Author Topic: Cats & Vet Bills  (Read 18317 times)

MBll

Re: Cats & Vet Bills
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 14:52:57 PM »

Mags, sometimes its just a case of not being able to afford expensive treatment, where as they can afford routine things. Things arise and you cant always be prepared, some people just don't have hundreds in the bank. In these cases it doesn't mean you shouldn't have pets. You have to do whats best for the animal by any means, even if it does mean getting help from a charity.

No im not saying  dont use a charity if someone  needed expensive  vet treatment & this was the only option  for them then use it & paypback later. But dont just leave it as it wont go away.

I dont have hundreds in the bank but do try & put whatever i can even if its only  a fiver a week in if/when something comes up.   If i needed to pay a expensive  vet bill & didnt have  enough money to cover it ...Id panic big time & cry alot lol BUT i would find the money SOMEHOW even if i have to go into debt lol
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 14:55:05 PM by MBll »

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 14:50:21 PM »
So if an emergency arises and the private vets wont give you an account, and you could get help from a charity what should they do?

I use the pdsa, I dont expect anyone to pay for his treatment and I always leave a £10 donation when Im there, which covers the cost of his medicines, they are only a fraction of the cost at the pdsa where as at the private vets they cost a lot more.

I take my other cats to a private vets should anything be wrong. So I can afford their treatment but not the treatment for Ollies existing condition, surely this isnt wrong? I just see it as me doing my best for him.

I dont buy designer labels go to bingo or drink, I do smoke though but Im not a chimney.

MBll

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 14:35:41 PM »
These folk that say they cant afford vet bills but think nothing of buying designer labels for their brats, smoking, drinking & bingo......now if they have the money for these then  they dam well have money for vet bills etc.  It is bloody wrong to have animals & expect others to pay for them.

ccmacey

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 14:34:51 PM »
With emergencies and vets not offering accounts, I think this is the reason many people turn to the PDSA. And yes some people do just abuse it and think they have the right.

If someone doesn't want to pay vet bills should their animal get sick, they are the sorts of people who shouldn't have pets.

Mags, sometimes its just a case of not being able to afford expensive treatment, where as they can afford routine things. Things arise and you cant always be prepared, some people just don't have hundreds in the bank. In these cases it doesn't mean you shouldn't have pets. You have to do whats best for the animal by any means, even if it does mean getting help from a charity.

I do agree with what your saying Ela, people should not be phoning you asking for you to pay vets bills, I think some people just don't understand what your charity is about.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 14:30:08 PM »
Course's for horses and all that.

You should have had the Grand National on your mind,  Horses for courses ;D Which as you know means means that what is suitable for one person or situation might be unsuitable for another. I am sure you understand that we in rescue must know that a home is suitable  for our little ones and that includes being able to ensure vet care if needed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 14:34:21 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 14:20:20 PM »
Course's for horses and all that.

I do get help from the pdsa with 1 of my cats because he has ongoing treatment, I could have another 2 cats registered but I dont. I only use the pdsa to get help with Ollies existing condition, and anything else he goes to a private vets, and its the same with all the rest of my cats.

I have had them all neutered, microchipped and they get their yearly jabs at the private vets, which costs £100 a year.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 14:15:24 PM »
Well must say im on benfits & always  covered vet bills even if i have to go short myself & on many times i have .   For anyone having animals wither they are on benfits or not it is down to them/their responsibility to deal  with any vet bills etc  if they cant or dont wont to then they should not have animals.

Well done you, unfortunately many people do not think like that.

If on benifits they should ask their vet about  having an account with them

Unfortunately nowadays there are not many vets who will allow accounts as so many people have let them down and they are owed thousands, shame really as that spoils it for everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 14:21:12 PM by Ela »

MBll

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 14:10:27 PM »
Well must say im on benfits & always  covered vet bills even if i have to go short myself & on many times i have .   For anyone having animals wither they are on benfits or not it is down to them/their responsibility to deal  with any vet bills etc  if they cant or dont wont to then they should not have animals.

If on benifits they should ask their vet about  having an account with them as pdsa are a charity & are limited on treatments etc as they dont do such things as nueter etc.  I could have got vouchers from the cat proctectiion for nuetering but didnt,  i can have pdsa treatment but dont

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 14:08:15 PM »
True, but they are asking for help with vets bills not for you to rehome a cat to them. You can be on a low wage and still get housing and council tax benefit, which means you would be eligable for help from the PDSA. They would be working but still getting benefits, would you not home to them either

Cats Protection is  not here to pay peoples vet bills, when people donate to Cats Protection it is for Cats Protection cats, spending CP money on owned cats is misappropriation of funds and we could  get into trouble with the Charity Commission if the money is not spent for the purpose it was given. The money used for vouchers that can be given for owned cats is a different funding.

As previously advised round here and indeed in many parts of the country the PDSA  is not free for all. You can be on every benefit under the sun but you can still only register one pet and only if you live in certain post codes.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 13:58:23 PM »
True, but they are asking for help with vets bills not for you to rehome a cat to them. You can be on a low wage and still get housing and council tax benefit, which means you would be eligable for help from the PDSA. They would be working but still getting benefits, would you not home to them either?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 13:29:54 PM »
You cant associate all people on benefits with being scum, there are a lot of mothers on benefits because they want to look after their kids and people that are old and cant get employment, dosnt mean your any less of a person.

I would not dream to think so, but it is irresponsible to home more cats when a family is on benefits and has to rely on charities for help.

So they are coming to you for help with vet bills you could at least point them in the directon of the PDSA. Just because some people are on benefits dosnt mean they dont love their pets and accidents happen

It would be a waste of time asking people to ring the PDSA as the nearest PDSA clinics are in Sheffield and Nottingham and they will not deal with pets from our Town To register with the one vet who will do PDSA work you have to live in a certain post code area  and and even then you can only register 1 pet and the pet needs to be well at the time of registration,  once registered it takes about 1 month for the registration to come through before your pet can receive treatment.

It will be Mirphys law that if a pet is sick it would be one that was not registered.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 13:03:33 PM »
So they are coming to you for help with vet bills you could at least point them in the directon of the PDSA. Just because some people are on benefits dosnt mean they dont love their pets and accidents happen. You cant associate all people on benefits with being scum, there are a lot of mothers on benefits because they want to look after their kids and people that are old and cant get employment, dosnt mean your any less of a person.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »
A least you have paid the vet bills.  today has been a nightmare and it is only lunch time, i have received 2 calls about injured cats. Of course I say you need to contact a vet immediately, all without exception have said but I am on benefits. So it would appear it is my problem. Everyone swear blind that they will pay back, few do. Is there any wonder why we really don't like to home cats where there are already pets in the home and the family are on benefits?

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
just think wat u get in return though  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

a washing macine wont give u that :Crazy:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

MBll

Cats & Vet Bills
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »
Only had these cats 10/11 month & so far iv paid out over £200 OMG lol  :Crazy:

Jeuses just think i could have got a new washing machine for that lol  :innocent:

Link to CatChat