Author Topic: Older Blind Cat Needing Home (Homed)  (Read 10314 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Older Blind Cat Needing Home (Homed)
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2011, 14:48:06 PM »
Great news, think it will be safe to move now  :)

If you can get to hear of any updates it would be lovely if you could post a new thread in cat's stories section  :thanks:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 14:50:50 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Older Blind Cat Needing Home
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 13:55:49 PM »
Yeayyy!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 13:49:08 PM »
Just an update to say this lovely old lady has gone to her new home today in Kent... Transfer at Peterborough services means she'll be nestled next to a new fire in approx. 2 hours!!
Thank you to everyone who offered help and/or a home... I think she'll be very loved and happy with Frank!  :Luv:
Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Fantastic news,so very pleased that the little love is going to have a new lovely home. :Luv:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 21:09:06 PM »
Yes please.  thanks!
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 20:54:36 PM »
That's lovely news  :) shall I leave in this section until she has gone to her new home with Frank?

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Re: Older Blind Cat Needing Home - Home Found!
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 20:16:12 PM »
I'm really please to say this old lady has found a new home  :Luv: A lovely man called Frank is having her.  So, we've got to try and arrange a transport run from Newark to Kent now!
I had a chat with Frank today, and he sounds lovely! I think she'll be very loved and get lots of gentle snuggles for whatever time she has left.  Thank you to Kate for all your help, and Frank for offering this sweetie a home.  :Luv2:
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 14:13:47 PM »
Awww bless her and a gentle snuggle from me please to her  :hug:

Hope that all goes well  :)

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 13:57:37 PM »
She's hopefully going to Kent, yes.  The home sounds ideal for her.  Just got to try to arrange some transport now.
She's a little runny at the mo, so is on sensitivity food and FortiFlora to try to solidify things, so I'd like to try and get her balanced beofre another trip in a car.
She is fine thought, eating well, bright and active, and I'd like to get her onto Metacam, again, once things settle, as she seems quite painful on her back end, which I suspect is arthritic pain.
She says a big fire warmed hello to all the people who think about her!
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
I've amended the title and will move this to 'Cats needing homes' now puss is safe.  Is the home in Kent going ahead?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Older Blind Cat Needing Home - Only has until Monday
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 14:02:39 PM »
She's gorgeous, and I'd guess that she probably can see light/shade, and that's why she seems better outside.  I know that when my boy Max went blind he could still make out a tiny bit.  It amazes me how resiliant they are  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 13:08:42 PM »
AWWW bless her  :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »
She's finding her way round fine, remarkably well, so it confirms that I believe there's a tiny bit of sight.  She had one accident missing the tray, so I cleaned up and moved the tray to the same spot and bless her, she's not missed her stray since!! She sniffs out her food dish, and finds her tray, and has little wanders around.
Still not any offers of a home, bar one, which does sound really nice, but it's in Kent, so transport would need to be arranged.
She's had a wander, has a wee and had some brekkie, so it's now back to the fire!
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 14:31:07 PM »
She's lovely,how is she finding her way around"her"room,does she use a litter tray? :Luv:

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 18:29:57 PM »
Oh bless her little heart  :Luv: I've been following her story and strangely had a dream last night that I adopted her!
I wish I could offer her a home but I don't think having another cat would be fair on Lacie.
I hope she gets a loving forever home soon

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 15:28:39 PM »
 :Luv2:  hope she gets her forever fire place soon

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 15:23:37 PM »
Old girlie asked me to write this on her behalf...

