Author Topic: hello from a new memeber from new milton in hampshire  (Read 3023 times)

Offline lauriex

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lily, CoCo & Charlie
Re: hello from a new memeber from new milton in hampshire
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:35:59 AM »
Hi Lisa,

welcome to Purrs. I am really sorry to read about what happened to Smudge  - I really hope you get closure on the situation soon.

Laura  :hug:
..Purring would seem to be, in her case, a safety valve for dealing with a happiness overload..

Offline lisa andrews

• Kitten
  • Slave to: mischief and jasper
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 19:14:16 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for all your kind messages. I have briefly spoken to the vet who prescribed vidalta but found her very defensive, so this is why i'm looking into it further to gather as much info as possible before i go back to them. When smudge was prescribed vidalta, I was never given any information on it at all. Everything that i have learnt is from the internet. I have started talking to the vidalta manufacturers, and am waiting for their vet to call me again next week after they have consulted my vet. I got the feeling from the vet which looked after smudge in her last two days that there was something amiss with smudge's previous treatments and this has spurred me on to look into things further. I do not want to jeopardise her job by pushing her further as she has been a tower of strength.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
I am sorry to hear this, I have used Vidalta on a hyper-t cat with no issues, but all drugs carry side effects and if it isn't listed on the information sheet, your vet should be reporting this to the manufacturer. I hope you do get some answers, RIP little one
Please spay your cat

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
Sorry to  :welcome: you to Purrs under such sad circumstances...

Hope you find the answers you are looking for...  :hug:

Purrs is a brilliant place to come and chat, about absolutely anything!

We do however, love piccies!  ;)

RIP Smudge x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »
Hello and  :welcome: to Purrs Lisa.

I'm so sorry to hear about Smudge  :hug:

My boy is on Vidalta and there can be side effects with thyroid tablets but I've never heard anything extreme happen like that.

I wonder whether it could have been something other than the Vidalta but it was coincidence that she'd started taking them.  Or if the if the thyroid had been going on a while and only just picked up had created too many health problems. 

Have you spoken to your vet about this?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:07:39 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 00:59:57 AM »
Hello,what a terrible experience,poor little thing(and you) I too would advise that you try to research these tablets online.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 00:33:24 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and so sorry to hear about Smudge.  :hug: :hug:

I would recommend a search online about these tablets and see what has been reported and what is said as side effects......your vet should know about the drugs he prescribed ans sounds like maybe the vet should have looked into this more carefully  :(

I would also suggest that you post in our health and behavior section, calling you post Need information about Vidalta Tabs and then repeat the story cos many will see it then   :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 00:25:27 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 22:41:49 PM »
Hi Lisa

Welcome to Purrs, glad you've found us.

Really sorry to hear about Smudge (hug)

Was she on vidalta for hyper thyroid condition? My family cat Tilly (she lives at my parents and I have 3 of my own here) is on vidalta for hyper t and has been on it for about 3-4 months now and has been ok but the side effects Smudge experienced sound really worrying. Sorry I can't really offer any advice because as I said Tilly has been ok on them and her condition has improved. I know there are quite a few other people who have advice and experience with vidalta on here. It may be best to ask the question in the health and behaviour section. We also have a raindow bridge section on here if you would like to post a little tribute to Smudge.

I'm sure you will get to love the Purrs community very soon :)

Hugs and welcome again

Steff x
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline lisa andrews

• Kitten
  • Slave to: mischief and jasper
hello from a new memeber from new milton in hampshire
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 22:12:06 PM »
I live in new milton with my family and 2 cats (mischief and jasper). I found this site when i was trying to find more information about vidalta tablets, as i have recently sadly lost mischiefs sister smudge. She was prescribed vidalta 6 weeks ago, initially she perked up for a week before her personality changed and developed a skin irritation. I took her back to my vets 3 weeks ago and they gave her steroids and advised to carry on with the vidalta. On wednesday i found her in our garden haemorrhaging from her nose and mouth, again i took her to the vets and they advised to just keep an eye on her and continue medication although i suspected vidalta side effects. That night she was readmitted to the veterinary hospital and given xrays. There were no injuries. Next morning i recieved a call saying she had gone downhill rapidly and needed further blood tests but they were unable to obtain blood as she was bruising badly.  That lunchtime i was called into the vets to discuss a transfer to another practice for blood transfusion as she had no clotting platelets and this was her only hope, or euthonaisia. She had no life left in her and was extremely weak and would not of lasted the transfer. I felt that the kindest thing to do was to end her suffering. Since then i have learnt that this could well be a reaction to vidalta. I would appreciate any feedback that you may have from experience with vidalta. The vets are unable to explain why this happened. I really miss her and so do mischief and jasper who keep wandering around looking for her.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Lisa

Link to CatChat