Author Topic: How much do your cats cost you a month?  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: How much do your cats cost you a month?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 19:06:37 PM »
That sounds a lot for RC sensitivity - does he get through 2kg a week?  :Crazy:

It's the wet pouches Mark, he eats a minimum of 3 pouches a day  :shy:

To be fair I would get my council tax paid but even so I'd be up  :censored: creek with no paddle so please keep fingers crossed that I never need to claim!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: How much do your cats cost you a month?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 19:03:05 PM »
That sounds a lot for RC sensitivity - does he get through 2kg a week?  :Crazy:

I know what you mean about the benefit system not being fair. In other countries it is based on previous salary but reduces over time (as an incentive to not stay on benefits) When I was made redundant in 1998, I had worked solidly since the Monday after my 16th birthday (in 1978) and yet was told I would get £50 a week. Also, I would get no help with mortgage interest as I took my mortgage out after 1992 (had I rented, the rent would have been paid) The helpfully informed me that after 6 months, I would get 10% towards council tax. Obviously it wasn't sustainable - I needed to get back into work but it would have been silly to take the first job that came along rather than hold out for something better paid using my skillset. It took me around 4 - 5 months to find something in my own field and I ended up overdrawn by £1000s and had to remortgage to pay it back - and that was being really careful with money.

I have never worked out cat costs. I certainly don't use stronghold every month and we haven't had fleas since Clapton got them 5 years ago. I don't do it at all in deep winter then about every 6 weeks and only monthly between June & September.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
How much do your cats cost you a month?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 18:38:47 PM »
As I work in the Public Sector I recently looked into how much Job Seekers Allowance was in case the worst happens and then I don't find another job to go to straight away. I've worked all my life including part-time jobs whilst doing my A-levels, never been out of work for even a day - I'd get the princely sum of £65 a week!  :Crazy:

Anyway, I started totting up my outgoings to see how much everything was. Lets just hope I don't find myself out of work as the boys alone would take up over 50% of the monthly income!

Frontline - £5.66 for both cats (done monthly)
Drontal - £1.14 a month for both cats (based on quarterly worming)
Boosters - £5.00 a month for both cats (£60 a year)
Feliway - £15.00 a month (not essential)
RC sensitivity - £60 a month (Riley only)
Bozita - £22 a month (Lu only)
Cats Best Litter - £18 a month (could switch to a cheaper brand)
Insurance - £14 for both cats

Total £140.80 which is over half of the total monthly income if I was unfortunate enough to find myself on JSA  :Crazy: That would leave £119 to pay all bills and food - simply impossible! The only saving could be ditching the Feliway and switching to a cheaper litter. Riley's food is essential and Lu's food, although very good quality, is one of the cheapest around.

Link to CatChat