Cat Rescue & Rehoming > Rescue & Rehoming General

Help for Cat rescues from Pets At home ........

<< < (2/4) > >>

bunglycat:

--- Quote from: Teresa Pawcats on June 21, 2012, 10:21:48 AM --- I have just been looking at your accounts as verified by charities commision and I have had to stop as I find it too upsetting, salaries £39771, vet bill only £19464 please tell me I am misreading,why is double the vet bill spent on salaries.
I do know one thing £39771 should be spent on neutering and volunteers brought in to replace paid workers.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends18/0001058218_ac_20101231_e_c.pdf

--- End quote ---

Sorry,
But why does anyone in rescue have the right to question what another rescue does with it's money !?
Every rescue is run different from what I see and do not think anyone has a right to criticise  it unless the animals aren't being looked after properly which clearly is not the case.
Please stop imposing your views on others , everyone runs things differently !

I think the self cleaning litter trays are great idea for the rescue when there are so many and the staff can then concentrate on other important stuff, .

As reagarding only using volunteers, well that's not feasible as many people who volunteer could suddenly stop , be unreliable etc ,and I guess there are also people who won't work just for the love of it and no pay .
If paid workers are used there is more chance of reliability and not wanting to lose their jobs.

SamMewl:

--- Quote from: Tiggy's Mum on June 21, 2012, 12:30:33 PM ---It's frightening to see the overall costs involved in running a rescue  :Crazy: In an ideal world volunteers would be on hand to help but as we all know life is far from ideal  :shy: It seems that bringing in paid staff has allowed Haworth to carry on taking in huge numbers of cats and also increased the revenue of the rescue which can't be a bad thing!

Hope Haworth Cat does well on his torch run SamMewl  ;D

--- End quote ---

Thank you

Thats Haworth on Valentines day trying to get shoppers to find a new true kitty love!

SamMewl:
Currently we have 4 paid staff and 497 listed volunteers with 42 fosterers. The majority of the money spent on salaries goes to the campaign manager the other staff are part-time and on near to minimum wage. The campaign manager has organised fundraising so that she brings in considerably more to us than her salary. Without her we wouldn't have the £19K to spend on vet bills. If you had continued to read you would have seen that the way we run leaves us with our expenses lower than our income.

Having the other staff members means that we always have somone that is in charge, this ensures everything gets done, all cats are looked after and given medication etc. It also means that there is somone to handle any difficult people here, we have had people threatening violence if we don't take their cat, people threatening to bring us dead cats. We also welcome people with special needs to spend time here and therefore we need somone who is utimately responsible for them and we also need somone who will ensure our volunteers are welcomed and appreciated. Our volunteers are wonderful and essential but they do not want to take complete responsibility for the cats here, not surprisingly as it is very stressful.

We neuter every cat that comes to us (and trap, neuter, return if apropriate) and give every cat all the vet care it needs. Our older cats will get dental treatment while they are here and we put no limit on what we will spend on a cat in vet fees. For example we have spent  £3000 on one kitten to try and find what was wrong with it, sadly we found he had found his organs were misplaced and there was no way he could survive.  We also offer lifetime veterinary support for cats adopted with medical conditions (eg diabetes) and pay all age related veterinary costs for cats rehomed who are over 10 years old.

Some of our trustees thought as you did that we should not ever have paid staff but compared to when we were just run by volunteers we are, with paid staff, rehoming more cats per year (last year we rehomed 540 compared to 200-300) and we have more a lot more income. The income that will ensure we have money for future vet bills and we hope, to continue to expand with an assured future. The way we work might not be the best but we ARE all trying to do our best for the unwanted, stray and abandoned cats of Yorkshire.

Tiggy's Mum:
It's frightening to see the overall costs involved in running a rescue  :Crazy: In an ideal world volunteers would be on hand to help but as we all know life is far from ideal  :shy: It seems that bringing in paid staff has allowed Haworth to carry on taking in huge numbers of cats and also increased the revenue of the rescue which can't be a bad thing!

Hope Haworth Cat does well on his torch run SamMewl  ;D

Teresa Pawcats:
 I have just been looking at your accounts as verified by charities commision and I have had to stop as I find it too upsetting, salaries £39771, vet bill only £19464 please tell me I am misreading,why is double the vet bill spent on salaries.
I do know one thing £39771 should be spent on neutering and volunteers brought in to replace paid workers.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends18/0001058218_ac_20101231_e_c.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version