Author Topic: "Foster" boy Lazarus - OFFICIALLY ADOPTED!  (Read 26256 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: "Foster" boy Lazarus.
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 17:56:10 PM »
If you find yourself saying 'Show Mummy Daddy your bot bots' followed by 'nice clean botty' and a celebratory pat on the rump area you know you've lost it. When Riley had his tummy problems he used to have dribbles over his rear end and tread in it but I have never said such a thing and certainly don't say it several times a day  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 17:49:30 PM »

I really DO want to know the ins and out of the cats arse !   :evillaugh:

Same here  :evillaugh:

We are not mad - OH even texted me today to ask if he had been again today   :shy:

Anyway, he is eating well and has had me pinned to the bed for the last 2 hours  :Luv2: - every time I move he repositions himself but MUST have body contact such as a paws over arms etc.

I forgot to say that he was standing up against the window today watching pigeons. The first time he has ignored me and didn't give me a guilt trip when I went downstairs
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 17:12:50 PM »
This threads deteriating by the post  :rofl:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 16:16:41 PM »
I shouldnt laugh - but Ive just been inspecting Celyns backside with a torch, making sure that he didnt have a poo stuck ....  The torch was so as not to freak him out with bright lights in his face !

I got caught by OH - who said hes seen it all now - I really DO want to know the ins and out of the cats arse !   :evillaugh:

All is well - I just dont know the features of his rear end yet !  :shy:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 16:17:57 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 15:01:02 PM »
If I need to, I will start weighing it  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 14:54:56 PM »
well Lazzie's come home and no mistake - he's already got you on full-time poo and wee watch, Mark ;D

it's going to take time for you to understand his system and hopefully all this is normal - and acceptable - for his condition
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 14:48:55 PM »
Unfortunately the poo isn't moving as freely as before. I'm hoping that the large amounts we had over the last few days was what was backed up in his system and what we are getting now is more normal rather than a slow-down - I'm sure the vet can only empty the end bit?

Although he has been, there was just one lump this morning and another this afternoon - on the floor this time. He seems OK in himself and is still eating fine so maybe I am being overcautious. I spoke to Sharon and said that maybe I need to cut back a bit on the fibre. It is hard to gauge as they say 1/2 tsp a day -  but bearing in mind a lot of cats never finish a meal, I just add some to each meal with plenty of water added. His poos are large and very dry/rubbery as if he is dehydrated, but he is doing big wees. I will see how he goes between now and tomorrow morning. I was a bit surprised that he wasn't given a stool softener or laxative, although they are quite harsh so if fibre alone works, that is so much better for him. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2011, 20:47:24 PM »
Awww... Im so happy for you and him  :hug:

I too m having to learn not to check on our two new purries every 5 minutes ... hard isnt it ?  :shy: :evillaugh:

Very  :shy:

The thing is, usually when we think they are pining for us, they are fast asleep; as was often the case if I was held up a college. I would have vision of Alice crying piteously but 9/10 she was on her back snoring and didn't even wake up  :-[

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2011, 19:56:56 PM »
When I got the Flectabed earlier, I said to OH that before I went out, Lazarus said he would like a Flectabed like Kylie & Alice have but he understood if he wasn't loved enough to have one"  :evillaugh: - OH said he can have anything he wants  :evillaugh:

Love it!  :evillaugh:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2011, 19:34:35 PM »
Awww... Im so happy for you and him  :hug:

I too m having to learn not to check on our two new purries every 5 minutes ... hard isnt it ?  :shy: :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2011, 19:11:19 PM »
Brilliant updates Mark and Lazarus is gorgeous - well done to you and Dennis for giving him the security and TLC he obviously needed  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
It is so difficult to not keep going up there every 5 minutes but he really needs to sleep and he won't when he has company. That is the only way I can convince myself to leave him be for a couple of hours. OH says he must have cabin fever but he has a small bedroom and bathroom + a staircase to himself + he can hop up onto the window ledge and watch the world go by as well as the pigeons  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
Oh Mark, glad I popped on this thread to check for photos. He is ADORABLE  :Luv: .....what a gorgeous old lad. And I think his name's lovely. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: well done for taking on sorry I mean fostering Lazarus  ;) Sounds like he has truly got you and Dennis under his paw.

Andrea x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
He is  :Luv2:

I spoke to Sharn on Saturday - she runs a cattery and also has donated 2 of her pens to the branch. She said that running a cattery, hundreds of cats pass through each year, but once in a while, there is a special one that really gets to her and Lazarus is one of those  :Luv2: - she said she would be made up if we adopt him.

She is coming over at the end of the week with Caroline to see him - speaking of which, Caroline said it would be great if we adopt him - however, as Sharon, she thinks we should proceed with caution and make sure that his health stabilises before making any hasty decisions - she said it is still early days and I didn't see the awful state he was in when he first came into the branch.

Anyway, yet again, a nice big poo in the tray this morning. Sharon suggested keeping a diary and OH agrees - but I am watching like a hawk for any movements:-:

OH informs me that Laz decided 2.30am was a good time to get up and feed him  :evillaugh: - he asked if he should give in. There are biscuit but I guess he wants the attention as well. I have suggested keeping a small amount in a tupperware or a pouch and dish handy  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:06:30 AM by Mark »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
He sounds completely adorable Mark  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
Mark I have many short term fosters that have turned into long term fosters due to the fact that they had medical problems, surprising how many don't want or can not be bothered to give a tablet once a day or even a tablet twice a day.  So he could be with you quite a while, like yourself I would mainly deal with the ones with problems be it medical or behaviour and neither are fixed overnight.

I am sure he will blossom with your care and commitment, hope he gets some balance to his life and health soon.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Looks like we are going to foster from tomorrow
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
I have a disabled kitten cat with bowel problems due to her mobility problems, she is on daily lactulose but i also give her tablets called Cistapride. They are very difficult to obtain and quite expensive but work by increasing muscle contractions in the bowel. Another option is a total colectomy but i think this is rather a drastic measure and probably not recommended. I have tried pumpkin, bark elm, asparagus and the granules added to food prescribed by the Vet and none of them worked for my cat. I would be very interested to hear of any other remedies and if you have any success with Miralax.
Good Luck with Lazarus.
x.

I know every case is different but the Peridale with extra water in food seems to be doing the trick for him   :Luv2:

The great thing is it isn't a drug. I read there are side effects with cistapride.

I also got him something called pro-fibre which is a mix of various fibres with a probiotic added.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-supplements-prebiotic-probiotic-products-c-5_172/protexin-pro-fibre-for-dogs-cats-800g-pot-p-769 (It was £18 from the vet so we know where the next pot will be coming from  :shify: )
You get a huge pot which will probably last for months.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2011, 01:32:13 AM »
I still can't believe how quickly he accepted everything. Already I am getting full tummy exposure and being used as a leaning post when he is having a wash. He has a lovely habit of needing body contact. Tonight it was a paw on my nose - he kept it there for ages. Already I'm really confident that we can manage his health issues. It is amazing how cats that have been through so much and still poorly manage to be so loving and upbeat - he is just  :Luv2:

I got him some RC "Extreme Furball" and he just loves it  :Luv2:(it has double psyllium)

When I got the Flectabed earlier, I said to OH that before I went out, Lazarus said he would like a Flectabed like Kylie & Alice have but he understood if he wasn't loved enough to have one"  :evillaugh: - OH said he can have anything he wants  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:34:25 AM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2011, 17:08:18 PM »
I've no idea how I missed this thread!!!

So pleased that Lazarus is with you Mark, if this darling furkid is to stand a chance, then its definitey with you and Dennis  :Luv2:

He looks to be settling well with you both, I think its a lovely thing you're doing  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2011, 13:22:50 PM »
So pleased that Lazarus is doing well  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »
OH stayed with him again last night. At 8.30am I took him up the last 1/3rd can of Whiskas supermeat mushed up with LOTS of water and some Peridale and he attacked it with gusto. I know there is a big difference between a proper appetite and a hyper-t one but I would guess he is stabilising by now.

He is getting enough fibre in his wet so I will try giving him a few Hill's senior biscuits as well. The only concern is that I haven't seen him drink water from the bowl and the peridale soaks up a lot of water.

I have just been informed that Laz started face patting for food around 4am  :evillaugh:

He had food there but he obviously wanted supermeat rather than felix in jelly  :evillaugh:

ETA - After having coffee, I went up to a nice big poo deposit in his tray  :) - may seem a small thing but with megacolon it is a matter of life & death whether the system is working.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:38:04 AM by Mark »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 02:35:08 AM »
Once Lazarus was in the care of Canterbury CP his future was secure; you are taking care of his physical and mental wellbeing.  :hug: Whatever happens from here, it is certain he won't end up PTS without very good reason and he won't end up on the streets. 
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 01:31:43 AM »
I don't think he could be in a better place for his recovery and retirement home :) He's a handsome lad, love that tail :Luv2:

Dave gets his PL out all the time, he likes to suckle and knead on anything vaguely wool like, he's just been doing it to a chunky knitted bed sock, he kneads, suckles and purrs for about 10 minutes, the PL comes out during this little episode and at the end he gives it a good clean. Will be an interesting conversation if I ever meet a man :-[ :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 23:46:23 PM »
Don't s'pose Lazarus could pop up to Brum to remind Fred of the eating from cat plates and peeing & pooing in trays routine?  Ah well; no harm in asking ...  ;)

Am so pleased all has gone OK so far and delighted to hear that we ain't the only ones that occupy different rooms to accomodate newbies (and not so newbies for that matter ....  :-[ )

Note of caution duly taken on board Sharon but think we all know that he stands a better chance with Mark & Dennis than with most  :)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 22:35:15 PM »
I hope not to put a dampter on things, but i just want peeps to be realistic that Lazareth came into our care and in our care in a poor way and he has shown remarkable recovery.. We just wanted to get him out a pen and see if that cheered him up abit, but he has been through alot... So fosterers of whatever rescue should remain realistic in expectations... But it would seem he is doing very well.. Its important we keep that thyroid under control and his weight and it may take a time to sort out.. But he is a prime example of a stray cat that has come on hard times and the reason he is called Lazareth is that he was due to be Pts not once but 3 times! The last time i was on the phone to the vet receoption seeing if we could give him a reprieve until we could get him in care just before Christmas... We know very little of his earlier background and no one is really sure on his age either... But it is very true that without the efforts of the team here, he would not be with us now... So fingers crossed all his health issues stablise and he has a happy, healthy future, wherever that may be..

Sharon I don't think anyone is under estimating the difficulties that Lazareth has had in the past, I know myself that many are turned out onto the streets to fend for themselves as well when it is found they have a medical problem.  I have had cats in that have come in as strays that have had pins in their legs that the vets estimated should have been removed  18 months earlier and cats that are 18 years old thrown out because they had HyperT and had to fend for themselves until they were brought into rescue. 
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 22:27:38 PM »
Pleased to report that appetite still good and he has produced another huge amount of poo  :Luv2:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2011, 20:42:30 PM »
I hope not to put a dampter on things, but i just want peeps to be realistic that Lazareth came into our care and in our care in a poor way and he has shown remarkable recovery.. We just wanted to get him out a pen and see if that cheered him up abit, but he has been through alot... So fosterers of whatever rescue should remain realistic in expectations... But it would seem he is doing very well.. Its important we keep that thyroid under control and his weight and it may take a time to sort out.. But he is a prime example of a stray cat that has come on hard times and the reason he is called Lazareth is that he was due to be Pts not once but 3 times! The last time i was on the phone to the vet receoption seeing if we could give him a reprieve until we could get him in care just before Christmas... We know very little of his earlier background and no one is really sure on his age either... But it is very true that without the efforts of the team here, he would not be with us now... So fingers crossed all his health issues stablise and he has a happy, healthy future, wherever that may be..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 15:51:44 PM »
Am sure that you and Dennis will padlock the door and search her after the visit to ensure his new boy is where he is supposed to be :rofl:

Yep  :evillaugh:

Seriously I just think there are still concerns about his health and it could all end in tears - I really hope not though. We will do our darnedest  :Luv2:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 15:45:38 PM »
Am sure that you and Dennis will padlock the door and search her after the visit to ensure his new boy is where he is supposed to be :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 15:33:36 PM »
oscar gives his pl a clean from time to time, I'm sure all nice boys do!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 14:41:08 PM »
Mark , he is lovely. Another failed foster I am guessing............................. :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2011, 14:27:32 PM »
OH was woken up by a gentle paw patting his face this morning  :Luv2:

Sharon is reining in our enthusiasm. She said to remember he is a short-term foster and if he stabilises, he will be up for homing  :evillaugh: - Well for the record, she will need a battering ram to get him  :evillaugh:

Anyway, off to the pet shop for a special brush and to see if they have any other temping (but healthy high fibre  ;) ) treats for him. Alice is getting extra attention as she keeps sniffing my hands & clothes and knows there is another kitty around (luckily 3 floors up  :evillaugh: )

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 14:09:58 PM »
 :evillaugh: sorry, shouldn't, but too funny. Soon as a I read the title, I figured, "yeah right, fosterer... :evillaugh:"
This boy has landed on his paws and he knows it. Well done both of you.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 14:06:42 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaw, bless, all he wanted was some human company!
TBH, I'm not the greatest fan of semi/long-haired cats, but I'll make an exception for Lazarus (that face :Luv2:).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
He looks and sounds adorable  :Luv:  I suspect he has found his forever home!

With regards to pink lipstick  ;)  Jaffa will flash his when he's washing and he was neutered at 5 months old.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
He does seem to have a certain charm. Sharn phoned this morning to see how he is. She said owning a cattery, hundreds of cats pass through in a year but once in a while, one really gets to you and Lazarus is one of those. Sharn & Caroline are paying a visit next week to see him  :evillaugh:

One thing that does see to entertain him is from the dormer at the front, he can see the pigeons landing on the roof below.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:25:25 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: he sounds to have settled in right away with you and Denis Mark.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
Well it looks like nearly failed fosterer Mark!

Its nice that he is a happy boy and if laid back may not be noticed by a certain little lady ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
How was our boy's first night Mark?

OH stayed up in the attic room "to keep an eye on him" - obviously don't want to put Kylie's nose out of joint so I was available for her  :evillaugh:

Anyway, no litter tray issues - lots of poo and wee; all neatly in tray with poo covered  :)

He is happily eating Felix pouches topped up with lots of water and periactin. He is on the 5th pouch since he arrived (although the first one was the only one that was completely finished) as well as quite a lot of r/d dry. I know it is low calorie but he is eating so much wet that the biscuits are a bonus + the fibre can only be good?

OH reports that (apart from trips to tray) he didn't leave the bed, although slept on different parts. He is only happy with body parts draped over people's arms or legs  :Luv2:

OH said in Laz' voice "Dennis is my new daddy. Mark is my new maid"  :tired: :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat