Author Topic: Animal abuse on the island of Kos - upsetting pics in link.  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
Re: Animal abuse on the island of Kos - upsetting pics in link.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
Thanks Clarenmax.

Unfortunately a lot of the locals are not keen on tourists feeding the cats. There are two sides to the coin though. On one hand when you see a cat (or dog for that matter) who is quite obviously starving of course you want to feed it but on the other hand once the season ends and all the tourists go home the cats (and dogs) are left to fend for themselves. In the resort of Kefalos a lot of the property and restaurant owners go back to their homes in the old village up on the hill so there is no source of food for all the strays left in the resort.

If you look at the 3rd link in my first post you will see there are a group of German people trying to improve the conditions for the cats and dogs in Kos which is great news. Although having read through their website it seems they have come against opposition from the local people which is such a shame  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
I went to Kos many years ago (also Kefalos) and there were quite a few cats hanging around the beach front restaurants.  One owner used to put food out, but the others used to tell the tourists off for feeding them as they didn't want them to be encouraged  :-[

Will sign :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
Thanks Sam  :thanks: I've posted the link on Twitter and have asked a few celebs that I follow to retweet. None of them have though.  :( I also put it on FB.  ;)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 23:49:42 PM »
posted on Facebook as well hun xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 20:12:48 PM »
Thanks Sam. I desperately want this to reach the 1000 signatures needed.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Animal abuse on the island of Kos.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
signed
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »
I stayed in Kefalos too, I was right at the end of the resort (away from the old fashioned village on the hill). There were only two cats near our hotel but in the old village on top of the hill itself I saw a local throw a stone at a cat as we were driving past >:(

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
Helen, which area of the island did you go to? I always stay in Kefalos and believe me they have A LOT of cats in that area  :'(

As I said in my first post I love Kos and the people but I find the situation with the cats extremely hard. Last year I found a kitten that couldn't have been more than 8 weeks old. It was at the side of the road absolutely terrified and quite obviously crying for it's mum. There was no sign of mum so I don't know if she was off looking for food or something had happened to her. The kitten eventually made a dash across the road and disappeared but the memory of that poor little mite has stayed with me.

It's not all doom and gloom as the place where we were staying was run by a very nice family who had a female cat with four kittens living at the back of the apartments. The family fed the mother and they were happy for any of the guests to give the mum and kittens food ~ some of the locals are not happy with people doing this. Before I left I did try to persuade the family to take the mother cat to the vets to be spayed but I think it fell on deaf ears  :(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:46 AM »
Signed.

Thank you for bringing this petition to our attention.

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:33 AM »
Signed

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 23:57:13 PM »
Signed  :(

I went there two years ago and took a big bag of dry food with me but only saw two cats, that's obviously a good thing but it makes you wonder if anything untoward is happening to the population for there only to be two  :(

• Honorary Cat
Animal abuse on the island of Kos - upsetting pics in link.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 20:29:48 PM »
I've been going to Kos every year since 2005 and I love the island but the one thing that upsets me greatly is the way they treat their animals  :(

I found this petition today and wondered if you would take a few minutes to sign: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/280/stop-animal-abuse-on-kos-island-greece

Thank you!  :thanks:

Update: I wanted to add this link to explain a little better why I'm asking you to sign the petition. Please be aware there are pics in the link that some people may find upsetting: http://www.demotix.com/news/507756/cats-poisoned-kardamena-kos-island

I found out today that there is a neutering programme on Kos run by some German people. If anyone is interested in the work they are doing then check out this link: http://www.tierhilfe-kos.at/website_neu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&lang=en
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 20:10:57 PM by Tigerlily (Allison), Reason: Links added »

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Link to CatChat