Author Topic: Woman Dumps Cat in Wheelie Bin  (Read 6899 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Woman Dumps Cat in Wheelie Bin
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2010, 15:41:05 PM »
Like I say Sue, skim read. To be honest I looked it up to see if I could find a petition still running to sign.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2010, 15:23:27 PM »

I don't read stuff like that any more.  I accept some people in this world are hideously malfunctioning but I can't cope with the images stories of that nature leave behind in my mind.  The sheer enormity of the cruelty overwhelms me to a point I can't function, so I can't read them.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2010, 15:15:21 PM »
It's one L Mark, I just looked. And the Care2 petition is closed so I couldn't sign it. I only skim read because of what you'd posted but I read enough. :( Sometimes I can't believe humans are all the same species.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2010, 14:49:47 PM »
I was trying to see if there was an update and found a story about a 'man' in America who answered 19 FTGH ads in newspapers and what he did to the cats is even worse. I couldn't read any more as it was so unthinkable but one of the things I read said he was facing 5 years in jail. I didn't get as far as reading the outcome - just to say that someone like that is so miswired in their head that there really is an argument for euthanising humans  >:( - It really is a lesson to people who think that advertising FTGH is what will happen though. If anyone is interested, I am not putting a link but his name is Anthony Apollonia. There was a petition to get him jailed but there were only 2,500 sigs   :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2010, 14:35:39 PM »

You've already answered your own question on that case Mark earlier - as you said then, because it wasn't filmed and shown on prime time TV it's hard for people to know about it, and what they don't know or don't witness means less to them than something they see with their own eyes or footage that is indisputable.    :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 14:30:59 PM »
I knew she would only get a slap on the wrist. I think she should have been punished for the distress caused + the potential harm.  Who can say what made her do it? - I doubt she will ever do anything like it again. I really am amazed at the mass hysteria over this case, when there has been no more mention of the woman scum that willfully drowned 8 of her cats over the course of a week. She is a lot more dangerous than Mary Bale and I really hope she gets seriously punished. The court case is on 29th October.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2010, 14:20:04 PM »
That's the bit I find most worrying; not knowing what motivated her to do such a thing.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2010, 14:11:46 PM »

I think that's right - the public humiliation she's endured means effectively her life will never be "normal" again.  She'll no doubt always be remembered as a bit of a "mad old bint wot putta cat in a bin for a laff"

Part of me thinks that she deserves it.  Part of me still wonders what on earth motivated her?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2010, 14:06:39 PM »
Thank you to our on the spot reporter, Angie  :hug:

I think the prosecution lost the plot completely and that little cat was terrified for its life for all that time and am sure I remember that it had fouled itself and was covered.

However this lady has now effectively lost her ability to live in a normal way, she will be remembered for ever and the fine plus costs will be a drain on her resources. She will never forget what she did and she probably knows exactly why she did it and will never for get this for the rest of her life.

I feel some community service would have been a good idea but although the sentence seems fairly light, I dont think it is.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2010, 13:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the eye-witness report Angie!

Seems like the prosecution missed a few tricks there ie what was in the bin, how hot it was that day, when bin day was etc

I would have preferred a harsher penalty but the Magistrate is right that she has been absolutely vilified by the media, that is far worse punishment than any fine and well deserved!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2010, 13:19:07 PM »
SThe cat might  not have been physically  hurt, but what about the distress caused by being shut in a dark, confined space and not being able to escape?

Not to mention the stress to the cat's owners wondering where she was.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »

Wholly unsurprised they mentioned her Father's fall, the stress and the pressure..... her unemployed status (now - following her resignation presumably as she was getting too much grief at work for such appalling behaviour....)

I think the thing I find the most worrying is that she had no idea why she did it.  From a child of 5 I could maybe accept that, but not from a woman grown and one who professes to like animals.  :Dont know:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
Shame they seem to have concentrated on physical harm.  The cat might  not have been physically  hurt, but what about the distress caused by being shut in a dark, confined space and not being able to escape?

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
If I was the judge,I'd also give her a restraining order saying she is not allowed to go within 150 feet of any animal for a year.... That'd  :censored: her! :evillaugh:
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »
Well there were over a dozen reporters inside and a bank of cameras outside and as I drove home heard first reports on the radio.

She was brought in on 5 matters but all but one was dropped - the causing of unneccessary suffering.

The prosecutor had to show the video footage on his laptop to the magistrate as the dvd wouldn't play.

She pleaded guilty.
she was on the way to her mums house and often passed Lola and fussed her. the incident happened at 8pm on 21st August. The cat was found next day bu owners and was distressed but not injured. Lola in bin 15 hours.

Magistrate made great emphasis on the animal not being hurt, even though it was hot it was in the evening. She said the proscutor had not checked the contents on the bin so could not say the cat could have been hurt by broken glass, would not have suffered heat stroke and no one could tell her when the bin men were actually due.
There was a vet report but he had not seen the animal and most of it revolved round what could have happened and everyone stressed that Lola was not hurt.
We were then talked through the video, stressing she looked round, stepped back toward bin scruffed the cat in then just walked away.

Owners reported to rspca and police. Mary Bale was reported as having no priors, but magistrate was asked under section 5.34 that she be disqualified from having animals. She does not have any animals and has never had but has been known to look after.
Costs of £1171-04 for case.

Her defendant say she was of good character, no previous, and had admitted to it at all stages. She did not know why and was said to be very regretful. It was 'one impulsive act". They mentioned hr dad was in intensive care after a fall and she had been visiting each day and was not eaing or sleeping well. She has resigned from her job of 27years cos of all the attention  and is living of savings. Since the incident she has been seen by docs for stress and depression. They asked for financial penalty not community penalty.

Magistrate then vanished for 20mins (cup of tea and biscuit no doubt).

Verdict - she was of good character and had pleaded guilty. She was under stress that was no excuse.
The potential for harm had been substantial but cat was fine. Mary was 'mortifies' and magistrate was sure that remorse was genuine. She has been vilified by the media.
Fine of £250 plus court costs totalling £1436-04. Payment was supposd to be made before she left court but as she was unemployed it was £500 now and the rest within 56 days.

She was disqualified from owning or keeping or helping to keep animals for 5 years.

I didn't stay around for the media but a lady from the BBC took my name and number in court (having spotted my bright green Coventry Cat Group Tshirt!).

Thats all - have to do some vet visits now..... your reporter signing off........

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
its because there are no photos Mark, the media is lazy - lets face it cats are put in bins all the time but without photos never make the news

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
I spoke to my welfare lecturer about this case and suggested that compared to a lot of cruelty cases, this is minor (although could have ended in tragedy) she just said that it is important that any high-profile cases are dealt with and punished to get the message out to as many as possible. What I am waiting to hear an outcome on is the scum who callously drowned 8 cats on-by-one over the course of a week. It doesn't seem to have had anywhere near as much frenzy surrounding it as the cat-in-bin case, yet it is far worse. In an ideal world, I would like to see the woman sentenced to death by drowning, although in reality, she will get a slap on the wrist and a 5-year ban.

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
Angie i will ask my dad he is a magistrate there. Unfortunatly he works thursdays so i can get him to send her down for life :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 17:51:52 PM »
Hope you can go Angie cos would be great to have a Purrs reporter there .

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »

Angie - shouldn't be any problem attending if you want to go.  Public gallery is exactly that - public.

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
I believe anyone can go to the Courts, at any level - Justice being seen so to speak.  Let's hope they ask her MY question - why didn't she return at some time and let the cat out?????

Here's some cats I saw at a Monastery in Corfu, they're eating a big bowl of..rice!!  All the cats I saw on holiday looked very happy and healthy.  The place wasn't swarming with them but I always like to see a moggy when I'm on hol.  Must say thought I was very tempted to make a little tabby & white 12 wk old my return hand luggage!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 23:15:32 PM »
If you are allowed in Angie, you better get there early as press interest will be high I'm sure.... for good and bad reasons....

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 21:02:36 PM »
She is due to appear before Coventry Magistrates Court on 19 October.

does anyone know if public are allowed as I'm thinking of going......?

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:41 AM »
Good!!!!
DAISY!! Cover your ear's Girl!!

Hope they put her in a  :censored: bin!!! Preferably one with an  :censored: incinerator attatched!!  :censored: witch should be shot...

And breath!

Merv &

:D: :A: :I: :S: :Y:   :C: :A: :T:
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 23:26:14 PM »
So pleased cos it will also send a message out to others who abuse animals

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 23:17:12 PM »
So pleased she is to be brought before the courts, hope she is made an example of.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 15:11:36 PM »
I'm glad it's being taken seriously.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 14:43:19 PM »
Breaking news just now is that she has been charged with 2 offences under the Animal Welfare Act  :wow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11375080

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 14:44:34 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
according to the article in the telegraph, the rspca have no decided if to prosecute

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2010/09/14/paul-o-grady-pledges-5-000-to-charity-after-wheelie-bin-cat-woman-scandal-92746-27264431/

(and still no cheque in the post :rofl:)

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 16:20:23 PM »
Not heard a thing, though just got phoned up by the telegraph as they wanted to know if we were the charity that paul o'grady was going to give £5k to......(I wish - bet CP will get it!)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 15:09:26 PM »
This has all gone very quiet - is there anybody here from Coventry that knows anything further ?

