Author Topic: I'm having kittens......! UPDATE New Pics!  (Read 13865 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: I'm having kittens......! on solid food now
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
Sitting here laughing......how much mess can two midget kittens make  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: I'm having kittens......! on solid food now
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 00:46:56 AM »
Fantastic work, Gillian!  :wow:

It's always funny seeing them learn about solids. It's always messy.  :innocent: They paddle in it, fight each other in it, lay in it, try to sleep in it.. and I've even had one that took a dump in it.  :rofl: :rofl: They seem to try to do anything with a bowl of food... fingers crossed more of it ends up inside their tums than plastered over their fur but it doesn't always work out that way.  :evillaugh:

Should be some ace Kodak moments coming in the next few days do get some more batteries in for the camera.  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: I'm having kittens......! PICS 12th Aug
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 00:26:40 AM »
Yep, coach trip, you can all take turns doing the kitten feeds - and then cleaning up afterwards!...... :innocent:

27 days old - thats nearly 4 weeks, but they are still so tiny. Started introducing some meat now - made it into porridge with the milk - as per instructions   :innocent: and offered on teaspoon first, grey one got it straight away, so lowered the spoon into the saucer - and in he plunged  :evillaugh: . Black one a bit hesitant about lapping and porridge - but this afternoon he made up for lost time and took a dive into the saucer - as you can see!  :evillaugh:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2010, 22:34:46 PM »
I'm lurking on this thread with interest as you are 9? days ahead of me. (mine are 14 days today).

well done, its hard worrying work is this. Got my midnight feed to go and then zzzzzzzz.....

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 18:05:03 PM »
sounds like you are doing a great job Gillian!!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 16:40:14 PM »
Yas , I agree Gill - I think an inspection is vital......................and I appear to have Thursday off this week......... :shify:

I also agree - good idea Gill - maybe we could have a Purrs coach trip - then I can inspect All the Persians, the Moggies and not forgetting Juliet and Chico and the other fosters - it'll have to be longer than a day trip  :evillaugh:  :rofl: :hug: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
Oh my how cute  :Luv2: and yes they do look like little hedgehogs  :evillaugh: well done Gillian  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:19 AM »
Yas , I agree Gill - I think an inspection is vital......................and I appear to have Thursday off this week......... :shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:05 AM »
They are so cute and especially love the grey one  ;D

I think its my duty to come and inspect them for Purrs  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2010, 00:35:52 AM »
More exciting than wining the Lotto  :hug:

Yep, can't believe how chuffed I am that he did a wee in the tray LOL!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2010, 00:30:31 AM »
Hooray for weeing in a litter tray  :hug: :rofl: ;)

More exciting than wining the Lotto  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2010, 00:22:32 AM »
Thats brilliant Julie, thanks  :thanks: I've printed those instructions out and am starting the process of teaching lapping, hmmmm!  :-: this has just resulted in very sticky, milky fingers, and sticky, milky paws - but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it soon!  :tired: BUT - big breakthrough, wait for it.........black one used the litter tray for a wee today - yay!!!!  :wow: I popped him in it and scratched around with his little paws - and hey presto!

Sorry Gillian, still haven't sent the teats, had an emergency with my mum taken into hospital.  I promised to get them to you over the weekend.

Don't worry Lesley, they seem to be doing ok with the syringe now. Hope your mum's ok  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2010, 15:33:51 PM »
Good luck with them, someone on CC has said that she finds they can sometimes eat before they can
lap, so might be worth trying kitten meat - the woman I used to foster for favoured the whiskas kitten supermeat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »
Forgot to add... Around 3/4 weeks I place a litter tray near them. As they start to wonder around they usually find it naturally. If not, when I see them squatting for a pee or poo, I scoop them up and dump them in the tray. Sometimes I get hold of their little paws and help them scratch around in the litter. Kittens love digging and when they discover the tray you can barely keep them out! You'll think you've got a little troop of coal miners and want to stick little lamps on their heads.  :rofl: Make sure you use wood pellets as they will often try to eat clay or small granules and it can bung them up.  :doh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 02:22:13 AM »
Now they are getting to the kind of age I'm more used to - I chicken out of the first 2/3 weeks if I can and get someone else to take them.  :evillaugh:

No point in messing with meat until they can lap properly, so I'd focus on that first. See if you can get them to lick milk from your fingers. Once they've mastered that, guide them with your milky fingers to the bowl of milk. If necessary stick your fingers in the bowl too so as they are licking your milky fingers, they have to lap at the milk bowl as well. They should pick it up in no time.  ;) I suspect your grey one can actually lap very well and hasn't forgotten at all... he's being crafty and lazy and they WILL try it on with you as it's easier for them being fed by bottle than it is to lap in the early stages.  :innocent:

I always offer a bottle in addition to lapping for a few days at least. Perhaps 2 bottles a day to 2/3 bowls of milk. Maybe for a week until I can see they are lapping strongly. They will need practice as they will just go swimming in it at first.  :evillaugh: Once they are lapping strongly, I discontinue the bottles unless I think they are having a struggle - sometimes a sibbling hogs the bowl and the smallest one can't get near.  :shy: And it doesn't matter how many bowls you supply, they WILL all try to drink out of the same bowl.  :tired: :evillaugh:

Four weeks old is usually the time I think about making a milky meat mush, but it does depend on how I think they are progressing. Some are ready sooner, some need a few more days. And I make it very milky, like a very runny porridge. I offer that two or three times a day plus a bowl of plain milk 2 or 3 times a day. After a few days on the really runny mush, I make the mixture gradually thicker each day until they are on 100% meat with no milk mixed in. At first you will find only one full meat meal a day is enough to send them to sleep for hours.  :evillaugh:

About 5/6 weeks they are down to one bowl of milk a day most days, maybe now and again 2 bowls if they are struggling, and I gradually phase the milk out by the 7th week and try to get them on water instead. They do protest as kittens love their milk (like human babies  :evillaugh: ) but sooner or later they have to accept they are big kittens now.  :innocent:

Every litter is different. Some take to it really well while others take their time. So all the above is a rough guide only.  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 23:40:28 PM »
Gillian, I know the next step.......adopt them  :evillaugh: :rofl: :naughty: :evillaugh: :naughty: :hug:

Then you will never have a spare minute to yourself  :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 23:28:04 PM »
Whilst waiting for the kitten experts.....

Just wanted to say how adorable they all are Gillian and to tell peeps they can left click on pics to make them hoooge swoooooooon :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 21:44:45 PM »
Ta!  :thanks:

OK, kitten experts, whats the next step? They are 23 days old (supposedly - I reckon they look younger than that), they are still having the formula every 4 hours or so (not through the night) and these past few days they've been taking about 20ml each time - how does that sound? Still being bottle fed - the little grey one did have a go at lapping a few days ago, but seems to have forgotten how to do it now!  :doh: Do I start introducing some kitten food now? I know it has to be mixed in with the milk to make a kind of soup  :sick: and do I just put that on a teaspoon and see if they lap at it? or is it too soon to start on the kitten food yet? and if I can start introducing it - do I still do milk feeds plus kitten food slop feeds  :evillaugh: or do I substitute one (or more) of the milk feeds for the slop feed? So many questions!  :innocent:

They are still in the carrier (soon to transfer into a proper kitten pen), but at the moment, each time I've fed them, they have a little wander around and a play on the big towel I lay out at each feed, they are quite active, sort of wobbly mobile, they climb onto my legs when I'm sat down. Also, can I start introducing them to a litter tray?

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 18:08:41 PM »
i love the photos! sooooo pretty! xxx
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »
Awwww they're SO tiny Gillian-don't know how you're coping, i'd be a wreck! Well done!   :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 23:55:04 PM »
Hmmm.... wash, cut and blow dry and even teaching one how tuse a brush  :rofl: :Luv2: :hug:

Love the pics  :Luv2: :Luv:

Mary

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 23:34:39 PM »
Sorry Gillian, still haven't sent the teats, had an emergency with my mum taken into hospital.  I promised to get them to you over the weekend. :sorry:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 23:06:19 PM »
Oh, bless.... their first visit to the beauty parlour!  :evillaugh:

They look like they're coming along just fine. Well done!  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Re: I'm having kittens......! NEW PICS 10th Aug
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 22:58:06 PM »
I adore those pics - you're doing really well Gillian  :hug:

Thanks  :thanks:

They had their little wash and brush up and looked much better (for a few hours anyway  :tired: ). They loved it too - the warm water and the blow dry, I'm sure they felt better, they certainly smelt better!

Here they are today:

Get me outta here!  :evillaugh:

Not sure whether I was going up or getting down!

Come on bruv (or sis  :-[ ), you can do it

I love this brush  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »
I adore those pics - you're doing really well Gillian  :hug:

Mary

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2010, 23:24:28 PM »
OK, thanks  :thanks:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2010, 23:19:37 PM »
Can I use a shampoo? baby shampoo? when I wash their bodies.

Just plain water. Nothing else. Make really sure it's only tepid of course - not too hot, not too cold. (Goes without saying as far as you're concerned but just in case someone else less able stumbles across this thread in the future.  :innocent: ) The key thing is to control temperature and dry them as quick as possible afterwards. A dunking and a bit of a soak isn't going to do any harm now the umbilicus is firmly sealed.  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2010, 23:10:42 PM »
I don't think I'd be able to part with them after hand-rearing them, :luck: !

omg how will you part with them???  look at those little paws

Thats why I havent named them.....if I don't name them.....  ;)

Thanks Leslie and Julie - I wipe their faces each time I feed them, but the little grey one's face is all sticky with poo too  :sick: I've tried a moistened baby's soft toothbrush to get in between and around his eyes and round his cheeks, but it really is plastered on! I got him looking really good last night before bedtime, managed to fluff up round his face a bit - looked in this morning and there he was all slicked back again  :tired:

Can I use a shampoo? baby shampoo? when I wash their bodies.

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2010, 21:57:04 PM »
 :Luv: you are so amazing looking after these delightful little darlings well done they look great! :Luv2:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2010, 18:22:55 PM »
omg how will you part with them???  look at those little paws

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2010, 17:11:22 PM »
Yes, I always wipe their faces off as milk seems to get on their chins and down their necks.

Yes, Gillian, if they get really yucky, I will give them a dunking with just warm water, keeping their heads dry, wipe them down with a dampened babywipe,  a good towel dry and then a blow dry with a very cool hairdryer, to get the majority of the dampness off,  before placing them on the heat pad.  They often fluff up like little cotton wool balls.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 17:13:37 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2010, 17:00:16 PM »
I'm not sure what Lesley does but when I get one that needs bottle feeding, I clean their mouths and chins with a wet cotton wool ball afterward to get all the excess milk off their coats. Stale milk attracts flies. This time of year it only takes an hour or two and they'll have fly eggs all over the ickle faces.  :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2010, 16:40:22 PM »
Don't forget I'm not handrearing at the moment, I've got mums keeping all mine clean and six of them have two mums doing the work.

My handrears always look a bit bedraggled and I often have to give them a full wash to get them looking decent.  It doesn't help when they start pooing for themselves as you have no control over where or who it goes on, and then when they start eating for themselves their faces get filthy as well. :rofl: =

Will send some more teats today - might be too late for these ones, but I'm sure they won't be the last. :innocent:

Yes, I got confused thinking it was you handrearing, but it was Angie - so deleted my question but you saw it anyway LOL!  :-[ - oh I'm glad its not just my kittens doing that with the poo - thought I was doing something wrong not be able to keep them clean, especially grey ones face! when you say full wash - what do you mean, a full dunking in warm water, not face obivously?

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2010, 16:33:54 PM »
Don't forget I'm not handrearing at the moment, I've got mums keeping all mine clean and six of them have two mums doing the work.

My handrears always look a bit bedraggled and I often have to give them a full wash to get them looking decent.  It doesn't help when they start pooing for themselves as you have no control over where or who it goes on, and then when they start eating for themselves their faces get filthy as well. :rofl: =

Will send some more teats today - might be too late for these ones, but I'm sure they won't be the last. :innocent:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2010, 16:28:50 PM »
Hi Lesley - no teats have arrived yet I'm afraid  :( 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 16:33:42 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2010, 16:13:08 PM »
They look gorgeous Gillian - did the teats arrive okay and have they been of benefit to you?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2010, 16:04:24 PM »
Awww look  at their little paws  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 15:59:09 PM »
 :omg: they're so cute!

I don't think I'd be able to part with them after hand-rearing them, :luck: !

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Re: I'm having kittens......! PIC added
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 15:57:21 PM »
They are 20 days old now - still struggling a bit with the grey one, we've had 3 visits to the vet so far, last one on Monday for a vit B jab as he wasnt taking any milk and it was all I could do to get some lectade into him. Oddly though, after our vet visit on Saturday - I offered the grey one some milk on a teaspoon - and he just lapped it like he'd always done it - brilliant I thought.....spoke to soon, then he stopped drinking at all, hence the vet visit again. Appetite better again now, still not taking as much as I'd like - and he seems to have forgotten how to lap, so its back to the syringe  :tired: Both are gaining weight though, so I must be doing something right!

Grey one is still suckling the black one's bottom - and getting poo and wee all over his face in the process - he is a disaster really  :Crazy:

These were taken a few days ago.....Black (and white) one waves hello!

Bit of a snooze on the play mat - look out, grey one coming in from the left!

Oh, launched his attack  :evillaugh:

Tickle me tummy!

Getting them used to grooming at an early age  :evillaugh: (yes I know its an enormous brush - but its real bristle and the seem to love it - only use it gently of course) Grey one got a bit of a Mohican - think he looks like a baby hedgehog now!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: I'm having kittens......! PIC added
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 18:06:53 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh yes can see that now, thanks Gillian  ;D

Link to CatChat