Author Topic: The insurance maze!  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: The insurance maze!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 20:52:37 PM »
I think M & S increase their percentage for oldies, AXA dont at the moment, they just increased them across the board, but then let you opt to change it.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 18:43:36 PM »
I use Tesco - thisis where you all tell me I made a stupid choice isn't it!!! :rofl:

So do I, it is by no means the most comprehensive in terms of cover, but you'll no doubt be pleased to know that they have just settled my (interim) claim for Milly's arthritis without any quibbles or fuss.  It is only 12 month cover per condition but I knew that when I took it on and made that decision based on our own situation - i.e. we fortunately can afford ongoing treatment but wanted a 'cushion' for initial diagnostic, acute illnesses or accidents. 

Horses for courses, as they say.  I'm happy though, their price for both our cats was less than some of the other companies wanted per cat, albeit for lifelong cover.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 18:44:10 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 13:14:21 PM »
You also want to take into account that policy prices go up and down each year. I know Pet Plan go up, and M&S I've heard have been going up dramatically. For the past 2 policy renewals my AXA has gone down. So what might seem expensive now could actually be cheaper in the long run.

Like Jezebel said, some will require a % after the animal reaches a certain age.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
Thanks all i will give MS a call... I have now tried 10 insurance companies and price ranges from 6.00 to 22.00 for virtually the same policy.. all life cover... But you really have to ask and delve deep... I have avoided all supermarkets....

If anyone is using EDL then i can say they have a terrible customer services record..
I tried PDSA yesterday but they dont do life cover..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 00:43:24 AM »
Another AXA user here,

MY car is with Aviva and was with Norwich Union before they changed their name and only thing I can say is check that there are UK call centres cos there are none now for cars! Its took me months to get all the docs this year and am not a happy bunny.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 21:09:56 PM »
I have Ollie and Tyler insured with M&S I have had a £4000 claim with Ollie in past year and the renewal did not go up much, They paid out of hours fees ok, pay my vet direct and paid out on his regular claims no probs. had 2 seperate claims at one time and no probs either

I have been with them 3 years now and all has been good. When I called them as it says in book to call if claim is going to be expensive i panicked at first but the girl reassured me thats its jsut to check you have enough cover and so they can set a reserve on claim so they know appoximate costs

When Ollie took unwell and had to get his MRI scan and Spinal Tap the girl i got on the phone was lovely and spent ages talking to me and I actually felt better after talking to her.

guess people will have had bad experiences but my experience over last 3 years has been great with m&s

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 18:52:23 PM »
I use Tesco - thisis where you all tell me I made a stupid choice isn't it!!! :rofl: 

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 15:28:11 PM »
Another Axa user here.

One thing I've noticed you have to be careful of (sorry if everyone already knows this but I've not been a cat owner for some years so it's all changed since I last got a quote!) - often the cover will exclude not only the agreed excess but a percentage of the total cost too. Perhaps this is just for older cats, I don't know. I very nearly went with Petplan, whom I used to use and really liked, noticed just in time that they want a wacking great percentage of the total cost of the treatment. Given that their premiums aren't cheap, this is potentially very pricey!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 14:25:07 PM »
I've only had expereince with Axa hun, and agree they're not the cheapest, but they were always good paying out etc with Max, so I've stuck with them.

I can't comment on any of the others as I've never actually used them  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
The insurance maze!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 14:20:26 PM »
Okay so its time to look for insurance.. I know that many of you are using AXA but i did a quick online quote and its working out very dear... I would very much like to use the company i have used before Pinnacle.. but they are now too expensive..

Can anyone give me some dieas of the customer services etc or have heard of any of the following.. all of which do life time cover and are reasonable

Aviva
Petguard
Petplan (which are kind of expensive but not so good as the former to in price)

any used M and S and have any dealings with them?

I am avoidiing the low, low cost companies as many do not to life time cover and if its too good to be true it usually is!!

My best quote has been with Aviva but anyone have had any dealings with them?

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat