Author Topic: minimum temperature in outside kennel  (Read 19418 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: minimum temperature in outside kennel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 23:11:26 PM »
A flector bed would be good to put inside it .
I have one like Mark has for Winstons igloo and thats inside the house in my bedroom as its a big room and can be cold in Wintedr even with the heating on .
I also have a metal type pad that reflects body heat that i have in the outside house for Winston in the daytime and other cats at night (whoever needs shelter round here , usually a little black and white one that waits in there for me to feed it about 4 days a week !)
I have that in there permanently and a fleece over the top and turn it in towards the wall so they can just get in and its sheltered as much as poss from wind and cold.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
minimum temperature in outside kennel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 23:01:19 PM »
I have been feeding what I thought was a farm cat, which was hanging around my garden and eating food put out for birds, but was told by my neighbour that he has been living in the hedgerow and eating chicken feed, so I think he must be on his own

I can't take another cat in, and he is in no hurry to make friends, but I am thinking of how best to keep him warm through the winter

I have the Mr Snugs kennel, which I can place below the cement platform my coal bunker sits on, so it will stay dry and have some insulation - and I have got one of the those indoor/outdoor thermometers so I can check the interior of the kennel and try different bedding combinations to find which is warmest, before it is actually needed

but I can't find out what is considered to be the minimum temperature for a cat through a winter's night - given he looks young, and healthy enough, though too thin (and I'm working on that)

does anyone know about night temperatures? and also is there a wormer, for round and tapeworm, I could sprinkle on his wet food?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat