be reprimanded for toileting in the wrong place as this could make the problem worse given that toileting problems can be stress related. Offering the cat a reward every time it goes to the toilet in the correct area should help to confirm that it is doing the right thing.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat