Author Topic: Totally fed up with a neighbourhood tom  (Read 1993 times)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
Re: Totally fed up with a neighbourhood tom
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 17:34:30 PM »
Could you ask the cats protection league to help you with a trap then put a collar on him with one of those little metal screw up thingys on it and leave a message in there for his owners to get in touch?
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 15:29:24 PM »
 :(

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 15:00:17 PM »
Not the foggiest idea who he belongs to, haven't even seen said toms face, only his tail and bum!

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 14:56:13 PM »
Do you have any clue who he might belong to in the area at all? If so maybe just writing a note and putting it through their door explaining that hes spraying your house, explain the smell (and the difficulty of getting rid of it) and that the landlord will not be happy about it? (In the nicest way possible of course  :) )

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
Well, I thought I was winning. Came back from Italy and the smell was just about gone.

I've just had a bit of an extra sleep as I'm exhausted after Italy and the door has been sprayed again, it flipping reeks to high heaven! :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 20:55:23 PM »
He knows yours are there and marking it out as his territory cos he is jealous  :innocent:

I found in London the smell impossible to get rid of completely and where you have hard surfaces you cant soak them.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 18:20:36 PM »
I can't get close to him Steff, only actually saw him for the first time yesterday and it was a brief glimpse of a black bum and tail :evillaugh:

I've left the washing solution in the built in mat (because scrubbing is near impossible) and after wiping thoroughly I sloshed a lot of the solution all over the place, as you say, to let the enzymes eat away at the odour hopefully.

I'll see if I can get some leaflets but further progress will have to wait now until I get back from Italy next week, sigh.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 18:04:42 PM »

Little Miss is definitely spayed, I saw her bald patch when I first met her and had it confirmed by previous owners, no worries on that front. I think he's just caught wind of the local gossip that I'm a soft touch crazy cat lady and he should check out the digs, unfortunately said digs come with three residents.

Putting food out is a great idea but wouldn't that only encourage him to continue to visit which isn't really ideal with him being a sprayer, not to mention I can't afford to feed a 4th, even only partially!

I have just scrubbed my front door and cat flap with biological detergent but I know it's not got rid of the smell entirely.

:hug: My first thought was that Big Boy had heard about the five star accommodation at Chez Shona. :hug:

With the stuff Suzanne recommends, she says to to cover the area then leave it to soak - which would make sense with an enzyme-based product. Maybe that is worth a shot with a washing powder solution? Then wash it off and drown the area in cat repellent (which I hope won't repel the residents). Otherwise can you put a note on his collar (or makeshift collar) with your contact details saying that you will get him neutered IF he is a stray? They will have to contact you or suffer the consequences.  :sneaky:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 17:53:29 PM »
phone up your local CP and ask if they have any neutering leaflets you can post round your block.....

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 17:39:20 PM »
I don't think he's a stray but I never get more than passing glance of a black tail to see his condition properly! I don't even know when he's coming in, probably when I'm out as they're locked in at night.

I have never heard a cross word leave Dave's lips until this cat showed up but Dave has quickly learned some very colourful language! Said language is said from behind a protective cat flap with the back up of the two girls :evillaugh:

Little Miss is definitely spayed, I saw her bald patch when I first met her and had it confirmed by previous owners, no worries on that front. I think he's just caught wind of the local gossip that I'm a soft touch crazy cat lady and he should check out the digs, unfortunately said digs come with three residents.

Putting food out is a great idea but wouldn't that only encourage him to continue to visit which isn't really ideal with him being a sprayer, not to mention I can't afford to feed a 4th, even only partially!

I have just scrubbed my front door and cat flap with biological detergent but I know it's not got rid of the smell entirely.

Trapping and having him neutered (if needed) has crossed my mind but I do think there could very well be repercussions as I'm fairly certain he's owned and with my front garden being exposed I'd rather not have abuse shouted at me if I'm ever in my garden (you'd be unhappy if a surgical procedure was carried out on your cat unknowingly, however well intentioned).

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 17:21:58 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem.  Caught sight of the suspected offender yesterday, a beautiful big cat with a white back end and grey tabby front.  Unfortunately looks like it has gammy/gunky eyes so may have to try and catch it for a trip to vet.  Not only is house stinking of Tom cat, but Dillon is starting to go bald on his lower tummy which could be a sign of stress I think (did the same when Tom who we subsequently adopted after neutering was coming in uninvited).  Deffo think the cat radar says we are an easy touch for a free meal and any necessary medical treatment. 

Do you think would be worth putting some food down outside so there is no reason for him to come into your flat (especially now weather is getting milder.  Hope the situstion can get sorted for you.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 17:09:07 PM »
Yuk, not good  :hug:

If it's a stray cat is there a local CP that might be able to loan you a trap and help with neutering once you get back from your trip?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 17:00:15 PM »
So sorry you are having to put up with this  :hug: at least you have the knowledge to know how to rectify the problem so half the battle. I am just wondering about your latest girl are you certain she has been spayed ?if so Poor Tom is no doubt hungry and word has got around the puss community that you are a soft touch  :hug:
Really hope you can sort things quickly  :hug:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Totally fed up with a neighbourhood tom
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 16:51:27 PM »
About a week ago I came home to my flat stinking of what I thought was tom cat as it was a different smell to normal neutered cat wee. I hunted high and low for the source only to come home day after day to the same smell. It got to the point where I cleaned my entire floor on hands and knees with wipes in the hope I'd find the smell. Nothing.

Yesterday I realised that it was in fact all round my front door and cat flap and my laundry bin, which I put up against the front door whent he cat flap is locked to discourage break outs, also smells.

So there is a local tom, I think a black cat that taunts my lot through the cat flap, possibly unneutered, spraying all over my front door and I'm at my wits end with it.

My flat STINKS! Every time I open my front door I'm confronted by this overwhelming smell :sick: It's making me miserable and I'm going away on a study trip tomorrow and am so embarrassed that someone is going to be coming in to that smell, even though they know the whole saga :(

I just wanted to have a bit of a rant about it really.

Link to CatChat