Dear kind cat people,
I am old, yes, and blind too, but I would love a forever home with someone special who can give me cuddles and reassurance! Ideally, you would have some form of fire... be it gas, halogen or open, I don't mind! But my foster mum has brought me up into her office, and put the halogen fire on and, well, it's fab! I am currently sat washing my paws and face and am all toasty warm. My neighbour is the feisty deaf one, Maggie Moo, who, because I can't see her, and have not gone near her, she has not swatted me! She's asleep in the bed next to me. I think we have both been through a lot, and we both love a warm bed next to a fire!
I look forward to hearing from a possible new mum and/or dad...
Lots of love
Old gal xxxx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
What an adorable little lady -  :Luv: :Luv: xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
UPDATE:
What a sweet girl this old cat is! I’d keep her in a shot if I could!  :Luv:
I believe this old lady needs a home as an only cat, or in a household with only a few older/special needs cats, as she really is searching for human reassurance (understandingly) and lots of things scare her at the minute.  :scared:
When you touch her, she usually jumps and sometimes hisses as a fear response until she quickly realises she’s safe and it’s a human.  Because her hearing is not perfect either, I think it all contributes to a scary life for her at the minute. Once she realises it’s a caring human hand, she’s off into major flirt mode!  I love her!  My other cats have approached her and, as soon as she hears/senses them, she hisses and panics, so I don’t think it would be fair to place her in a multi-cat home with younger, inquisitive cats – it’d scare and unbalance her too much, and that’s the last thing an old/blind/medicated cat needs.   I used my sweetest/gentlest boy, Leon, and when she sniffed at him, she just hissed and he fell down all submissive! She didn’t really react to the dogs, but they were only allowed to approach once and very carefully.
She sat on my knee last night for an hour, and it took about 20 minutes for her to relax her body.  When she did, she just lied down enjoying the head/neck rubs.  After about half an hour though, she totally relaxed and the front paws got stretched out and vibrated in a chilled stretch!  Then the head went down on my knee, and she was off in twitchy, sleep heaven!
I have just take her out into the cat run to get some photos (difficult to get as she wanders constantly), and let her have a little fresh air in safety.  The weirdest thing is that, for as much as she wandered, she kept walking to the door! And, when she approached the step on the door, she lifted her paw as she reached it, so I am wondering if there’s a tiny (and I am talking tiny) bit of sight in one eye and, in the brighter light, slight sight is there.  She also walked the perimeter of the run without walking into the mesh, so I think there is at most a tiny bit of vision there.  Inside the house there is nothing thought, so maybe it’s more of a light response.
So, in terms of re-homing, anyone who can offer this lady a home based on the above and her needs, PLEASE let me know, and then we can look into sorting transport out etc. I would LOVE to keep her, but having a busy business where we are up and down, in and out all day, and I locum nurse here and there, plus all the other cats/animals, I know this is not fair for her.  I also have an oldie deaf cat who is feisty, and gives the younger ones a good old wallop when they go near her, so may swat a blind cat unable to see her! A new home has GOT to be a home in her best interests. I am just so glad we saved her!
Turns out that she was found wandering in the middle of the road and a man picked her up.  Someone has been feeding her as a stray, but did not want to take her on, and had no idea she was blind, so how long she’s been without sight, nobody knows.  Judging by her fear at the moment, and the speed in which blindness from hypertension advances, it might not have been that long, but too long for re-attachment of the retina.
From a medical perspective, anyone adopting her needs to understand that she will require medication for life.  She has a quarter of an Istin tablet currently once a day, and is such a foodie that I put it in a chunk of cat meat, and down it goes. She will require blood pressure checks on a regular basis and the meds dose tweaking accordingly, and will likely be moved onto more medication.  I can happily email a copy of her history from the practice that was holding her.  There is a full history, along with blood results, which they gave to me.  I am going to worm and flea her today, so this will also be done, and her nails need a little clip as they are getting caught on her bed.  One of the nurses also said that her breath smelled, so my vet nurse friend is coming around tonight, and we will try to assess her teeth.  Basically, she will cost more than the average/young cat to care for, so a possible adopter needs to be happy about the possible financial implications. I have some Istin over left from my last oldie, Agatha, so I’m happy to send her with these.
I feel she will have a forever home for months, not years (I’d love to be wrong!) I think she will be the most perfect golden oldie and give someone tons of love for whatever time she has left. 
My email address is: lizstokes@tiscali.co.uk
Please email me if you can offer a home, and if you’d like her history/results emailing.
Thank you in advance for all your help with this little old lady!  :Luv2:
Liz
(Moderators, please feel free to move this thread if you feel it’s more appropriate)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:36:33 AM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 23:02:29 PM »
sooo glad shes safe with you - she sounds fab bless her, I think you are amazing taking her in and so relieved she didnt have to be pts . I couldnt post on this before as it was worrying me too much- i wanted to jump in and offer help but i know i have no knowledge of caring for an older cat with needs and an older cat needs lots of love and a quiet place to rest, my house has the love in multiples but not the last!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 23:00:18 PM »
Quick update...
Little old girl is home with me now. She is VERY affectionate and loves a fuss and a knee!! I'm going to assess her for a day or two, and then update the forum. She's blind as a bat, and can hear, but has a typical old cat hearing so responds well to loudly clicked fingers etc. Eating well, on meds and very bright, although with all things considered with her health, might be a forever home for months, not years with this old girl.
I'll keep you all updated, and post some more photos too.
Liz

:hug: Ahhh so pleased she is safe with you.  TBH I thought all cats were deaf most of the time  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 22:47:24 PM »
She sounds lovely!
I adopted my precious Golden Oldie who was on Fortekor for kidney failure and had a tumour and he was only expected to live a couple of months......he lived with me for 2 more years.

Awwww  :hug:

Offline TESS

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 22:37:37 PM »
She sounds lovely!
I adopted my precious Golden Oldie who was on Fortekor for kidney failure and had a tumour and he was only expected to live a couple of months......he lived with me for 2 more years.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 20:52:14 PM »
 :hug: :hug: Great stuff!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 17:24:35 PM »
Great news  :) She sounds adorable, look forward to updates

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 17:22:38 PM »
She sounds lovely  :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 17:07:17 PM »
Quick update...
Little old girl is home with me now. She is VERY affectionate and loves a fuss and a knee!! I'm going to assess her for a day or two, and then update the forum. She's blind as a bat, and can hear, but has a typical old cat hearing so responds well to loudly clicked fingers etc. Eating well, on meds and very bright, although with all things considered with her health, might be a forever home for months, not years with this old girl.
I'll keep you all updated, and post some more photos too.
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 22:58:47 PM »
No definite to my knowledge. Might be worth emailing.

Offline JillE

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 20:35:46 PM »
Has anybody actually offered this cat a firm home yet?

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »
Agatha was lovely  :Luv: I'm tempted but i have 3 rescues,almost 17,almost 16 and? perhaps 15,i have had the 17 year old since she was 6 weeks old,got the 16year old when he was 3 months old,the third one i've had when i took her after some "person!" chucked her when she was pregnant,now had her over 13 years. I really hope some lovely person can have this lovely girl.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 23:11:25 PM »
Don't worry Janey!

"Update on this old boy...
He's actually a she! The thyroid result was low, not high. She's on Istin, the blood pressure drug, and will require regular blood pressure monitoring until the dose is tweaked to suit her and the pressure result stabilises. FELV/FIV negative. She's slightly anaemic, and kidney parameters slightly raised so due to age/ blood results a renal wet/dry diet would be ideal.
I am going to collect her on Thursday and bring her to my house. The practice is happy to care for her knowing she has somewhere to go.
So, ideally I need to know for sure who is willing to offer a permanent home, and where abouts in the country you are.
Thank you to everyone for offering temporary/permanent homes, which has helped save this little old blind girly!
Liz"

From CatChat.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 23:02:45 PM »
Any news?

Offline TESS

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 21:16:25 PM »
Agatha is so lovely :Luv2:
I am in Surrey and posted on catchat as well.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 16:54:54 PM »
 :Luv2: Beautiful

I only adopt oldies too  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 16:38:21 PM »
Agatha is lovely  ;D

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 15:16:47 PM »
Same here... my last oldie, Agatha, was late teens, hyperthyroid, hypertensive and slightly renal.  I only had her for five months; her body let her down in the end, but she was much improved on meds.  I was just so gutted that her little legs gave up on her, not the other problems, and I had to decide to let her go to sleep. Tough decision. But, I tried to look on the upside... she had a PTS sentence on her, so she got 5 spoiled rotten additional months with us. I will always have oldies now... purfect little souls!
And here she is...  :Luv:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 15:18:34 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 14:43:39 PM »
Loads of luck for her, bless her xx

My Pepper is deaf and blind and was found to be hyperthyroid just before we adopted him.  He is on thyroid meds and Istin for hypertension and Fortekor for heart.  He is so much better thought since his thyroid stablised you wouldn't believe.  His other values have also improved so anyone lucky enough to adopt this older girl may find a vast improvement all round once everything is under control.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 14:45:06 PM by Janeyk »

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 13:47:13 PM »
Update on this old boy...
He's actually a she! The thyroid result was low, not high. She's on Istin, the blood pressure drug, and will require regular blood pressure monitoring until the dose is tweaked to suit her and the pressure result stabilises. FELV/FIV negative. She's slightly anaemic, and kidney parameters slightly raised so due to age/ blood results a renal wet/dry diet would be ideal.
I am going to collect her on Thursday and bring her to my house. The practice is happy to care for her knowing she has somewhere to go.
So, ideally I need to know for sure who is willing to offer a permanent home, and where abouts in the country you are.
Thank you to everyone for offering temporary/permanent homes, which has helped save this little old blind girly!
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
I'll ask my friend to get bloods run tomorrow: T4, general bloods and FELV/FIV tests, so we know exactly where he stands health wise. I've told her whatever happens, get the bloods done, and DON'T let him be PTS. I can always collect him and see if can can sort transport to a foster/adoption home.
Thanks so much for all the offers. Such a lovely feeling that the sweet old boy will be safe and loved
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
also posted this on cat chat - i could collect him from notts today or tomorrow and bring him here temporarily until we can sort transport to new home.  happy to take him 100 or so miles in whichever direction he's going if that helps.  can't offer to drive all the way to aberdeen or kent but can meet someone part way.

Link to CatChat