Author Topic: What do your purring babies eat??  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: What do your purring babies eat??
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 16:25:26 PM »
I think if your cat is healthy & active you aren't going too far wrong. Cats vary so much in what they will, or won't, eat and how much. The Munchkin, for instance, will only eat Natures Menu (always Green, sometimes Red, never Blue) and Royal Canin Outdoor 30. He doesn't like anything else (and I've tried most brands) with the exception of chicken (raw or cooked) and the occasional bit of cheese. Dear, departed Uncle M, on the other hand,would eat anything- cheap brands to top of the range and any human food he could get his paws on.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 19:08:05 PM »
my crew get Origen dry food down all day.     Twice a day they get Bozita tetrapacks and once a day they get raw which could be chicken rabbit beef lamb etc.       Not all of them like raw so those who don't get either Animonda or Grau wet
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline lauriex

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lily, CoCo & Charlie
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 22:47:16 PM »
Check out my thread.... I asked the very same question recently and got some very good feedback...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34694.0.html

Hope it helps, I too find it all very confusing!  :Crazy:

I was trying to find a thread that related to this - thanks for letting me know about it..There's heaps of info on there, good responses from people. There's just so much conflicting info, its hard to know what to believe and what not to believe. :)
..Purring would seem to be, in her case, a safety valve for dealing with a happiness overload..

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
I agree 100% with Susanne, if you remember that cats are obligate carnivores whereas humans can thrive as vegetarians you shouldn't go too far wrong.  :)

The problem with the internet is that anyone can publish their cranky theories and present it as the truth, think of David Icke. :rofl: There is even more  misinformation about human nutrition than there is for feline nutrition - luckily for us the science has been distilled into basic government guidelines! This is a great article because it refers to published research and doesn't push one product or way of feeding
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Noah is a greedy cat, so pretty much any animal product sparks his interest! He purrs for prawns, raw meat/ offal  :sick: and Bozita pate, but also has Feline Fayre, P@H Purely, Orijen, Fish4Cats, VIYO cat milk mixed with a raw egg. He doesn't have much 'people food', but has been known to serve himself pork in mediterranean sauce and pasta pesto with bacon.  :tired:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
It is confusing but I would say start with logic and think about what a cat is designed to eat and would eat if it were living wild.  They are carnivores and are designed to eat raw meat.  So a raw diet is great.  If you can do it - not all can as it requires a reasonable knowledge to make sure the diet is well balanced and a fair amount of freezer space!  Next in line would be cooked meat with little/minimum vegetable matter.  As cooking destroys many nutrients, cooked food generally needs to be supplemented with vitamins and minerals.  After home made diets, commercial wet food with a good meat content and no grains would be next on my list, followed by poorer quality wet foods (those with a lower meat percentage and/or containing some cereal) followed by dry foods. 

Of course, added into the mix are factors such as cost, availability, whether the cat will actually eat what we choose for them, any health problems/sensitive tummies etc.   

My choice is mostly good quality wet food supplemented by some raw meat/chicken wings as snacks and some poorer quality wet food (for cost and because Jaffa loves his felix and whiskas).  Only Mosi has dry (about 1/3 of his diet) and I choose a grain free food for him - usually Encore from Sainsburys.

At the end of the day, most of us have to compromise and can't always feed exactly what we would like, but whenever I start to get confused about foods and what is good or bad, I just try to go back to basics and remind myself of what is an ideal food for a cat - raw food including organs and bones - and how I can get as close to that as possible.

I found a great quote on Barry Groves' website the other day:  'You'll never get a lion thinking, "That antelope was a bit rich, I think I'll go eat some goji berries"'  ;D

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
Check out my thread.... I asked the very same question recently and got some very good feedback...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34694.0.html

Hope it helps, I too find it all very confusing!  :Crazy:

Offline lauriex

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »
For treats they like absolutely anything - raw chicken wings, tuna, pilchards in tomato, prawns, poached white fish, cooked chicken, ham, a tiny scraping of cheese always goes down well :) My two get a massive variety depending on where I'm shopping and what's on offer - thankfully they seem to have pretty strong stomachs that don't get upset by all the switching around. So they get a mixture of Feline Fayre pouches, Hi-Life Essentials pouches, Sainsbury's own brand wet food tins when I run out and have to pop round the shop, pet mince from the butcher, and I always leave some kibble down for them to pick at during the day. As for what they don't like, I'm yet to find anything  :rofl:

Ah yes, Cheese is always a winner in our house, I love the way they sit and lick their lips like mad after eating it!! :):)
I can't help but think that they get fed up eating the same old same old all the time  lol
..Purring would seem to be, in her case, a safety valve for dealing with a happiness overload..

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 00:59:41 AM »
For treats they like absolutely anything - raw chicken wings, tuna, pilchards in tomato, prawns, poached white fish, cooked chicken, ham, a tiny scraping of cheese always goes down well :) My two get a massive variety depending on where I'm shopping and what's on offer - thankfully they seem to have pretty strong stomachs that don't get upset by all the switching around. So they get a mixture of Feline Fayre pouches, Hi-Life Essentials pouches, Sainsbury's own brand wet food tins when I run out and have to pop round the shop, pet mince from the butcher, and I always leave some kibble down for them to pick at during the day. As for what they don't like, I'm yet to find anything  :rofl:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline lauriex

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 00:08:50 AM »
Funny you should mention 'hoover' Alex...My youngest CoCo is like that...She hoovers up all the little left over bits, she eats practically anything (I don't know if thats a good or bad thing!)   :-:

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 23:45:51 PM »
our little one has a pouch of felix/whiskas each day as well as about 40g of biscuits. Depending on what we're eating she'll happily hoover up some cod or tuna or beef or chicken, ham etc etc.

Offline lauriex

• Adult Cat
What do your purring babies eat??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 23:12:24 PM »
I have read so many things on the internet about what to feed your cat. Don't feed it this, don't give it that...And frankly, I am tired of all of the conflicting information... I think that if you took notice of all of the things on the net, our beloved cats would starve!

I like to think that I feed Lily and CoCo a good diet. They enjoy lots of chicken, minced beef, ham, the odd bit of tuna, they also enjoy felix pouches from time to time too. I also occasionally mix a teaspoon of rice or carrot into their dinners which they enjoy as well. They also get little treats of salmon and lamb (if we have that for a sunday roast)
As for dry food, they used to enjoy iams, but since their recipe became 'new and improved' my girls don't like it! They now like the whiskas duck flavoured dry food with the dental kibbles in and Royal Canin British Shorthair food along with a drop of whiskas milk and plenty of water.

What do the rest of you feed your cats?? What is their favourite food? What don't they like??
Lily and CoCo both detest prawns!! Goodness knows why!!  :-:

Link to CatChat