Author Topic: Begining the journey of rescuing puddy tats  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Begining the journey of rescuing puddy tats
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 20:07:01 PM »
I bet you will find a rescue on Purrs or CatChat who will take individual circumstances into account. You aren't mentioning kittens, would you consider oldies? They are likely to be more 'sedate' for when you are cramming for finals or trying to sleep after a long night shift! Not all rescues let you choose then homecheck, some will homecheck then offer you the cat(s) they think are most suitable. That is how I adopted Noah and CP made the PERFECT choice.  :Luv: I did find the concept a little 'alien' at first but then realised there cannot be many cats I couldn't love!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 19:40:06 PM »
The love you had for Kooky shines through on here so I'm sure a rescue will see what great cat parents you'll make  :hug:

Some rescues will tell you that you can't adopt from them if you will both be working full time, it all depends where you go. In my experience the large rescues will have set rules about things like this whereas small independant rescues will be more likely to consider each case on it's own merits.

I found the same when looking to home a pair of indoor kittens, some larger rescues had set policies without even hearing about my home/lifestyle but others were more flexible and willing to consider me. Hopefully you should be OK,  I'm sure you can find the right rescue and the right pair of cats  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 19:12:30 PM »
Not sure if you know of these three, but two of them are more bonded.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32276.0.html

Apparently, Boston and Ky are fond of each other, whereas Puzo really couldn't care less if the others were around. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 19:08:28 PM »
We are 100% committed! Possum was treated like a queen and the next cats we have will be given the same 5 star treatment.

I just hope we can convince others of this...  :scared:

Thanks for your comments Angie

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 18:59:35 PM »
As long as you are sure that you are fully committed to keeping the cats for life and can convince the rescue of this.
Theres always a worry that people who are not fully settled into their lives and careers will feel the need to rehome the cats when a new job / house move / baby comes along.

If you honestly feel that you cannot make this commitment then perhaps you could consider helping a charity out by fostering.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 18:58:20 PM »
Thanks Claire_smc

We definitely want to get 2 cats anyway and we have a cat flap. It's going to be heartbreaking if we fall for 2 and they won't let us have them  :(

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 18:42:11 PM »
if you and your partner are both going to be out for a large portion of the day then it might be worth getting two cats so they can keep themselves company during the day when no-one is home, a lot of the rescue sites I look at have pairs who need to be homed together, or cats who are familiar with each other and would prefer to stay together in their new home. I suppose it also depends on if the cat/s will have outdoor access, as if they're kept indoors all the time they will probably get bored faster and will need a lot more stimulation in their environment and a lot of interaction when you are at home. Otherwise I don't see too much of a problem, there will always be cats that don't mind being left by themselves for a while and don't need constant attention, it's just about matching the cat to your living situation which is important.

Some rescues will tell you that you can't adopt from them if you will both be working full time, it all depends where you go. In my experience the large rescues will have set rules about things like this whereas small independant rescues will be more likely to consider each case on it's own merits.

hope this helps a bit!

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
Begining the journey of rescuing puddy tats
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 18:14:29 PM »
Hey peeps!

Alex & I talked today about feeling ready to adopt a couple of puddys. Alex works full time and I'm about to enter my 3rd year at Uni (which involves placement and academic)

Are we gonna face a lot of barriers because we are not at home 24/7??

Apologies if questions like this have already been posted, I guess it's easier to start a new topic than trawl through trying to find something similar!  :evillaugh:

I thought it would be better to rehome now while I have opportunities to be at home, rather than when I'm qualfied and defo working full time (and shifts too)

I would arrange the timing of new additions for when I'm on academic or on a reading week - so that I'm there to settle them in etc...

Your opinions/experience would be gratefully received!

Hayley  :shy:

Link to CatChat