Author Topic: Been to the vets today  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Been to the vets today
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 15:50:48 PM »
If your removing food at 6, when you go to bed Amber may be "hungry" enough for a small nibble!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Tab.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Ive got Mogs in the box I'll give Amber some food then rather than making her wait until I get home

That is what I do on these occasions. Out of site of the cat in the carry cage of course.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
I cant separate them for long as I live in a flat so havent got much room. I'll try to feed Amber in the kitchen and shut Mogs out but Amber is one of those cats that doesnt always eat when foods given and grazes all night so I think there'll be no food left out. On tuesday after Ive got Mogs in the box I'll give Amber some food then rather than making her wait until I get home
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »
That is annoying - my vets are 8pm, and that is hard enough!! I too would remove all food, just in case she does decide to jump on the worktop. Could you separate the two cats so one can have some food?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »
Im not sure if I should put Ambers on the worktop as Mogs has never in 10 years jumped on the worktop but that doesnt mean she wouldnt if she was hungry so I think both cats might get starved 

I think  that perhaps it would be in Mogs best interest if all food was removed after 6 p.m. Best to air on the side of caution.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »
When I booked her in they said they have a selection of anaesthetics and only ever use the best for the animal (at that point I hadnt said she was a cat lol) The hard part will be taking food away from 1 cat at 6pm tomorrow, Im not sure if I should put Ambers on the worktop as Mogs has never in 10 years jumped on the worktop but that doesnt mean she wouldnt if she was hungry so I think both cats might get starved  :evillaugh:
Oh they're gonna hate me  :rofl:
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 20:16:15 PM »
It makes a lot of sense Tab, and as long as the bloods are done to show that her organs can cope with it, then you know you aren't putting her at risk. There are anaesthetics that are better for older cats, and might be worth making sure your vets use one of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
hope that makes sense

It does. You are just giving Mogs a chance of a more comfortable life, If the vet thought for one minute that Mogs could not stand the anaesthetic I am sure he would tell you and as you know there are more things they can do nowadays to ensure all is well and good quality anaesthetics.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 20:30:27 PM by Ela »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I had a good think about things and I have booked Mogs in to have the dental on Tuesday. I felt that just because she is 16 and has high blood pressure its not as though she was seriously ill and without this she could get ill. I have to assume she will live to an old age and that means this is needed as I cant expect her to live a  long and healthy life with a sore mouth and bad teeth.I feel quite guilty though now as some things I had half noticed now take on a different meaning. This morning she was stood looking at the biscuit bowl, then the food dish, then the biscuits. I would have laughed before thinking she couldnt make up her mind but now Im wondering if she was hungry and was worried about eating in case it hurts. I hope that makes sense
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 07:59:56 AM »
The vets left it up to me if she has an anaesthetic or if shes treated with anti biotics and soft food because of her age

I agree with Desley that mouth problems can lead to internal organ problems. I would also agree with the soft food comment,  so many of the older cats have preferred the dried food even when the teeth have been removed.

We take in numerous old cats who need dentals as as long as the pre op blood test is done and the vet feels the little one should  be OK under anaesthetic we go for it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 21:17:18 PM »
Eldest i have put a cat through a dental is 13, but there are cats on here that have been older when they have had an op. I think as long as they have pre-anaesthetic bloods, and a drip during, it should be OK, and I personally would go down that route rather than antibiotics, as bad teeth can affect some of their organs. It isn't true that soft food is better though, most of mine have preferred dry with bad teeth.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 15:40:51 PM »
Shes 16 which is why Im worried. At least the rescue I got her from yrs ago said she was 6 at the time. Im just a bit narked as my insurance doesnt cover dental work, not sure any do though. Im thinking I should change Ambers insurance though as at the moment Ive never claimed for anything and she has £55 excess which is a bit extreme.
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 15:33:25 PM »
How old is Mogs Tab?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 14:39:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind crumbly ones as I could dampen my finger get it on and  put it on Jeannie’s tongue. The one she has to be cut into 8 are terrible as they have a thick coating on and it take ages with a sharp razorblade to cut even in half. Mind you the tablets I have to give my Jessica are worst as she has to have 1/8 and to start with they are not much bigger than a pin head.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 14:11:28 PM »
Mogs has 1/4 tablet of istin 5mg which isnt exactly easy as they crumble.

love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 13:55:32 PM »
Mogs had her blood pressure checked which is still ok so they tablets are working

What tabs is she on? My Jeannie has i/8 of a small tab once a day.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Been to the vets today
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 13:35:23 PM »
I took Mogs and Amber for their boosters and checkups. Amber had a blood test for possible kidney problems as shes suddenley started drinking water when she never used to but the tests came back clear so shes fine just got a bald neck. Mogs had her blood pressure checked which is still ok so they tablets are working but she needs some dental work. The vets left it up to me if she has an anaesthetic or if shes treated with anti biotics and soft food because of her age. They said they do blood tests before and put them on drips or stop the op if theres any chance of a problem so I guess Mogs'll be going in for her teeth soon. If she cant have it done for some reason then we can do the soft food and anti biotic route but it seems better to give her a chance for pain free teeth first.
Have I got that right?
Thanks
love
Tab

Link to CatChat