Author Topic: New Arrival @ The Harbour - Big Ginger Boy due to RTA  (Read 16405 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: New Arrival @ The Harbour - Big Ginger Boy due to RTA
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 16:59:57 PM »
well initial discussion had and have told them I need an answer today so that we can move forward in the event of a need for emergency surgery if he deteriorates quickly as I know there is no way they could afford the surgery bill.

they are away to discuss and call me back in half hour..... I hope. ... playing hard ball but to be honest I've been patient enough....
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
  • Slave to: Davey & Tinker
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 16:48:34 PM »
I'm not surprised you feel it's driving you round the bend. It will be resolved in time, fingers crossed it's sooner rather than later! Let me know how the phone call goes, I'm eager to find out whether they will see sense! x
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 16:31:55 PM »
Poor Toby, let's hope this complication will make his owner see sense and sign him over to you  :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 16:28:24 PM »
thanks Kerri - they are due to call me anytime now... whole thing is driving me round the bend! :Crazy:

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 16:09:52 PM »
Oh dear, it sounds very stressful. Have you spoken again with the owners since this visit to the vets? Maybe the extra costs that probably haven't been considered (x ray and barium) will put them off (that sounds harsh but he's better off without them). I have to say I don't envy the position you are in at the moment but good on you for keeping your cool so far. It's clear you want what is best for Toby and I hope his owners agree and sign him over so you can then focus on his future, whether thats with you or in a new home!

Good luck xx
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 15:53:18 PM »
Update after LONG vet visit (with toby and 2 others) is that with toby toileting every 3 or 4 days he is (as we thought) backing up with dry hard poo so we are starting him on lactulose to see if this will help.

He has a bit of a temperature so has been given long acting antibiotic and we are keeping him on soft foods once again.  Vets concern is that he has developed a gastric / stomach hernia as a result of the RTA, which can take 3-4 weeks post trauma to reveal itself.  Because of the issues he has just now and lack of food intake and backing up he is reluctant to run a barium x-ray just now and wants to get him stabilised and see if we can return normal digestive function.

2 options are to wait and see how he goes and hope there are no further complications or do the x-ray and find out for sure. However if no x-rays are taken there is a chance that if it impacts into his chest it will affect his breathing and therefore need emergency surgery.  (giving the cliff notes versions here folks sorry )

Regardless of anything we need to get him as stable as possible and into a decent digestive routine however if we cannot then x-ray is in my opinion going to be necessary to find out what is going on.

As far as his owner is concerned I agree Sue - It the wrong decision for all the wrong reasons - they are doing it for them not him and my concern is that with a vet bill just now of around 400 they expect the vet to accept them to pay it up over 18mths - but what happens to his aftercare and if there is a need for barium x-ray and emergency or corrective surgery???

I could scream and in honesty the whole situation has us in a bit of a sticky wicket! 

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »

Poor Toby.  I suspect that his family are doing this for all of the wrong reasons too.  I wish they'd have some foresight and let him go.  I have my fingers crossed the vet can suss out what's wrong and make Toby a bit more comfortable.

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
bless him! good luck! x
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
Sorry I've not updated this saga is STILL going on.  They have now decided that they think they can with enough stretching, sacrifice and lending of money from friends they can afford to get Tobys treatment and now start to provide care for the other 2 cats they have.  Annoys me and I think despite the fact they do love him that they are making the decision for the very wrong reasons.

I am taking Toby to the vet today after a rotten week and to be honest I've given them longer than I meant to as I haven't been well either.  Toby has still been having problems with his guts and over the last 2 days has almost stopped eating altogether unless he has lots of encouragement and has become sore and withdrawn.  He still isn't going for a NO 2 until every 3 days despite how much is going in and as soon as you start him on some more solid food he becomes withdrawn, sick and goes off his food.

Hopefully vets will shine some more light on the subject and we have old girl Purdy and a new arrival (more on another thread shortly) going with him too.

Will let you all know how Toby gets on after our visit.  :hug: 

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
Just read through this what a sad story :(
If I was Toby's owner I'd be a/ devastated to hear he'd been in an RTA, b/ worried sick about him being in pain now, c/ be disgusted with myself if I was in a position where I haven't let my cats near a vet because I can't afford it. Not to miss that I'd be pining for him so badly and would do anything to have him home with me if that was the best option.

I hope they do sign him over though as they don't sound like very responsible owners. It's all good and well getting a nice cute cat and cooing over it, but if you truly care and love your pets you do all you can to ensure their safety and make sure they are as healthy as can be, whether that's by being well fed, vaccinated, wormed etc.
Poor Toby; give him a huge cuddle from me, he is adorable!! I get so upset sometimes when I hear stories like this, how can these people be allowed pets? rant over.

Hope they make the right decision x
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 22:34:15 PM »
Just wondering what the latest news is on Toby ?
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Me too hun. I hope they can do the best for him. I know it must be hard when you love an animal but all their care has to catered for and it does cost money to do it.

Love to all over at the harbour  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
Fingers crossed that they do the right thing by Toby and sign him over, as the others have said I would be at your door as soon as I knew you had him in your care.

As for can't afford to get them neutered???!!! People have different ways of loving their pets, but basic care is not to much to ask for surely?!

Good luck with this and I hope Toby goes on to a knew loving home in the future that can give him the time and affection he deserves.

Nicky

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
Hope the owner will do the decent thing and sign him over to you

I really hope so too.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 22:34:50 PM »
What a magnificent job you have done for Toby

Hope the owner will do the decent thing and sign him over to you
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 17:13:40 PM »
Just caught up with this. I really hope they sign him over! Why do people have animals, as much as they are a joy they are  financial commitment! You shouldn't enter into it unless you are prepared to take the associated costs! I wasn't excited about handing over money last week to the vets for the girls boosters but I do it, cos I know it has to be done!

I would make them pay a few hundred for his care, I bet they go running!

he is a beauty!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 18:29:30 PM »
well they did turn up :( however I have fully explained the multitude of possibilities ahead for Toby and the great expense it could incur and advised them that we feel it would be in their and his best interests to sign him over to us and to use funds they say they could scrape together for Toby to provide basic care for the existing 2 females cats they already have.

Whilst they are cared for in terms of food and affection neither (including Toby) have ever seen a vet, nor been vaccinated, neutered, wormed or treated for any flea's etc in all the time they have had them.  I have given the ' you need to be fully responsible for your pets' talk in a firm but kind manner and just hope that this has convinced them. They are away to discuss as a family however I believe I have convinced mum this is best for Toby - and her Son part of the way just leaves the daughter who wasn't there today.   So have asked them to decide using their head not their heart and allow us to do the best for him though equally we are not going to hold him indefinitely and the longer he is here the more his 'care bill' increases.

As an incentive I have told them we will absorb the fees incurred to date if they sign him over and concentrate the money instead on getting vaccinations, etc for the existing cats they have.  All we can do is wait and see really what happens next but have asked them to consider the possible outcomes and relative costs concerned and let me know their decision in the next couple of days.

On one hand they were surprised to see that he was happy and content and that he was doing ok and not depressed which I think made them feel better.

I know they do love him in their own way but they can't as far as I'm concerned provide him with the full care he needs just now or over the next few months - I just hope that they don't try to battle on but instead decide to do what is best for Toby and SIGN THE FORM!!!!   :naughty: :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 16:52:51 PM »
Hope Toby is still with you  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
Oh I so hope they don't turn up.  I don't mean that in a nasty way, just think it would be better all round if Toby went to a new home, where he will be properly taken care of and appreciated for the gorgeous boy he is.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
well its D- Day - Toby's owner is supposed to be here to see him this afternoon... will they turn up? will they listen? who knows!

will let you all know how it goes.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 19:12:26 PM »
poor boy, atleast he is in good hands now :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 17:54:27 PM »
Teresa - that's inspired!   :evillaugh:  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 16:37:55 PM »
What a shame that a really caring owner  doesnt come forward in the next day or so  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 14:19:31 PM »

Without wishing to sound mean spirited, perhaps you could even just say to them he'll be left with permanent toileting problems.  That will probably put them off once and for all.

He sounds like such a little cuddlebum, too.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 14:11:55 PM »
Don't let him go unless they pay some money. I'd try all sorts not to let a cat go back to a bad owner. Ask them to pay towards the treatment - even if the vet did this and you didn't cough up - £300 is a nice low sum for what he has been through , and when they back off from that get them to sign him over and maybe even offer to get the girls spayed. £60 for two spays will be cheaper than another RTA.......

With Mog, bless him, his owners have not been in touch since last Friday, when I told them his leg had been pinned.
I'm sure they are decent people but half of me thinks they will more likely go out and get a couple of kittens than even want to discuss taking him back - especially if he does have some permanent brain damage.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 14:07:11 PM »

Am so pleased to her that he's settling in well at The Harbour.  Wonder if you could fib to his owners and say due to a setback "he's no longer with you" (without wishing to tempt providence or the Gods in any way shape or form!)   Could he have, for example,  escaped through an open door on his way to his vet check up perhaps.....    :naughty:

:doh:  I am wicked!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 13:54:58 PM »
thankfully I don't think Toby is pining as he is so happy and content here now.  I was watching him yesterday afternoon settle down for a sleep and he just looked so content and peaceful.  :Luv2:  He is very happy in himself and despite wanting to get out of his pen to follow you around is very excited every time you speak to him and especially if you go into his pen to give him cuddles.

I've tried calling him by his actual name but he never responds though does to Toby - odd but hey ho maybe even he doesn't like being called Ghengis! lol

They have confirmed it will not be another week before they come out to see him to see if they think he is their cat - I just don't get it but will do my best for our Toby boy.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

I agree (again!)   I always try to remember that not everyone feels the same way about pet ownership as we do, but blimey - leaving it a week and more?!!  I'd be camped outside your door the minute I got the call.   I reckon the treatment costs should come to a good £2-3,000 if it deters them from collecting this lovely boy.  The saddest thing is wondering if Tobes pines for his familiar things, because all of this must be so bewildering for him.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
I'd stress how expensive he is going to be, could you ask them to cover the costs you have already incurred, sure that will encourage them! 

I was going to suggest the exact same thing  :sneaky: They really don't sound like very caring owners - I'd be racing round the second I got the phone call not leaving it over a week before booking in to see him. As for not even asking how he is  :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
I'd stress how expensive he is going to be, could you ask them to cover the costs you have already incurred, sure that will encourage them!  it worked with my Star who went in for a c section and never went home because the owner didn't want to pay

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
thanks guys - we are going to try all we can to get them to sign him over however if they insist on getting him back I have told them I will only release him once I know they have a plan of care in place.

To be honest I really don't want to let him go... SO difficult.  They are the type of owners who believe it is their right to have a pet and charities like PDSA should foot the bill for their care.  It really makes me mad as Toby is so sweet and deserves so much more.  I had to change Tuesday as I forgot I'm at the hospital in the afternoon thinking they would bring their visit sooner... but no, its now next Friday!!!  :tired:

What worries me is that there is a high chance Toby will develop arthritis as he gets a little older and depending on how well his healing is he may be a cat that is going to be safer indoors - and I don't think he would get that if he needed it and would they shell out the cash for painkillers for him.

Oh!!  I could scream at the moment over this and have had to really fight to maintain my cool at times as we just want what is best for Toby  :Luv2:  - just hope that we can sway her to sign him over!  :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »
Just been reading this lovely boy's story.  It's heartbreaking to think that he's been through so much, and yet his current owners are in no hurry to recover him.

I can't help agreeing that in the circumstances he'd be better off in care until he can be re-homed.  I know someone who has a cat - unneutered, not vaccinated or chipped and no insurance.  There's no doubt in my mind she loves her cat, but I'm constantly nagging her to get insurance if nothing else.  She says she can't afford it, but regularly buys herself new outfits and make up.  If she can afford those, she can afford a basic insurance policy.   

Even if you can't afford to get your cat neutered, you can try to make sure they don't get out.  Unless of course you subscribe to the "cruel to keep 'em in" theory.

Poor Tobes.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 19:48:55 PM »
I agree to hun.  and with everything Edd has said.  If poss try and get Tobes signed over. I would be worried for his future care back with them.  They might love him and the others but if money is so tight and they cant afford neutering/spayor any medical bills how can they give the basic car a cat needs. 

Love to you all and give tobes a cuggle from me

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 19:45:25 PM »
quite a dilemna at the moment though I will suggest that if they cannot afford his care they should consider signing him over to us as we won't hold him indefinitely for them.
thoughts would be appreciated....???    ;)
Agree with this totally Sarah - you will be able to find him a good home as well as the proper care and love he needs at the moment  :hug:

What about the 2 un-neutered females  :scared: Could they get neutering vouchers/reduced cost neutering - sounds like the poor mites could do with getting away from the owners as well?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 19:31:25 PM »
Wee update on Toby.  He is doing much better and providing he rests his pain levels are subsiding which is good.  he is eating really well and generally a very happy boy. :)

On a good though possibly concerning note we have traced his owners.  on 1 hand this is good if we can get him home however said owner has severe money issues has 2 other un-neutered females cos she can't afford to get them done who roam locally and I'm not convinced that she can afford to pay for follow up care though we could loan a cage for cage rest.  Mother of said 2 females was killed on the same road around a year ago and she has lost other cats on the same road.

The other thing that bothers me is that in any of the conversations or emails we have sent to and fro not once have they asked how Toby is.  :tired:  Not even tonight when I told them that we believe that Toby is definitely their cat. Vet has advised they come see him to 'check' he is their cat - though I know he is and I have told them that until such times as everything is in place and she can confirm she has the money for follow up treatment or an agreement with her vet we are not willing to release Toby into her care holding him back on welfare grounds.

Also, don't seem to be in too much of a hurry as they aren't coming out to see him until Tuesday.... quite a dilemna at the moment though I will suggest that if they cannot afford his care they should consider signing him over to us as we won't hold him indefinitely for them.

thoughts would be appreciated....???    ;)

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 14:33:25 PM »
 :Luv:  he is so lovely  :Luv:

Sending my love and all my get well thoughts over to him  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 00:07:08 AM »
Ducha moves things around in his cage too and makes me laugh cos he is so clever  ;D

Pleaased that Toby sems to be doing well  :hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 22:00:19 PM »
well we have been giving Toby small regular meals throughout the day to encourage him to eat and ease rate of food going through... he ate half this morning and has cleared his other 2 bowls today which was great news and though not drinking much water he has taken some cat milk with his wet food... so that's a good start!   ;)

On the up side - for him - he has decided he doesn't like his pen arrangements  :tired: and has taken to moving the furniture around to his liking!  gotta love kitties like this - so he obviously feeling more settled today and certainly he has seemed happier if still a tad sore.

No more poo thus far though I am kind of waiting in anticipation as yesterday this caused him quite a lot of pain to pass.  That said his bladder is working fine!!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 19:56:38 PM »
hope he starts to eat soon  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 19:17:32 PM »
What a lovely ginger boy Toby is  :Luv2: :Luv2: Hope his recovery goes well  :hug:

Link to CatChat