:thanks:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 18:14:30 PM »
the test for me is - would she still have put the cat in the bin if she had known about the camera?

clearly the answer is no, so it was not a moment of madness, nor a misjudgement

it was deliberate act, done for reasons she has not disclosed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 17:53:02 PM »
I was really bowled over by how humble and sincere she was in her apology!  :rofl:

I think it's safe to say she won't be joined Purrs anytime soon  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 17:37:05 PM »
  By the way, Mercia Sound have done a spoof revenge film.

http://www.mercia.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1929903  :evillaugh:

I agree, it was a cold, calculated act and she should be punished. I also agree that the cat didn't suffer any physical pain but a message needs to be sent out. I would like to say amongst other things, she should be made to clean litter trays for 5 years, but she would need watching every second, so probably not practical.

Someone on a newspaper comment section said she should be put in stocks and have dirty cat litter chucked at her  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 16:26:41 PM »
  It wasn't as if the cat even scratched her, when she may have lashed out in temper as retaliation.  It was cool, calm and calculating.   It was that abuse of trust and affection offered that's the shocking thing to me.

Spot on, although it could never be justified you could almost understand it if the cat had tripped her up or scratched her but it was the cold calculating way she did it, gaining her trust before checking around to see nobody was watching  >:(

For anyone that says 'it's just a cat' (not on Purrs!), it's not the fact it was a cat - it's that it was a harmless, defenceless creature that she had no reason to inflict such an evil act on.

I know there are worse atrocities on animals probably every day but this one there is 100% proof of what she did and her identity so she simply must be prosecuted.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 16:15:18 PM »
From today's Sun:
I just want people to know I'm not a wicked person. There is no motive for what I did. It was just a moment of madness.

"I want to apologise profusely for the distress my actions have caused. It was a split-second of misjudgment.

This is what I find most disturbing. Normal, sane people don't have moments of madness like that. It's a very sociopathic thing to do  :Crazy:

I entirely agree Den.  If you stabbed someone in the street in a moment of madness you'd end up in a secure unit.   If you locked a small child in a cupboard for fifteen hours with no food or water, in a moment of madness, you'd end up in prison.   It's not a plausible excuse.   It wasn't as if the cat even scratched her, when she may have lashed out in temper as retaliation.  It was cool, calm and calculating.   It was that abuse of trust and affection offered that's the shocking thing to me.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 15:14:31 PM »
From today's Sun:
I just want people to know I'm not a wicked person. There is no motive for what I did. It was just a moment of madness.

"I want to apologise profusely for the distress my actions have caused. It was a split-second of misjudgment.

This is what I find most disturbing. Normal, sane people don't have moments of madness like that. It's a very sociopathic thing to do  :Crazy:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 15:11:01 PM »
What I don't understand is, if she did it on the spur of the moment, that moment lasted all night.  At any time she could have returned and just tipped the bin over so the cat could get out.  There was absolutely no excuse not to do that.  By the way, Mercia Sound have done a spoof revenge film.  I can't do a link as I'm not too clever with computers, but it's very funny.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 15:07:52 PM »
I felt sorry for her Mum too, but her 'apology' was very abrupt and possibly the most insincere apology I've ever heard  :tired: Sorry she did it or sorry she got caught?

There's a new statement from her in The Sun, I think the death threats are ridiculous and completely out of proportion but I'm glad this has has such a massive impact on her life. I find it very hard to believe that was the first animal she was needlessly and inexplicably cruel to  >:(

There's a lovely pic of Lola enjoying her new bed surrounded by lots of treats and toys  :)

From today's Sun:

"I just don't know what came over me. The RSPCA asked me why I did it and I had to say I just hadn't got a clue. I have tried to think back to when it happened but my mind is a complete blank. I don't have pets but I have nothing against cats and have never wanted to do any animal any harm. It's not the case that I've seen a cat kill garden birds or one has messed in my garden. I've had death threats and the last 48 hours have seen my life turned upside down due to my own stupidity. I just want people to know I'm not a wicked person. There is no motive for what I did. It was just a moment of madness.

Bale fears she will be fired from her job at an RBS branch in Rugby, Warwickshire. And she said: "I will know in a few weeks if I will be taken to court and I fear my employers will get rid of me. "Who wants to be served by the woman who dumped the cat in a bin?" Bale said she wanted to apologise in person to Lola's owner Stephanie Andrews-Mann.  But she was told by the RSPCA it would be "inappropriate" as an investigation was under way. Instead, a statement was issued on Bale's behalf telling Stephanie and her husband Darryl: "I want to apologise profusely for the distress my actions have caused. It was a split-second of misjudgment.

The apology drew a cool response from the couple. Stephanie, 24, said: "I wouldn't let that woman within a mile of Lola, she might recognise her and have a fit. Why fling a living creature into a wheelie bin if you don't mean to harm it? There's something wrong with the woman. Darryl, 26, said: "We want her prosecuted." 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 14:50:13 PM »
I saw that on Sky News yesterday. She was certainly squirming. The media really are persistent aren't they  :doh:

I do feel sorry for her mum too, Mark.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Link to CatChat